Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

Several miles? Get a grip.

35 minutes ago, ads36 said:

Several miles? Get a grip.

Not really, every single road has cars on both sides around where I live. The idea that  you could move half the cars somewhere else, which is the only way to stop pavement parking, is absurd.

Bring in the new law as soon as possible.  Because pavement parking is binary, you're either on it or not, enforcement could be by app, with submissions receiving a % of the penalty cost, and a % to the council. 

4 hours ago, stifflersmom said:

Bring in the new law as soon as possible.  Because pavement parking is binary, you're either on it or not, enforcement could be by app, with submissions receiving a % of the penalty cost, and a % to the council. 

I agree. I used to live on a cul de sac of terraced houses and many of the households with adult kids had 4 cars, The solution the majority came up with was to park bonnet on pavement, boot in road side by side. As the road was quite narrow this meant very little pavement was available to pedestrians during evenings and weekends and the gaps between cars were impassable  for prams/wheelchairs etc. Wardens said is was obstruction so police matter, police said parking issue so warden responsibility. After several months of some cars sustaining paintwork or wing mirror damage whilst neighbouring drivers were attempting to access their cars normal nose to tail parking resumed. It was quite comical to see the dash retrieve cars parked elsewhere once any space became available. Truth is many of Sheffield’s older housing stock was not built to accommodate multi car ownership and there is no God given right to be able to park one or multiple cars on the road outside your house 

I want a helicopter/narrowboat, I don't have anywhere sensible to put it, so I'll just park it on the pavement outside my house, and then moan loudly that the council hasn't provided me with a free helipad/marina (which also needs to be right outside my house).

2 hours ago, ads36 said:

I want a helicopter/narrowboat, I don't have anywhere sensible to put it, so I'll just park it on the pavement outside my house, and then moan loudly that the council hasn't provided me with a free helipad/marina (which also needs to be right outside my house).

Do you need the narrow boat for work?

Yes. It's a 3 hour run each way. Only a little slower than driving, and i can move 40tonnes of coal at the same time.

9 hours ago, ads36 said:

Yes. It's a 3 hour run each way. Only a little slower than driving, and i can move 40tonnes of coal at the same time.

Do you tether it to your bicycle and tow it yourself?

I have to smirk at some of the parking tales here. 

Where I'm currently living I'm the only house ever built on the street. When it was built the developers built a 30 space car park for workers. The car park became the street. 

So in a sense I have a 30 car driveway 😂

On 10/09/2019 at 18:49, stifflersmom said:

I agree.

Pavements are for feet not wheels unless they are attached to a pram.

The words lazy, selfish and entitled jump to mind.

Edited by Daven

On 11/09/2019 at 21:57, Daven said:

I agree.

Pavements are for feet not wheels unless they are attached to a pram.

The words lazy, selfish and entitled jump to mind.

I agree and that includes bikes, by all means campaign for more cycle routes but until then keep yourselves to the road. Motor bikes have a bad reputation for undercutting etc but at least they tend to stay on the road and avoid endangering pedestrians 

12 hours ago, catmiss said:

I agree and that includes bikes, by all means campaign for more cycle routes but until then keep yourselves to the road. Motor bikes have a bad reputation for undercutting etc but at least they tend to stay on the road and avoid endangering pedestrians 

I didn't think parking a bicycle on the pavement was such a big issue. Perhaps if you contact your MP they could see about getting a change in the law to prohibit this anti-social behaviour.