Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

On 10/09/2019 at 14:36, steve68 said:

It clearly upsets people, I've seen a few local people remonstrating with an owner of a Large recovery truck, he frequently parks up with 4 wheels on the pavement totally blocking the pavement on a busy corner, he just laughs and the traffic wardens just walk past it so I guess it's ok.

Thankfully we have no inclination to ever own a car.

Come to Penistone Paramount Cinema and you are actively encouraged to park opposite, half on the footpath, half on the road, actually delineated by white lines.

Genuine reply, I feel sorry that you will never experience the freedom a car gives you.

I'll just pop to B&Q, 7 miles away.

Let's go out and have lunch in Derbyshire, 25 miles away.

Our Nice has missed her bus, just off to pick her up, 15 miles away.

Off to see my best mate at his garage, 20 miles away.

Herself, off to look round the shops, 5 miles away.

Herself, off to the slimming club, 3 miles away.

Herself, off to see my mate, 2 miles away.

Herself, off to Tesco for the weekly shop, 5 miles away.

The motor car is invaluable to us living in the sticks, so to speak. When the time comes and we have to stop driving,  -?.

Angel1.

3 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Genuine reply, I feel sorry that you will never experience the freedom a car gives you.

I'd guess you've got 2 cars?

That's £8thousand per year you're spending / they're saving.

I bet they're having a great time! 

10 hours ago, max said:

I didn't think parking a bicycle on the pavement was such a big issue. Perhaps if you contact your MP they could see about getting a change in the law to prohibit this anti-social behaviour.

It’s not the parking but the riding that’s the issue, just another hindrance for the humble pedestrian 

8 hours ago, catmiss said:

It’s not the parking but the riding that’s the issue, just another hindrance for the humble pedestrian 

Sorry, I thought as this thread is about parking on pavements we might avoid the normal cycle bashing. Obviously not.

7 hours ago, max said:

Sorry, I thought as this thread is about parking on pavements we might avoid the normal cycle bashing. Obviously not.

If they stuck to riding on the road where they're supposed to be instead of the FOOTpath there wouldn't be any complaints.

1 hour ago, Daven said:

If they stuck to riding on the road where they're supposed to be instead of the FOOTpath there wouldn't be any complaints.

Got more chance of winning Euro Millions than cyclists obeying restrictions on where they cannot ride. 

See it everyday on the Moor. 

No vehicle signs either end yet they still ride up and down

2 minutes ago, Resident said:

Got more chance of winning Euro Millions than cyclists obeying restrictions on where they cannot ride. 

See it everyday on the Moor. 

No vehicle signs either end yet they still ride up and down

Got more chance of winning Euro Millions than motorists obeying restrictions on where they cannot park.

See it every day on pavements.

Yellow lines yet they still park.

Ok so can’t talk about cyclists obstructing pavements but can I raise the issue of delivery drivers? Towards top end of West Street last week and delivery being made from 75% of a van parked on pavement. I managed to shimmy past but the guy behind me in a wheelchair had no chance. When he remonstrated with the driver he was told “I’ll get done for holding up the tram so you will just have to bloody wait’. I waited for 25 minutes with the  wheelchair user before the van driver left saying “all your’s now mate” 

On 14/09/2019 at 00:10, ads36 said:

I'd guess you've got 2 cars?

That's £8thousand per year you're spending / they're saving.

I bet they're having a great time! 

Hi, yes had two  cars almost all our  married life, 50 years next June.

" I  bet they are having a great time " probably so but we prefer the freedom to come and go as we please, just our choice.

Angel1.

People can have as many cars as they like as long as they are responsibly parked at no one else’s inconvenience. 

There will come a day like prince Philip where you will have to surrender your licence.

As a pedestrian bin days are bad as the pavements are blocked by both cars and bins.

I would like to suggest a half way ban on pavement parking from 7am to 7pm and train  community groups to deliver any fines to their cause.

On 15 September 2019 at 00:24, catmiss said:

Ok so can’t talk about cyclists obstructing pavements but can I raise the issue of delivery drivers? Towards top end of West Street last week and delivery being made from 75% of a van parked on pavement. I managed to shimmy past but the guy behind me in a wheelchair had no chance. When he remonstrated with the driver he was told “I’ll get done for holding up the tram so you will just have to bloody wait’. I waited for 25 minutes with the  wheelchair user before the van driver left saying “all your’s now mate” 

Choosing to wait seems odd,  was there no crossing points the wheelchair user could have used? 

Tram routes are  awkward, I have  some sympathy for the delivery drivers,