Peak District - Kinder Downfall

I'm going out to the Peak District (for the first time!) this weekend with my bf, mostly for photo opportunities. I'm interested in taking in Kinder Downfall, and any other interesting scenery (e.g. cairns, stone circles, tors, etc).

We'll be driving out there then wandering around. Can anyone give directions to Kinder Downfall, and tell me of any other interesting stuff in the area?

papillon,

If you don't know where Kinder Downfall is, don't go there. First of all you need foul weather gear along with proper walking boots, second you need a good Ordnance Survey map and third you could also do with a decent compass and know how to use both of them. You couldn't have picked a more dangerous place in the Peak District.

Take my advice, stick to safer places down in the valley bottoms until you have had a lot more experience in the Peak District.

I'm going out to the Peak District (for the first time!) this weekend with my bf, mostly for photo opportunities. I'm interested in taking in Kinder Downfall, and any other interesting scenery (e.g. cairns, stone circles, tors, etc).

We'll be driving out there then wandering around. Can anyone give directions to Kinder Downfall, and tell me of any other interesting stuff in the area?

Please follow EXTAXMAN'S advice. You can loose your life on the high ground of the Peak District and more importantly cause others to risk their own looking for you.

papillon,

If you don't know where Kinder Downfall is, don't go there.

Steady on there, if we all took that attitude we'd never leave the house!

Tell you what, if you're new to it all go on some of the guided walks run by the National Park Ranger Service. They'll look after you!

They do walks onto Kinder, Bleaklow, Derwent, Howden Moors, all these high areas where you might face certain death!

:)

http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/index/visiting/ranger-walks.htm

B

Well, according to this map:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=407500&y=388500&z=3&sv=407500,388500&st=4&ar=N&ax=406850&ay=389850

you shouldn't really be at the bottom of the waterfall (or any sensible places for taking photo's) so if you aren't equipped and expert at climbing down wet sheer rock faces, I'd give it a miss ;)

Have you seen how inhospitable it is? :suspect:http://www.peakphotos.co.uk/kinder_downfall.jpg

Go and have a meander about ontop of kinder plateau instead, and photograph the natural Henry Moore sculptures :thumbsup: (pick a clear day though, coz it's easy to lose the paths up there ;) )

have a look at some of ours from our trip up there first :thumbsup:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=141078

On many occasions the top is the best place to take pictures of the water, as its actually being blown by the wind back up onto the plateau!

Seriously though if the OP is new to this and not very confident with the old map and compass malarkey I would suggest a guided walk or maybe tag along next time the group goes up.

Even in summer you can get lost quite easily, especially if you wander onto the actual plateau….

B

Blimey, maybe I'd be better off exploring Antarctica!

I guess we'll give that one a miss, then.

Blimey, maybe I'd be better off exploring Antarctica!

I guess we'll give that one a miss, then.

Good.

Shackleton or Scott would not have advised you to visit Antarctica either with your atitude. It is YOUR OWN life that is our concern. Not extaxman or myself.

My attitude? :confused: I didn't realise I'd expressed anything of the sort.

For the record, we didn't go off the beaten track, just around Ladybower and across Snake Pass.

My attitude? :confused: I didn't realise I'd expressed anything of the sort.

For the record, we didn't go off the beaten track, just around Ladybower and across Snake Pass.

Sorry Papillon - I may have over re-acted somewhat.

But please always remember the high moorlands of the Grey Peak District are and can be a very, very dangerous place. A number of people have got lost or have lost there life on these moorlands over the years. It is other people who frequently are in conveniences to go and search for them and bring them back home.

Sorry Papillon - I may have over re-acted somewhat.

But please always remember the high moorlands of the Grey Peak District are and can be a very, very dangerous place. A number of people have got lost or have lost there life on these moorlands over the years. It is other people who frequently are in conveniences to go and search for them and bring them back home.

I got lost up there in January last year.

I had a map and compass and I've been up there many times over the years and know the paths pretty well. Anyhow a fog descended from nowhere reducing visibility to < 5 metres. Suddenly all reference points were lost. After getting completely disorientated it started getting dark. At this point I just started going downhill (literally not mentally!). I ended up a few miles away from where I expected and overall the walk ended up being two hours longer than I anticipated.

Not a pleasant experience!

I got lost up there in January last year.

I had a map and compass and I've been up there many times over the years and know the paths pretty well. Anyhow a fog descended from nowhere reducing visibility to < 5 metres. Suddenly all reference points were lost. After getting completely disorientated it started getting dark. At this point I just started going downhill (literally not mentally!). I ended up a few miles away from where I expected and overall the walk ended up being two hours longer than I anticipated.

Not a pleasant experience!

At a guess I would say that many could write of a similar experience, I can only trust that many others read of yours and remember it.

I trust that everyone enjoys the Peak District National Park. Which through the voluntary work of the Council for the Protection of Rural England.(C.P.R.E.) in past years we are fortunate to live so close to. But always remember it can be dangerous on odd occasions.