Claims that a police officer hit a female in Sheffield, caught on CCTV..?

What do you think of the incident?  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the incident?

• I support the police officer
    • I don't support the police officer

Utterly disgraceful. A total failure on the part of the police. The woman was lying down on her back at the time and could and should have been handled differently.

Having now read the recently released news reports and viewed (several times) the footage, that is a massive presumption on your behalf.

Were you personally present at the incident? Have you spoken directly to those involved? Were you at the Court hearing that ultimately led to the release of the video? Have you read the comments of the female who, quite openly, states that she had been drinking brandy and can't remember anything of the incident? Even her Father admits that her epileptic fits can cause her to be violent.

I can assure you that the IPCC will be proverbially 'licking their lips' at the thought of conducting a thorough investigation into the incident and if the Officer is found guilty of misdemeanor, then he shall deserve whatever punishment they think fit.

However, I doubt very much that a SYP spokesperson would openly state to the press - prior to such an investigation - that the organisation was "satisfied with the way the incident was handled and happy with the conduct of the Officer" if that was not the case.

See the PC crowd have jumped to conclusion already :rolleyes:

To summarise: a person (Later convicted of the crime she is accused of at the time of the video) resists arrest and the police have to use force to handcuff her.

No story here, oh until we bring the race card into play that is. Now it's in the Guardian and on the BBC with "race relations" types stirring it up as well.

Sorry but this is a storm in a PC teacup.

Having now read the recently released news reports and viewed (several times) the footage, that is a massive presumption on your behalf.

Were you personally present at the incident? Have you spoken directly to those involved? Were you at the Court hearing that ultimately led to the release of the video? Have you read the comments of the female who, quite openly, states that she had been drinking brandy and can't remember anything of the incident? Even her Father admits that her epileptic fits can cause her to be violent.

No, no and yes to your questions. I've a lengthy career in psychiatry behind me, the last few years in a secure unit so I have a fair deal of experience in situations like the one in this video. Those officers failed to contain a woman who, although clearly agitated and distressed, was in no position to offer a major threat to their safety. There isn't any kind of officially sanctioned behaviour management strategy that I know where repeatedly punching a person is a legitimate option. It was an assault.

See the PC crowd have jumped to conclusion already :rolleyes:

To summarise: a person (Later convicted of the crime she is accused of at the time of the video) resists arrest and the police have to use force to handcuff her.

No story here, oh until we bring the race card into play that is. Now it's in the Guardian and on the BBC with "race relations" types stirring it up as well.

Sorry but this is a storm in a PC teacup.

'Scuse me barny, but since when did resisting arrest (she was already on the ground when she was punched!) deserve being repeatedly smacked around?

If she was your girlfriend who'd gone a bit bonkers would you still be happy to see her treated that way?

No, no and yes to your questions. I've a lengthy career in psychiatry behind me, the last few years in a secure unit so I have a fair deal of experience in situations like the one in this video. Those officers failed to contain a woman who, although clearly agitated and distressed, was in no position to offer a major threat to their safety. There isn't any kind of officially sanctioned behaviour management strategy that I know where repeatedly punching a person is a legitimate option. It was an assault.

Perhaps the Officer was 'agitated and distressed' Halibut.

Was her behaviour 'an assault' on the officer?..... in his mind?

Perhaps the Officer was 'agitated and distressed' Halibut.

Was her behaviour 'an assault' on the officer?..... in his mind?

May well have been, but that doesn't make it Ok for him to repeatedly punch her. I'd like to think that people who are paid to protect the public would try and do that without recourse to excessive violence.

Having zoomed that in twice to get a closer look....

Wasn't she face down at the time? :huh:

Halibut, you've answered no, no and yes, but you were asked four questions, so what did the 'yes' relate to?

Having zoomed that in twice to get a closer look....

Wasn't she face down at the time? :huh:

Halibut, you've answered no, no and yes, but you were asked four questions, so what did the 'yes' relate to?

If she was face down that's even more inexcusable. I did mess up on the no and yes thing. No to the first three, yes to the last - I have heard at least some of what the woman said.

May well have been, but that doesn't make it Ok for him to repeatedly punch her. I'd like to think that people who are paid to protect the public would try and do that without recourse to excessive violence.

I may be mistaken, and am always eager to add to my knowledge base: my understanding is.......

They are not paid to 'protect the public'.

They are paid to enforce the laws of Queen Elizabeth the Second.

They are the last means of enforcement that exist short of the young man in green with a rifle.

no one can accuse me of being one of the "PC" brigade as halibut will probably say (we have locked horns once or twice) but this is a copper over-reacting and as per usual it being whitewashed over yeah a woman on her back really needed battering

bull **** anyone who would have done this without a police uniform on would have been charged with assult at the least

Don't want to appear sarcastic, but I asked four questions yet only received three responses:-"No, No, Yes" - replying to which questions I am unsure.

However, the Officer gave an account (under oath) that he was being spat at; attempts were made to bite him; efforts were made by her to grab and kick him in the genitals.

I'm sorry, but if I had been subjected to such a horrendous attack then I would have resorted to whatever form of self defence I could have thought of at that particular moment, whether it was "officially sanctioned behaviour management strategy" or not.

Reasonable self defence in a particular circumstance, as you will be aware, does not constitute "an assault".

bull **** anyone who would have done this without a police uniform on would have been charged with assult at the least
Just to poke a fly into the ointment here - if they'd have done alot of other things the police did that night, they'd also have been done for false imprisonment and kidnapping, so that arguement doesn't work I'm afraid