The old 'Ice Cream' Families of Sheffield

My father inherited a small "Ice Cream Firm" from his dad, they used to ply their wares from a tricycle the turn of the century around Jump, Hoyland, Elsecar, Wombwell areas. We are of Italian origin moving through Wales C1880s. I cant find any reference to the Bryan or Bryant family selling Ice Cream. I would be gratefull of any info.

When did your father inherit the business. On the face of it it's not a very italian sounding name, you could imagine them trading as Bryani's or something foreign sounding.

My father sold it around the time of the Great War. Yes I admit its a strange sounding name for Italian Ice Cream sellers. It will of been changed as they were travelling migrants in fear of persecution. The most likely name would be Bruzzi.

Hi thomaspaine

did your ronksley ancestors run or own the sportsman pub around 1901 - 83 well road? names of Isaac & Caroline Ronksley on 1901 census ages 43 & 42

My father sold it around the time of the Great War. Yes I admit its a strange sounding name for Italian Ice Cream sellers. It will of been changed as they were travelling migrants in fear of persecution. The most likely name would be Bruzzi.

I'm sorry my history is not better but why would Italians fear persecution in the WW1? was they in that war ? 2nd war they had reason to be nervous ,I don't know if U.K had any internment but in Canada all Japanese were placed in P.O.W camps(as such) untill the end,I know Italy invaded Ethiopia at one time but I don't think that bother the English:confused::confused::confused:

Mmmmm! Nipping round to Manfredi's on a Sunday afternoon with a bowl, asking for ten-pence-worth & seeing it full to the brim! The little old lady, Mrs Manfredi, (complete with pinny & headscarf), couldn't speak English very well, but knew what I wanted. It was worth braving the alsatian for!

Mmmmm! Nipping round to Manfredi's on a Sunday afternoon with a bowl, asking for ten-pence-worth & seeing it full to the brim! The little old lady, Mrs Manfredi, (complete with pinny & headscarf), couldn't speak English very well, but knew what I wanted. It was worth braving the alsatian for!

use to play with the lads around 39 they'ed be 73and 75 by now 511 Penistone rd :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I was a "van lass" for monfredi's of 533 penistone Road from 1969 to 1973. We were known as Monty's and had bright yellow and white striped vans. I worked with Matt and Olive's daughter Sheila first on Parson Cross then with daughter-in-law Edna up Crookes. Finally I worked with Matt himself who did the 'Rawmarsh Run'. Happy Days

I was a "van lass" for monfredi's of 533 penistone Road from 1969 to 1973. We were known as Monty's and had bright yellow and white striped vans. I worked with Matt and Olive's daughter Sheila first on Parson Cross then with daughter-in-law Edna up Crookes. Finally I worked with Matt himself who did the 'Rawmarsh Run'. Happy Days

1938 is a long way back and to a 5yr old every-one is old but as i remember it,Matt the great grand father his children had two sons and maybe daughters, so grand sons the same age as me 73-75 Matt would be around 120 in1970 or is Matt grandson to Matt if so he would br one of the two boys i played with in their barn.So you be one of them modern girls vans in- deed what wrong with the the nice horse drawn carts:hihi::hihi::hihi:

1970's Matt was probably one of the kids you knew. He kept what he said was his dads old cart in a garage in the scrapyard at the back of the ice cream yard. No idea what happened to it tho'

There was a family of ice cream men who used to go in the carousel pub in chapeltown in the early 80s. one of them used to play an accordian he was fanfastic. I think they were based at hillsborough

1970's Matt was probably one of the kids you knew. He kept what he said was his dads old cart in a garage in the scrapyard at the back of the ice cream yard. No idea what happened to it tho'

I once told the story (with not good outcome )of Irish icecream vendor took one of the old horse & carts out just happen to be on the day the Italians joined the war ,he came back all bloody ,some of the local gents had turned up his horse & cart and draging through that alley way he was mumbling "and I told them I was Irish Begorra",the thing that got me in to trouble was mention of his black curly hair & gold ear-ring,I wont may that mistake again I'll just sit here with my warped sense & smile to my self

A bit of a guess but I'd say about 6ish pony & carts delivered from there,was a big no no to go in the stable's ,but Matt and his brother would take us in when nobody around,they too a little nervous the stable was along the back wall right next door to the Icecream making machine try getting that passed today,rules where a little different back then.