A personal touch: Advice for a knitted present

my mums going through a tough time so i though i would cheer her up and send her something to keep her warm as shes always cold. i could easily go out and buy her a jumper or something but i know how much it would mean to her if i made it myself. it would make her month!!!

so i know nothing about knitting and would like to know where to start to make her something relatively easyish. any ideas and pointers about what to buy from where would be very welcome!

and i seen you have a meet planned, would i be able to come along and get some advice or are they for you experts to swap cross stitches and points of view for the reasons of dropping a stitch??

(that was all the jargon i know im afraid)

im in your hands so please be gentle :help:

If this is your first attempt at knitting then a scarf or a hat may be called for. Happy to help you if you call by:D

why thank you, a hat would be better i think, a scarf wouldnt really keep her warm unless its more of a blanket! actually, is a blanket hard? i dont even know how long it takes but i guess i could do it while watching a dvd or summit, not that i think it will be done in a few hours..

Good grief. I thought you were joking :lol: .

Knitting something for your mum is a lovely idea. Knitting is an acquired skill though, and it does take a bit of practice to get the hang of it. I'd certainly recommend the meeting (or even just popping in to see Jill at the Wool Baa one afternoon), because there's nothing better than getting someone to show you what to do first hand.

I'd go with Jill's idea and recommend a scarf. You can do a really simple pattern and make it special by using lovely yarn. I'm not sure about the hat, because that would involve some seaming or using DPNs/a circular needle. best to get the basic knitting down first.

Let us know if you like the idea of a scarf, and we'll come up with some suggestions.

Just to put my cynical hat on for a minute - If you're trolling my group, Preacher, bear in mind that I can cause some serious damage with a pointy stick :twisted: .

Welcome to the Knitting Group though ;) .

why thank you, a hat would be better i think, a scarf wouldnt really keep her warm unless its more of a blanket! actually, is a blanket hard? i dont even know how long it takes but i guess i could do it while watching a dvd or summit, not that i think it will be done in a few hours..

If you'd really like to make a hat, you can learn the techniques involved if you're feeling brave. You'd have to learn about decreasing stitches, as well as the basics, but you could always get someone else to do the seaming for you if you want to avoid the DPNs (double pointed needles) or circulars.

A blanket would be an idea (maybe a small throw type-thing), but it'd be expensive (possibly) and time-consuming (certainly).

i have never been so insulted by one so sweet :o

my intentions are to cheer my mum up not troll your knitting group. Hi to all by the way :)

A scarf would be grand, its best to start at the basics, besides i always sew my fingers together when i try and stitch a pocket or something :confused:

It looks like the wool baa is my first point of call. A couple of questions though. is it a bar where people knit? and where is it?

Thanks for the welcome me lady :D

nevermind, i work around the corner from hunters bar so all is good!

i have never been so insulted by one so sweet :o

my intentions are to cheer my mum up not troll your knitting group. Hi to all by the way :) ...

I take all comments at face value, and trust you wouldn't use your mum as an excuse for trolling.

Your first port of call is definitely the Wool Baa, especially as you're so close. You need to have a look at the yarn and see what you think your mum would like. Jill would be able to help with pattern recommendations. Click on the link in Jill's sig. The address of the Wool Baa is on there, along with photos of the shop (which, sadly, is bar free; though she does do excellent tea, I've heard).

i found the link in her sig, i will try and go on sat at some point, i only live in nether edge so its not far..

im loving this top..

and the cuddly bear sounds good, guessing its out of my league...

i found the link in her sig, i will try and go on sat at some point, i only live in nether edge so its not far..

It's in writing now, so you can't back out now... Oh, and she does mail order too, so you've really no excuse :D .

im loving this top..

and the cuddly bear sounds good, guessing its out of my league...

It's very nice. But stick with the basics. The bear will involve shaping and seaming, so it's more of a second or third project.

Beginners should stick to something with no or minimal shaping and preferably no seaming, unless you can persuade someone else to do it for you.