Claims that a police officer hit a female in Sheffield, caught on CCTV..?

What do you think of the incident?  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the incident?

• I support the police officer
    • I don't support the police officer

It used to be an old school tactic to pull trousers down to stop people kicking out in the good old days.

I spent a few years working with people with quite severe epilepsy as a carer and it is true that they can become very violent before what everybody thinks is an epileptic seizure.

There are many different types of Epilepsy, most people are aware of the " fall on the floor with jerking movements" but there are 20 or 30 differing types of seizure. The most common comment about somebody having a seizure in a club or pub is that they shouldn't be there because of flashing lights ect but photosensitive Epilepsy isn't very common from what I remember.

It does depend on the type of epilepsy. If she is Epileptic it sounds like an absence seizure, it only has to last a couple of seconds but the person involved has no control or memory of what has happened and those seconds can be violent.

Of cause what she did could also be a result of an alcohol blackout which can also lead to violence and in my experience is very similar.

It would be interesting to find out how long the security bloke has been at niche and it the policeman had been up the stairs before. Most times I've seen stuff like this happen it has been in a blind spot.

Bloody hell, I've just read that back and i sound reasonably sensible.

i agree with an earlier poster - if this person didn't have on a police uniform, everyone would be up in arms (can you imagine if they were asian and the woman was white?). and it as nothing to do with PC, in fact, my guess is that most people who refer to 'PC' have no idea what it actually is and are simply referring to the commonly held perception of it that is purported by a right wing media.

anyone with any degree of restraint training would not need to punch a woman repeatedly when she's laying face down. if she's resisitng arrest she could easily be dealt with from that position, high on adrenalin or not. sorry, but i'd be surprised to hear anyone with any knowledge of restraint/martial arts/combat training say any differently.

Whilst it looks like the police may have taken the restraint of this young woman too far, I think there's another issue here.

The young woman in question claims to be epileptic, and she is the mother of a two year old child. It appears she was drunk (is that safe when you epilepsy?), violent and had committed a crime. If she hadn't been behaving this way she surely wouldn't have been in this position, would she?

Her family must be really proud of her.

there talkin about this story on gmtv now

I may be mistaken, and am always eager to add to my knowledge base: my understanding is.......

They are not paid to 'protect the public'.

They are paid to enforce the laws of Queen Elizabeth the Second.

They are the last means of enforcement that exist short of the young man in green with a rifle.

Aren’t the police here to "protect and serve";

Utterly disgraceful, you can plainly see the officer at her feet knelt down only using 1 hand/arm to restrain her, surely if she was resisting arrest that much all officers would have been using both hands.

Hang on, what's not excusable is being so obnoxious that you get chucked out of a club, smashing all the windows in somebodies car, ignoring your mate who's trying to calm you down, then resisting arrest, then smacking a Police officer in the face, then trying to run away.

Frankly, at that point I personally couldn't care less what treatment they get.

Epileptic fit? Yea right! Excuse me if I appear sceptical.

ive just seen this (and the cctv footage) on the bbc, and am absolutely disgusted by the behaviour of the police officers in question. i know northern women can be strong as oxes, but does it really take that number of large, trained men to restrain one woman, who is of pretty slight build? punching someone five times is uncalled for, especially when on the video it can be seen very clearly that the punches follow each other in quick succession, so the officer in question has hardly waited to check the impact that his punches have had on the woman. having seen sheffield police in action on many occassions, i can say im not suprised by this, im just pleased that theyre being pulled up for such behaviour with such publicity. yes, the woman committed a crime, but does that give police the right to batter her? god help us all if that is what is classed as reasonable force.

Anyone who thinks the policeman acted reasonably is as bad as him in my opinion.

Why should a woman be punched 5 times by a man 'attempting to restrain her'???? He has been quoted as saying he hit her as hard as he was physically able. That must be pretty hard!!

If 3 coppers can't restrain one woman between them then at the very least they need retraining. The copper who did the punching should be thrown out of the police force. But no that won't happen because punching a woman doesn't seem to be that bad, at least according to some of the views on here.:loopy:

i think that the fact that none of the other officers did anything when he was punching her tells us a lot -- they didnt think that it was excessive, otherwise surely at least one of them would have pulled him off?

Hang on, what's not excusable is being so obnoxious that you get chucked out of a club, smashing all the windows in somebodies car, ignoring your mate who's trying to calm you down, then resisting arrest, then smacking a Police officer in the face, then trying to run away.

I totally agree Tony, but no doubt the "let's have a dig at the coppers" brigade will keep up the rant about police brutality until they get the bobby in question sacked.

Having had to deal with people who are violent and trying to resist arrest I can assure the bleeding hearts that five blows rarely register in their minds, all they are interested in doing is hurting you so they can escape.

Well said Tony. I find it hard to have any sympathy for someone who has a medical condition yet throws brandy down her neck. It happens in every town on every weekend and I'm sick of it. Sick of having a night out spoilt because a moron doesn't know their limit and then has a fight or throws up or smashes property.

She said "I've got a 14-year-old son, he's actually seen this footage. How do I explain to him that this is justified, regarding the police?" . Perhaps she should be explaining her own anti-social behaviour.

Yes, the police were too heavy handed, but if she hadn't done what she did, she wouldn't have been arrested.

Finally, to all the amateur Clouseaus out there - the video footage on the web is of poor quality at best. Leave it to the professionals to study.

I heard about this on the radio on my way to work, knowing full well this arguement would ensue! You could even put money on who would be screaming 'police brutality'!

We do not have the full facts, but I am inclined to agree with the sentiment from Tony 100%...