Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

It is already illegal to park on pavements to the best of my knowledge. 

It's also very ignorant considering that roads are for vehicles and pavements for the safe travel on foot, including mothers with prams, the elderly and disabled.

If you where to walk in the road you would be shouted and sworn at or possibly prosecuted at the least,  so why not prosecute ALL pavement parkers.

I feel that if the law was upheld in some areas of sheffield then the roads would become unpassable with cars parked fully on the roads on both sides

Certainly lorrys ambulances fire engines wouldnt be able to pass

Just gone to measure the pavemnet outside and its 3m wide so i do feel its ok to park with 2  wheels on the pavement as long as long as taking up no more than 1m

if people on both sides of the road do this as most do theres no problems for larger vehicles to pass

And pedestrians wheelchairs prams have plenty of room left

Should some of our worst roads be double yellow lined on one side?  I feel for the bus drivers having to manoeuvre a double decker up Dykes Hall Road, and when they were diverted, up Wadsley Lane.  Others are probably worse!    On terraced streets, one vehicle per property would be just about manageable, but so many households with no offstreet parking have multiple cars.   I can see permits being introduced, just one per property!

Two wheels on the pavement as long as it leaves room for pedestrians is ok, but I regularly walk down a road in Hillsborough with very narrow pavements and overgrown hedges that almost touch the cars.   No chance for any pedestrian to pass.  There is also an electric box on the pavement further down, and vehicles often park so close to it that again pedestrians have to walk on the road.  

Edited by Ms Macbeth

Good, get on with it.

Some roads will have to become 1-way.

Some roads will have to restrict parking to 1 side only.

Some people will have to get used to walking for a minute.

Some pavements will have to get re-aligned.

Edited by ads36

Many cars simply park on the grass verge, which just ends up ruining the grass, but no point in debating laws if no-one is going to enforce them.

Some new housing estates only have a driveway for one car even though they are not starter homes. It is likely that both adults will have a car and possibly a young adult child.  On some estates its really difficult when visiting someone to find somewhere to park, especially if its a cul de sac where the front gardens at the kerb edge are very narrow. Its difficult to find a solution in older housing but newer houses should be given more provision for cars without the front gardens just being a line of car parks. 

6 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Wasn’t their talk last year of SCC making pavement parking illegal? 

Parking on pavements is illegal but police cant enfroce it as the city would grind to a stop in 5 mins.

Council does not any cars going in to sheff they want everbody on  buses they do not want you to even own a car refused me permission to have a double drive had a right fight to get it through.

Next phase all cars going in to town pay a toll parkway etc diesel cars first in line . They done it in London here next . On your bikes you penioners or go to Medowhall 

It clearly upsets people, I've seen a few local people remonstrating with an owner of a Large recovery truck, he frequently parks up with 4 wheels on the pavement totally blocking the pavement on a busy corner, he just laughs and the traffic wardens just walk past it so I guess it's ok.

Thankfully we have no inclination to ever own a car.

8 hours ago, master jedi said:

We all know this is not the right thing to do ,  but in some areas of Sheffield i think there is little choice.  What are peoples opinions about this given the fact it could soon become illegal as it is already in parts of London.  

I don't understand what they plan to do. Do they think it is sustainable to ticket cars every single day? It's not like people have a choice to not park on the pavement, there simply is no room to do otherwise in many areas. Do they seriously think people are going to sell their cars which they depend on to get places or suddenly win the lottery to buy a big house with off-road parking?

Edited by nightrider

My guess, any tickets handed out in-line with new laws, will at-first be limited to the city centre.

After that, for years, it'll only be expanded to known trouble-spots.

But, yes, people absolutely *do* have a choice not to park on the pavement. If you can't park properly, outside your house, park round the corner, go a bit further if necessary.

We've got a drive, sometimes we can't really use it because our neighbours have 4 cars and the angle can get a bit tricky, so then I park on the next road over. It's easy enough.

We're allowed to buy as many cars as we like. The council is under no obligation to provide us with somewhere to park them.

Edited by ads36

24 minutes ago, ads36 said:

My guess, any tickets handed out in-line with new laws, will at-first be limited to the city centre.

After that, for years, it'll only be expanded to known trouble-spots.

But, yes, people absolutely *do* have a choice not to park on the pavement. If you can't park properly, outside your house, park round the corner, go a bit further if necessary.

That is not viable when all the nearby roads are also full of parked cars. Its not just a question of go round the corner, its a question of park several miles from your house where there are not many cars. I don't even know of such a place anywhere for at least several miles from my house.