Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

The guy that runs the twitter @ParkingSheffield gets a medal from me for organising the "parking like a  "well you know"!" picture library on the subject. 

I'm not sure if the drivers are completely unaware of what they are doing or just don't care at all.

Edited by Hadron
@ParkingSheff not good enough for search results

4 hours ago, Hadron said:

The guy that runs the twitter @ParkingSheffield gets a medal from me for organising the "parking like a  "well you know"!" picture library on the subject. 

I'm not sure if the drivers are completely unaware of what they are doing or just don't care at all.

I imagine they just don't care. I see the same car parked on the pavement on Commercial St every day. I see cars parked in Ecclesall Road bus lane at restricted times every day. I see the same bakery van pavement parked, engine running on Surrey St every morning.

Selfish actions by thoughtless, entitled motorists. Why anybody would do those things, I just don't understand. Who thinks it appropriate to behave in such a way?

Some car crushing would be good to see.

Edited by Bargepole23

On 13/09/2019 at 20:47, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Come to Penistone Paramount Cinema and you are actively encouraged to park opposite, half on the footpath, half on the road, actually delineated by white lines.

Genuine reply, I feel sorry that you will never experience the freedom a car gives you.

I'll just pop to B&Q, 7 miles away.

Let's go out and have lunch in Derbyshire, 25 miles away.

Our Nice has missed her bus, just off to pick her up, 15 miles away.

Off to see my best mate at his garage, 20 miles away.

Herself, off to look round the shops, 5 miles away.

Herself, off to the slimming club, 3 miles away.

Herself, off to see my mate, 2 miles away.

Herself, off to Tesco for the weekly shop, 5 miles away.

The motor car is invaluable to us living in the sticks, so to speak. When the time comes and we have to stop driving,  -?.

Angel1.

This is a bit depressing really and shows how reliant so many people are on their cars. At the expense of the environment and public health. I am in no way having a personal go at Angel1 who may indeed live in a remote area and may be physically unable to walk far or cycle. But long term, as a society we need to wake up to fact that this isn’t sustainable and (to get back on topic) we don’t have an entitlement to park in stupid places just because it’s personally convenient.  I have a car and wouldn’t want to give it up but I don’t routinely use it for short trips the way many do.  If everyone **that is is physically able to do so and/or does not need to carry a heavy load** walked journeys of less than 1-2 miles rather than drove our environment would be far more pleasant.  

On 19/04/2005 at 19:05, foo_fighter said:

Not sure about that, parking enforcement transferred to the council on 4 April this year...

...obstruction though, that might still be with the police I suppose...

...anybody know for sure?

:confused:and park on the 

You cant park park  park part on the pavement but the police turn a blind eye to it as we all know. 

Sheffield would be shut down in 5 mins if they did . Parts of London do enforce it now and its all a matter of time before all London comes under it then who next . People are parking there cars in Sheff suburbs and catching buses in now . Ever one knows you cant park part on the pavement you do so at your own risk you may in the suburbs but not in town very risky . I go to Darnall often park on the pavement outside hsbc bank the traffic wardens dont bother they walk sraight past for some reason so i assume its okay 

On 15/09/2019 at 00:24, catmiss said:

Ok so can’t talk about cyclists obstructing pavements but can I raise the issue of delivery drivers? Towards top end of West Street last week and delivery being made from 75% of a van parked on pavement. I managed to shimmy past but the guy behind me in a wheelchair had no chance. When he remonstrated with the driver he was told “I’ll get done for holding up the tram so you will just have to bloody wait’. I waited for 25 minutes with the  wheelchair user before the van driver left saying “all your’s now mate” 

What was the van driver doing to warrant parking on a pavement for 25 minutes?

I cant believe Sheffield Councils position on this and climbed so far up their own back side they cant see the light anymore. https://sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/news/pavement_parking/

Pavements do not need formal assessments to see if they can be parked on or not. It is clear from the engineering where cars can go and where pedestrians are supposed to feel safe walking.

Why the London  only law on parking on pavements cannot be made law across England is ridiculous.

Cars are getting written off and people  especially motorcyclists and cyclists are getting seriously hurt on the roads because of this.

Just saw this tweet this morning with video from a police car showing a man with a guide dog been taken into the road to go around a car parked on the pavement.  The van had to swerve to miss the guy, another hazard on the road caused by actions off it.

going all over sheffield including lowedges ,has a new law been passed letting cars park overnight covering the full pavement?,has the law changed on parking on or close to main and side road corners/junctions.if not is it like the 20 miles per hour speed limit,just a rule to make the public think rules are there,but never overseen? or is it just me?

intrested in your estates ect and do they uphold the laws of the land.

As far as I'm aware, single/double yellow lines prohibit parking on the adjacent pavement as well as the road itself  and similarly, it's prohibited to park across drop-down kerbs. Other than that there are no specific restrictions on parking on the pavement apart from potentially causing an obstruction (preventing free passage on the public highway). But I am not a lawyer.

but no one takes any notice,or that seems the case or is it the rules cannot be enforced ,because theres no police ect to do it?its becoming epidemic how people ignore the rules?

Pavements are for feet not wheels unless they are attached to a pram or wheelchair

Edited by Daven

10 minutes ago, Daven said:

Pavements are for feet not wheels unless they are attached to a pram or wheelchair

This^^