Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

many of Sheffield's road are narrow. but we insist on trying to pretend that there's room to park both sides of these roads, and keep bi-directional traffic. Except often, there isn't room for bi-directional traffic, but people try, so they end up waiting, and flashing people though, and getting held up, etc.

so people are parking on the pavement to try and help, but often it doesn't, it just makes the pavement just as half-blocked as the road.

seems to me that an obvious solution is to set up a lot of one-way streets, that link up, and go round in gyratorys.

win 1) now you can park both sides of the road, no wheels needed on the pavement 

win 2) there's room down the middle for the one-way traffic, no more waiting, flashing through, nipping into gaps, etc.

yes, some journeys will seem longer, but we're already waiting for each other, to take turns driving in opposite directions down the middle of the gap - straddling the white line as we go. the gyratory solution would mean longer distances, but less waiting - I suspect it would largely even out.

the steep narrow streets in crookes would be a good place to try this - bolehill/tinker lane - for example. make it downhill only - coming back up toftwood - making a short loop.

6 minutes ago, ads36 said:

many of Sheffield's road are narrow. but we insist on trying to pretend that there's room to park both sides of these roads, and keep bi-directional traffic. Except often, there isn't room for bi-directional traffic, but people try, so they end up waiting, and flashing people though, and getting held up, etc.

so people are parking on the pavement to try and help, but often it doesn't, it just makes the pavement just as half-blocked as the road.

seems to me that an obvious solution is to set up a lot of one-way streets, that link up, and go round in gyratorys.

win 1) now you can park both sides of the road, no wheels needed on the pavement 

win 2) there's room down the middle for the one-way traffic, no more waiting, flashing through, nipping into gaps, etc.

yes, some journeys will seem longer, but we're already waiting for each other, to take turns driving in opposite directions down the middle of the gap - straddling the white line as we go. the gyratory solution would mean longer distances, but less waiting - I suspect it would largely even out.

the steep narrow streets in crookes would be a good place to try this - bolehill/tinker lane - for example. make it downhill only - coming back up toftwood - making a short loop.

I think in certain places that's an excellent idea.

That said, parking on a pavement is strictly forbidden in that there London so it can be done. (I do park half on a pavement but its very wide and can easily fit a double buggy and a dog past it). I hope that the public will be given sufficient time to organise themselves though and it's not just rushed through.

3 hours ago, ads36 said:

As Tinfoilhat says, I think in certain places it could work well. However, the only downside with a sensible suggestion is Sheffield City Council - they'll probably end up putting in cycle lanes instead of one-way systems 🙄

Something does need to be done though - I regularly have to walk in the road due do people completely blocking the pavement near me.

Edited by whiteowl
typo

On 08/09/2020 at 16:30, whiteowl said:

As Tinfoilhat says, I think in certain places it could work well. However, the only downside with a sensible suggestion is Sheffield City Council - they'll probably end up putting in cycle lanes instead of one-way systems 🙄

Something does need to be done though - I regularly have to walk in the road due do people completely blocking the pavement near me.

I always thought pavements were for pedestrians but they seem to have become the domain of parked cars and cyclists 

I came down Carr Road, Walkley today, quite a narrow road where 2 cars can’t pass when others are parked on both sides and a bus service was rerouted to avoid the frequent stand offs with motorists travelling in the opposite direction. It seems that residents/visitors to the area are avoiding damage to their cars and/or confrontation with other motorists by parking completely on pavements both sides. Consequently I had to walk in  the road for the top third of the street and was subjected to abuse from 3 motorists. Fortunately I could dodge out of the way of these tin can terrorists but anyone less agile, using a wheelchair/mobility scooter or pushing a pram would be  in a ver vulnerable position