Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

The smart-alecs who would intentionally damage a vehicle because it is parked partially on the pavement and who advise other weak-willed idiots to do the same, are moronic, cowardly, low-life scum, in my estimation.

Agreed, wholly obstructing the pavement is reprehensible, though rarely do cars park in such a way that pedestrians, prams, etc., are unable to get by. In my own case, myself and my neighbours park about a foot onto the pavement on each side of the road, this is to avoid obstructing the road any more than necessary and to minimise damage to our vehicles by traffic trying to squeeze through a narrow gap and also, in our case, hopefully lessening the possibility of parking restrictions being imposed on us.

Any clever little cretinous half-wits who consider themselves fully justified in 'accidentally' scraping a pram against, or otherwise marking a parked vehicle because they cannot get two prams past at once, or are forced to move a few paces to one side when walking by, deserve their backsides kicking, preferably by an irate owner, wearing hob-nail boots!

Consider that when I park in the road, level with the kerb, I run a very high risk of losing my off-side wing-mirror, as has happened before... To those of you who don't own cars, let me explain that this is not just a matter of replacing the glass, in most cases, it means a whole new assembly and if they are electric mirrors, as many are, on a foreign-manufactured vehicle, there may not be much change out of several hundred pounds.

As you will see, I and many others are caught between a rock and a hard place... We either run the risk of considerable expense caused by other careless drivers... Or we risk incurring the wrath of self-righteous dopes who think that damaging the property of another is fully-justified... Whilst there are idiots about who haven't yet grasped the concept of 'Live & Let Live', we just can't win!

If the pavement is wholly obstructed by a careless or inconsiderately parked vehicle, then report the matter... Every vehicle carries a number plate which identifies the owner to the authorities... Nothing gives you the right to damage that vehicle intentionally!

Hopefully, after reading this, some of you may better understand just why so many cars park part-way onto the pavement, in many cases, they have very little choice in the matter.

speakiing from a wheelchiar-users' viewpoint, I can assure you cretinous parking is much more common than you'd think. it's more often than not, that a chair (push OR wheel) cannot get by.

so what is someone like myself, who uses a wheelchair, actually expected to DO when faced with the cretinous and illegal parking that we are discussing?

someone able-bodied, can, perhaps, sidestep to get past:- a wheelchair, or a pushchair doesn't have that option...

also, there is the added problem that, if the vehicle is parked "katie-cornered", there may be enough space at the back, but not at the front, and as one is trying to pass, it only becomes evident as you start to become trapped.

Using a pushchair or a wheelchair, is it reasonable to be expected to go out into the road, and risk the vehicular- traffic? (who, from personal experience, I can say, often do not like the idea of a wheelchair or pushchair encroaching into "their" domain)

There may not be any nearby dropped kerbs, that a chair can safely use, to get round a creetinously-parked car.

Do we pushchair or wheelchair users just sit, patiently, and wait, until said cretin decisdes to return to his/ her vehicle? it could be a matter of a minute or so's wait, but what if creetin has parked up for the day? Do we wait, in hope, becoming later and later, for school, or work, or appointments?

Do we sit it out, or give up, go home, and try again to get out into the big wide world, another day?

In my personal opinion, if someone is cretinous enough to not know where to park, legally, and their car gets damaged as someone struggles to get past where they are obstructing, they should not have a leg to stand on, when it comes to redress/ any insurance claim.

In my personal opinion, if someone is cretinous enough to not know where to park, legally, and their car gets damaged as someone struggles to get past where they are obstructing, they should not have a leg to stand on, when it comes to redress/ any insurance claim.

You make some good points (as usual), but we're talking here about the difference between accidentally damaging a vehicle as you squeeze past, and 'accidentally' damaging a vehicle because you're a spiteful git. (I'm not calling you a spiteful git)

As far as I can see, anyone who deliberately chooses to damage a vehicle when they can avoid it is scum. Those who do it by accident are not. To me, there is something seriously warped about the viewpoint that two wrongs somehow make a right.

I agree with everything that has been said about doing damage, the only problem with that is the vehicle probably is'nt theirs in the first place, itmore than likely belongs to the firm they work for. I have the same feelings about cars parked on grass verges, I hate it.

Situation: You need to park the car on the kerb for safety reasons. Fine.

Answer: Think if there is enough room for a large wheelchair to easily pass by. If not, then park somewhere else.

Why? Because it is simply wrong to expect someone with a child in a pram or a vulnerable person in a wheelchair to risk their life by trying to pass on the carriageway. They could get hit and be killed. A life is worth more than ANY car.

I am a car owner BTW. :thumbsup:

Oh and when trying to park up the pavement for a United match - please DO NOT drive at people already standing on the pavement waiting for a bus and expect them to scatter. This for the two c*cks 'parking' their red Toyota and black Vauxhall in Heeley last Saturday. Next time I will shove a potato up your exhaust pipe. :thumbsup:

Highway Code

123: You MUST NOT drive on or over a pavement, footpath or bridleway except to gain lawful access to property.

Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & RTA sect 34

218: DO NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs, the visually impaired and people with prams or pushchairs.

Yesterday I saw a bloke driving on the pavement on the road between St James Church at Norton and the watertower, to avoid going over the speed humps:loopy:

Could try walking...

Double post...................................removed

Ages ago some t*@t moaned about cars parking on the pavement ....walks about 30 yards up the road & got on his motor bike ....which was parked on the pavement. Bloody moron. Drop of WD40 on his brakes would have worked wonders.

This thread started with a totally justifiable moan about a vehicle which was totally blocking a pedestrian right-of-way, in this case, the pavement. It then progressed to contributions from fools advocating causing damage to any vehicle that was parked even partially on the pavement, in response to which I tried to explain the reasons why some (many) motorists park in this fashion.

No driver with any common-sense would park their vehicle in such a way that the passage of pedestrians (and wheel chair-users), was impeded. To do so is stupid, selfish, inconsiderate and illegal, nonetheless it does not give anyone the right, morally or legally, to cause damage to the obstructing vehicle, by whatever means.

I say "no driver with any common-sense"... unfortunately some drivers sadly lack this attribute... As indeed, do some pedestrians, for example... Driving through Woodseats last night, approaching the lights before the Abbey-Lane turn-off, an idiot pedestrian saw fit to run out from the nearside kerb, into the offside traffic lane and run directly towards me, laughing and waving his arms about like an idiot. As I neither swerved nor slowed down, he hastily jumped onto the central reservation at the last minute, realising that it probably wasn't the wisest move that he'd ever made in order to show off in front of his friends... In fact, as my nearside lane was clear I would have been able to swerve to avoid him had he stumbled, so his health wasn't actually in the sort of danger that he suddenly perceived it to be in! ;)

My point being that just as there are stupid drivers who cause considerable inconvenience and danger to pedestrians, so too there are stupid pedestrians who put the safety of both themselves and motorists at risk, common-place ocurrences I might add, especially in town after the pubs and clubs turn out.

I'm not defending drivers who obstruct the footpath or other pedestrian rights-of-way but taking up a foot of a five-foot wide pathway (in my case) can hardly be classed as obstruction. I doubt very much that those who recommend damaging a vehicle parked in this way, would be quite so brave and aggressive if the owner of the vehicle was nearby... Which is why I consider them to be, at best, cowardly scum of a very low order... Morons who are worth condemning but certainly not worth arguing with individually.

if i have my pram i try and scrape it on the doors as i struggle through

They also make it difficult to walk past if you are carrying an indelible marking pen at night

Many people finding themselves so obstructed will take their keys from their pocket and inadvertently scrape paint off the obstruction purely by accident

car gets damaged as someone struggles to get past where they are obstructing, they should not have a leg to stand on, when it comes to redress/ any insurance claim.

Please don't people.

1. Maximum penalty for parking on the pavement is £50.

2. Criminal damage to property valued at over £5,000 can be tried as a summary offence or as an indictable offence. If tried as a summary offence (in the Magistrates' Court) the maximum penalty is a £5,000 fine and six months imprisonment. If tried as an indictable offence (in the Crown Court) the maximum penalty is 10 years imprisonment.

Drop of WD40 on his brakes would have worked wonders.

The penalty for murder is life imprisonment.

2 wrongs don't make a right.

I am not saying it is right to park on the pavement but sometimes there is no where available as a lot of areas do not have enough places to park. I have also found that if you park in front of someones house they will start moaning at you as if they bought the road as well as the house.

I feel this is a problem that wont go away as their are now far too many cars for the available parking places.