Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

7 hours ago, Green Slime said:

I reckon this brave fella will not be going out again in a hurry after coming across a van driver who blocked the pavement and then punched him after asking the van driver to move.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-51801370

That’s appalling. The sense of entitlement some people have to park wherever it’s convenient for themselves is staggering. 

Why do people feel the need to park half on the road and half on the grass verge when there isn't another vehicle near where they are parking?

Also why do some people think it is ok to park half on the pavement and half on the verge making it difficult for people with prams or in a wheelchair.

14 hours ago, Green Slime said:

I reckon this brave fella will not be going out again in a hurry after coming across a van driver who blocked the pavement and then punched him after asking the van driver to move.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-51801370

Dreadful, and hopefully a reasonable custodial sentence will be imposed.

News report this morning re government actions to ban parking on pavements with local authority powers to issue sanctions/fines

2 hours ago, catmiss said:

News report this morning re government actions to ban parking on pavements with local authority powers to issue sanctions/fines

That it is this government's method of dealing with thorny issues.

Starve local authorities of cash, delegate more powers to said local authorities then blame them when nothing is done about thorny issues.

On 11/03/2020 at 12:09, iansheff said:

Why do people feel the need to park half on the road and half on the grass verge when there isn't another vehicle near where they are parking?

Also why do some people think it is ok to park half on the pavement and half on the verge making it difficult for people with prams or in a wheelchair.

Selfish, thoughtless, pointless.

Maybe they aren't able to park snuggly to the kerb and need retraining ? 

Edited by Daven

I think the modern scourge of car bloatedness and folk buying cars much bigger than they need without any thoughts as to where they can park are part of the problem.

Image result for compare size of old vw golf

It genuinely worries me when I follow a large (empty) SUV on the back lanes near my home, swinging well over the central white line of the road when they go round a corner.

5 hours ago, alchresearch said:

I think the modern scourge of car bloatedness and folk buying cars much bigger than they need without any thoughts as to where they can park are part of the problem.

Image result for compare size of old vw golf

It genuinely worries me when I follow a large (empty) SUV on the back lanes near my home, swinging well over the central white line of the road when they go round a corner.

YES. Small cars aren't small any more. 

It's the 'look at me, look at me' brigade who think that because they drive a big car they are more important than anyone else.

I drive one of the smallest cars available and LOVE it. And do you know what ? It gets me from A to B perfectly adequately and safely every time WITHOUT causing problems or any inconvenience to anyone else. AND I never park on the pavement !

Edited by Daven

There’s a proposal to extend the London ban on parking on pavements throughout England. Organisations supporting pedestrians want a blanket ban whereas motoring organisations want traffic wardens to be given the power (currently the police have responsibility re obstruction) to issue fines if they deem the parking to be causing a problem and want residential areas to be exempt. I think Councils will need to up their appeals budget if the latter get their way 

On 13/03/2020 at 18:37, Daven said:

It's the 'look at me, look at me' brigade who think that because they drive a big car they are more important than anyone else.

I drive one of the smallest cars available and LOVE it. And do you know what ? It gets me from A to B perfectly adequately and safely every time WITHOUT causing problems or any inconvenience to anyone else. AND I never park on the pavement !

I've driven everything from (not so) smart cars to Rollers and must admit to having a thing for large saloon cars my self. 

I don't think its quite as cut and dried as its the big car drivers rather than the small car driver at all.

Both are as equally as guilty from what I see. The question is why do people do it?

Is it down to the sheer volume of traffic on our roads?

Residential streets are so grid locked the fear for most is that they will come back and a wing mirror will be in pieces half way down the road somewhere.

I'm not condoning parking on pavements and it is something I don't do my self. (the front spoiler on my car wouldn't let me anyway).

It is usually the inconsiderate driver that instead of tucking in nicely behind the cars parked on the other side of the road has to park their vehicle in front of their own house / shop / place of business even if it means parking on the pavement and subsequently reducing the width of the road at the same time. 

Delivery drivers, Recovery drivers, Skip drivers all do a good job and usually all they want to do is be on their way without causing themselves delay let alone any sort of bloody mindedness.

Sorry Daven but a car has to be more than A-B It has to have Soul. 

Keep safe.

Rocker, defending the big car driver.

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info