Langsett Cycles

I worked at Langsett Cycles in the early 90s (Mansfield Rd branch). There was never any talk about a unicycle over the door of the Infirmary Rd branch :?

Les Taylor owned it back then and i think Andy Elston ownes it now.

Hello reptep, I worked at Langsett in 1968 for a few months they were a good set of lads. I worked in the same shop as Les Priest, Lou, Tony and a lad called Mick. Used to remeber going on site to Fletchers bread and their cheap canteen meals (magic). I can remeber a couple of welders they were Tom, he was a big lad and Billy Knutt. First time I got drunk at Christmas eve dinnertime went up town with the lads Iwas only 15. Is the old place still standing now. I seem to recall they called the boss Rupert and he used to deliver tanks in the Rover he drove. I used to make the waste bins for christmas boxes and the women used to cover the with suede cloth.

Yes the firm is still standing, a mate of mine had a joiners shop in what was Smith'ys office, it still had the big walk in safe at the back, Les Lou Tony and Mick were the same team as I worked with, but i was gone by 68.

I worked at the Green Lane factory and remember Les priest. They manufactured the famous bikes on the top floor, as I recall a relative of the owner worked in that area also. They fabricated stainless steel items and assembled light machinery for the confectionary and tobacco industries on the bottom floor (or they did when I worked there.) I know that ownership must be probably long gone by now and I've no idea if the Langsett bikes are still being made elsewhere, but I seem to recollect that, the building on Green Lane or part of it, got turned into some recording studio and was used by some famous 'Stars'. Perhaps some Forum members could elaborate.

My brother Jim worked at Langsett Cycles bike shop from 1949 until he got called up for the forces in 51 , he remembers the penny Farthing WAS on the shop front at the time, but got taken down for safety reasons.

Mr Smith the owner, had 2 son's, Rupert Allen & Edward Stewart Smith, the company also made rolling machines for a company called Rose Bros, which was based at Gainsborough at that time & also other machines and of course the cycles.

In the 1940s before Albert Butterworth put that penny farthing up, some of us tried riding it. It was very hard and Albert stopped us in case it got banged up or we did.

Me and my twin brother got a bike each for our birthday when we were about 12/13 from there in the 60s.Never forget my Dad taking me and my bro to fetch em from shop we had no idea we were getting them, Gears on and everything else.there was no way my dad could afford them.It put him and my mum in ock for ages paying for em the pleasure we got from them was brill went everywhere on them.

I bought mi first racing bike from there in the mid sixties.

Dad had to sign the "never never papers" and I payed ten shillings a week out of mi paper round money until it was paid for.

Best bike I ever had.

New to this site. I see your posting is five years old. I was just looking to see if Langsett Cycles still manufactured their own frames but they appear to sell Dawes and the like only. I bought my last Langsett 48 years ago. It's still in perfect nick apart from a slight dent in the top tube. I got that when some so and so chopped me and brought me off when I was sprinting for the finish up Manchester Road in a mass start many years ago. I should have won that but I lost a load of skin instead. Lol

Has anyone else still got a vintage frame?

Hi Crusader1943

I still have my Langsett cycle circa 1950's. One day I'll get it back in roadworthy condition, no parts missing but in pieces. I spent many happy hours on that bike but I wouldn't like to use it on the busy roads today. Are these old bikes worth anything?

PopT

My Dad being quite tall had a custom 24" Langsett frame made in the mid/late 30s.

The bike was fixed wheel, my brother use it until the end of the 50s, after that it was left to rust.

I bought a Sheffield Langsett bike from a mate back in '48. That was fixed wheel too, a 14 cog if I remember right. I had to have it, the only trouble was the frame was too small for me really, but with what seemed like a mile of saddle stem sticking out the crossbar I got along. But I clearly remember it had 'Sheffield Langsett' as the logo, not just 'Langsett'. It was a mid blue color with black lettering.