Langsett Cycles

I worked at Langsett Industries from 1966 to 1969 in the polishing shop and remember we were allowed to call Mr Smith by his first name as long as we put "Mr" in front and the same went for his son who was about 4yrs younger than me at maybe 18, so Mr Edward and Mr Stewart it was but no one seemed to mind. We polished stainless steel to a mirror finish i.e. industrial sink units which were made by "Sissons" on Mary Street I think, potato scoops and weight scales for grocery shops and picture frames. We also did the first perspex beer pump blocks for the then new electric pumps.

Whilst reading through the threads I noticed that Lazarus wrote on 29-08-2005 he polished lorry emblems for Foden around that time and I wouldn't dispute that but I remember the lorry emblems as being for Seddon.

We also did work for the Milk Marketing Board and traveled to Wakefield to polish stainless tanks which held hundreds of gallons of milk and were fitted to lorries to take the milk all over the uk. I still have the photos I took of the tanks with myself and three workmates, Howard, Mick and Steve, we were paid 6s-6d an hr for a 45hr week. I remember the time we asked for a 6d an hour pay rise and the Foreman who was Wilf Turner called a meeting for us with Mr Edward, we ended up after a 1/2 hr meeting ( which was our dinner break ) settling for 3d an hr, Wilf convinced us that it was in our best interest to accept the 3d, I was told later on that Mr Edward gave Wilf 1 shilling an hr as a thank you, he certainly knew how to look after himself did Wilf.

Around that time, Mr Edward bought a brand new Rover and told us it was a status symbol for the Company and would help to get us more work when customers saw how well we were doing, so it wasn't his car but our car and one of the workers said in that case can I have it on Tuesday and Friday.

I worked at Langsett Industries from 1966 to 1969 in the polishing shop and remember we were allowed to call Mr Smith by his first name as long as we put "Mr" in front and the same went for his son who was about 4yrs younger than me at maybe 18, so Mr Edward and Mr Stewart it was but no one seemed to mind. We polished stainless steel to a mirror finish i.e. industrial sink units which were made by "Sissons" on Mary Street I think, potato scoops and weight scales for grocery shops and picture frames. We also did the first perspex beer pump blocks for the then new electric pumps.

Whilst reading through the threads I noticed that Lazarus wrote on 29-08-2005 he polished lorry emblems for Foden around that time and I wouldn't dispute that but I remember the lorry emblems as being for Seddon.

We also did work for the Milk Marketing Board and traveled to Wakefield to polish stainless tanks which held hundreds of gallons of milk and were fitted to lorries to take the milk all over the uk. I still have the photos I took of the tanks with myself and three workmates, Howard, Mick and Steve, we were paid 6s-6d an hr for a 45hr week. I remember the time we asked for a 6d an hour pay rise and the Foreman who was Wilf Turner called a meeting for us with Mr Edward, we ended up after a 1/2 hr meeting ( which was our dinner break ) settling for 3d an hr, Wilf convinced us that it was in our best interest to accept the 3d, I was told later on that Mr Edward gave Wilf 1 shilling an hr as a thank you, he certainly knew how to look after himself did Wilf.

Around that time, Mr Edward bought a brand new Rover and told us it was a status symbol for the Company and would help to get us more work when customers saw how well we were doing, so it wasn't his car but our car and one of the workers said in that case can I have it on Tuesday and Friday.

Don't throw that away, it may come in handy even if we never use it.

My Dad had a 'Langsett Litweight' 24" framed bike around time of the begining of WWII.

My older brother used it to go to work on right up until the late 50s.

Hi, I bought a Langsett racing bike in 1961 when I was 14, fitted with Campag Record gear, sprints tubs etc. I raced it till 1969 when I went out to Africa to work. Having returned many years ago I now live in Perthshire and use the bike every week. Its in perfect running order gorgeously crafted with beautiful pencil thin chain stays and ten gears ( Campag Record of course ).

In 1962 I took it out to France and rode the Pyrenees mountain stages of The Tour de France, over the Tourmalet, Aspin, etc. I must have been 15 and had never had a drop of alcohol untill that trip, when almost every roadside cafe owner invited me in for chat and free drinks!!! I was treated wonderfully by the French who would cheer me up the mountains and would be waiting for me at the tops enthusiastically inviting me to share their picnics spread out from their car boots. I thought I was a man but what they saw was a little kid! I remember seeing one British car all trip. It was a MINI, just new out then. I'd arrive in villages for the night and all the kids would come out to speak to me. The girls were a complete WOW, gorgeous skin and exotic Franglaise. I fell in love every night. And for the first time in my life I was revelling in being the centre of attention!!!

That trip gave me confidence for what was to become a most wonderful and adventurous life. The bike actually cost me £82 with all the gear. My father would have been horrified if he had known the price which must have been the equivalent of about two months of his wages. But I got the money together by working in The Spanish City Fairground in Whitley Bay.I paid £12.50 for the campag chainset in 6p and 3p pieces! ( My father is still alive at 100 and thinks in terms of £2.50 per week bing a half decent London wage!!! -- I've just bought myself a Condor Leggero Team Bike with full dura Ace 7900 kit! I wouldn't dare tell him what that cost - he'd write me out of his will!!!!)

Peter Chisman from Houghton le Spring in Durham, who won the Milk Race (Tour of Britain) back in the early 60s used to ride a Langsett in the 'league blind', a hard training training night we used to have on Thursdays in the Newcastle area. He was a great, friendly guy, now sadly passed away. I'm fairly sure he rode his Langsett in his winning Tour too.

I still ADORE the bike. the gear is all perfect though the frame paintwork is suffering the ravages of time to a minor degree.

I wonder if it has any value beyond the sentimental and whether it would be wise or unwise to have the frame re-enamelled. And for that matter whether there's any company around that could make a brilliant job of it with original-style transfers etc.??

I could write much more about this bike and its experiences, but I'm sure you're getting bored

But I'd also be really interested in any comments.

Thank you so much for reading me.

Happy biking.Have fun.

from

Young Davie.

Edited by David Lee

h i, Just hoped someone might be interested in my little Langsett Biography just submitted. I hope it might make someone smile.

As a collector (in a small way) of 'proper' bicycles I bought, about six months ago, a Langsett from the original owner who had bought the frame new as a teenager in 1956. Some people have suggested it's not such a great bike but I disagree, Langsett were very well thought of in the 50's and a lot of very good riders had one. Mine was re-finished in the eighties by JF Wilson and still looks pretty good, I think it is a 'Proffessional' model. Someone was asking if this type of bike is worth any money and the answer is that they are, there is a growing interest in post war steel bikes. Loved the story about riding round France on one as a teenager. Who needs clubbing?

Hi SDP.

thanks, I may look up the restorer of your frame. Mine was the top of the range at the time though I don't recall the epthet 'professional'. I know in the N.E. club scene of the 60s it was regarded as the top bike among many brilliant makes.

there was a penny farthin .it sat in the window wat use to be the chinese chippy wen kelvin flats were there.

I feel that it should be pointed out that the original Sheffield Langsett bikes name has nothing whatsover to do with Langsett cycles on Infirmary road. Its just coincindental that they used the name langsett and operated in the same vicinity. There may have been some ties between the 2 businesses (eg supply of components (I dunno)), but thats it.

The modern day langsett cycles at one time had 3 shops - the big one at infirmary road, the one near manor top and a stall in sheaf market.

Just a note to rjbleazard. I don't want to disappoint you, but the Sheffield Langsett bike you have sounds like the one that I built up about 5 years ago.

I think the frame dates from the early 1950s. It is a small frame , pale blue with white panels (if you can let me know the frame number I might be able to date it accurately for you). The components used where aquired from friends & ebay. Incidentally I am looking for another Sheffield Langsett frame size 21.5'' to 22'' to build into a period bike & keep. So if anyone has one please get in touch. I also have a Sheffield Langsett frame for sale,it is too big for me at 23'' and I think it dates from the 1930s/40s

Hi Hyper

Stuart Smith who is the Grandson of the founder of Langett Cycles, Herbert Smith has published a fantastic book about the shop from it starting trading in 1890 up to the Smith family selling the business on as a going concern in 1967.

Its a great book with loads of old photos, the book shows that not all of what you say is true as the Langsett bikes and the shop were one of the same.

You can buy the book at Langsett Cycles which is still trading sucessfully on Infirmary Rd as it has done on there since 1930.

New to this site. I see your posting is five years old. I was just looking to see if Langsett Cycles still manufactured their own frames but they appear to sell Dawes and the like only. I bought my last Langsett 48 years ago. It's still in perfect nick apart from a slight dent in the top tube. I got that when some so and so chopped me and brought me off when I was sprinting for the finish up Manchester Road in a mass start many years ago. I should have won that but I lost a load of skin instead. Lol

Has anyone else still got a vintage frame?

Hi.

I have a frame hanging up in my workshop, I think it dates from the 1940s, it has fancy lugs, faded Sheffield-langsett transfers & measures about 23''.

It is fro sale if you know anyone that is interested.

Regards, Bob.