Claims that a police officer hit a female in Sheffield, caught on CCTV..?

What do you think of the incident?  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the incident?

• I support the police officer
    • I don't support the police officer

Police have a hard enough job to do, they don't always make the correct decisions but in this case what were they meant to do with a drunken violent women?

The options were;

Sit on her until she calms down

Spray her with pepper spray to disable her

Give her a couple of whacks and get the cuffs on

She should be banged up for wasting police time, i don't even know how she's got the nerve to question the police's tactics. If she'd have been damaging my car i'd have whacked her myself.

I'm surprised the race card hasn't been palyed yet, its only a matter of time though.

They could have set the dog on her

just to add, there are no facts that she had his tackle in her hand, in the newspaper articles and the news snippets i have read/seen, the officer says "TRIED" to grab his tackle.

At the point that he started hitting her, she was neither standing, nor could i see her smacking or using any form of martial arts, She was on the floor with officers holding her legs down, and another hitting her "AS HARD AS HE WAS PHYSICALLY ABLE".

And to answer your question, if it was a woman, then no m8, i would not hit her, no matter how P****d off, how much damage she was doing me, how good she was at martial arts, the only time i would even consider it is if she was a DIRECT THREAT TO MY LIFE.

That does not mean that i will not defend myself, martial arts teaches Self Defence, if your idea of that is to roll into a ball and allow yourself to be kicked in the head, well then you need more training, but it does not mean that i would her a woman whilst she is already down.

There are more successful ways of detaining even the biggest of MEN without the need to harm them.

And if our Officers really are trained to use such force in such circumstances and that it is in fact justified force.

Well it remains a sad affair.

Someone can cause just as much injury when they are kicking and lashing out on the floor - sometimes more so because all 4 limbs are free, not just their arms.

Oh please - read what I wrote. You protect your head when you roll up into a ball not allow it to be kicked. That would be outstanding stupid. It was what I proposed you might do in that scenario as you say you wouldn't hit a woman in that situation (ie the one where she's kicking the crap out of you).

Why you'd allow yourself to be beaten to within an inch of your life before you fight back I've no idea, it's not really strong self preservation but that's your opinion so fair enough.

Great - more sucessful ways to detain people, as long as you pay for destructive violent people to be detained "nicely" I'm all up for it.

Does anyone else think its strange that 'she can't remember anything' and is claiming that she had had an epileptic fit, however in an interview with Sky news yesterday she said that she did not take any medication for her condition. every time sky asked her a question she replied I can't remember.......I wonder who's advised her to say that??

Also how did she know to request the CCTV footage if she didn't know about it??

just to add, there are no facts that she had his tackle in her hand, in the newspaper articles and the news snippets i have read/seen, the officer says "TRIED" to grab his tackle.

Oh well, if it was said on the telly it MUST be right ! Get real ! The media have done exactly what they set out to do - whipped the anti-police brigade up into a frenzy by their biased reporting.

Hi everyone

I've been trying to keep up with this story. Can I just get the facts, as I understand, them straight -

- Woman was drunk in night club

- Woman was epileptic.

- Woman is violent and loses memory when having a fit -think this was confirmed by her Dad - how would a copper know this at the time?!

- Woman was damaging public property, a car?

- We've only seen a small part of a video

- We can see a copper hitting part of the woman, but not where, just that it was about five times.

- The SY police have issued a statement supporting the copper

- The copper himself says that he hit the woman in the arm because she had grabbed his testicles

- Medical report indicates that the woman needed no treatment at the station as the injuries were minor - think that came from the police report as well.

Is that all about right? And yet people are supporting the woman based on the facts above? I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous, surely before people jump to one judgement either way we should let the 'establishment' issue a report? Once that is out we'll know what happened.

Please correct me where I'm wrong, there are 35+ pages of post and its late so I've got to admit I've not read ALL of it!

I doubt nobody on here is supporting the womans behaviour as it is unacceptable, it is the force that has been displayed by the Policeman that has made people upset.

If this was on a man, I would have no problem but this was on a female. By the way; why are people suddenly stating that the drugs and alcohol has made her 10 times stronger. I have never heard such a crock of ****e in my life. It might make you think you are but physically you are weaker. Oh she may have taken steroids, that usually does the trick.

What's all this about "punching" anyway? Your eyes are all better than mine or your TV's are! I can't see a clenched fist? And it doesn't matter how big or small a person is when they have the strength of ten men after a night on drink or drugs. I wonder how many people on here can actually judge how hard it is to put someones arm in handcuffs/restrain them when they have locked their arm under their bodies and don't want to move it? I can't. And what would be the point of striking someone uness it was "as hard as physically able"? If he didn't have to hit her that hard, then there would be no justification in hitting at all. It makes me laugh. She had no injuries and no idea of what happened which gives an indication of just how intoxicated she was. Had I have been the copper, I would have had her for the assault on me - the smack in the face she gives him is far clearer than anything she claims has happened. I would love to hear her evidence in court! "And what happened next?" "Well, I don't know - I can't remember as I was too drunk." Quality witness. I would also like to see the CCTV of the offence she committed. Two sides to every story but I know who I believe. I feel sorry for the bobby. We are in an age now where it is commonplace to assault and abuse the people whi are trying to uphold the law for the majority of decent hardworking people in this country. If it continues, the upholders of the law will be few and far between. Who wants to be subjected to that kind of grief and then be sued for doing your job? Oh and how come she gets a fair trial and is allowed to answer questions in court before the CCTV is released but the bobby's fate is sealed before he or the Chief get a chance to have their say. How is that fair? Compensation springs to mind and I hope she doesn't get a penny. And as for the race thing? Spare me and give me strength!

I totally agree with this post. If she had epilepsy (which is undiagnosed), what was she doing drinking brandy and going into a club with flashing lights?

I think I know what she's after...................£££££££££££££££ kerching!

Have you ever tried to subdue anyone?

3 times a week, thai boxing / jiu jitsu.

Have you?

I have to say - having read the first 3 pages of this thread - I gave up reading the rest as I'd have been here all day.

Having witnessed 1st hand the police dealing with and arresting a criminal I can say that this kind of "heavy handedness" is needed!

In our situation we had a violent man at our bedroom window in the middle of the night who had climbed on some scaffolding - when my husband challenged him he kicked him in the head and slammed the window on his head. My husband restrained him by his foot through the window till the police arrived. They pulled him through the window. He wasn't letting them hand cuff him so they hit his arm, (basically to give him a dead arm) so they could put his arms behind his back and cuff him.

Had they not done this I fear for what he could have done.

Looking at the CCTV footage it seems to me that this officer was doing a similar thing - trying to get her under control and at the same time, protect his own safety. I read in his statement that she was trying to bite him - for all he knew she could have been HIV positive...!

I think its thumbs up to the police!

But she still committed an offence, still struggled and resisted arrest as can be seen on the CCTV, still smacked him so his hat fell off and still TRIED to attack him. Was he meant to just let her do that? Is that kind of behaviour OK? I think not. By letting someone behave in that way, what message does it give out to other criminals?

****This an abhorent generalisation and completely out of order! I can't believe that people really think this. I have never found police to be the thugs you describe but hey, that's probably because I have never been arrested and don't commit crime!****

And i have never been arrested or had any kind of criminal record. What i have is two eyes and have witness this kind of thug attitude on a number of ocassions. lets just be glad he wasn't armed or he might have had to shoot her for his own safety.

I've heard a rumour that the woman provked the attack by telling the copper that, in her opinion, Leeds had a more flourishing city centre than Sheffield.