Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

20 hours ago, spilldig said:

Doesn't  work here. We regularly had a car which stopped the numbers 13 and 14 buses running. The police said, if the car was legally parked, which it was, the buses had to divert. We as bus operators would have liked double yellow lines along at least one side of every bus route but it's not feasable.

Seems highly unlikely that it would be considered to be legally parked if it were obstructing the carriageway.

I often go to  Cleethorpes on my motorcycle for a run out,via Waltham,New Waltham towards Humberston  there are "official"signs in Waltham asking/telling motorists not to park on the verges or pavements....

How wonderful life would be if people didn't have to park on pavements, sadly however a great many of our residential streets were not made  wide enough for two way traffic or for the amount of cars currently needing to park on them, make everyone park legally on the roadside and watch the place grind to halt !

2 hours ago, Michael_W said:

How wonderful life would be if people didn't have to park on pavements !

How wonderful life would be if people didn't have numerous cars per family, they would get more exercise, on public transport, they would meet other people

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

How wonderful life would be if people didn't have numerous cars per family, they would get more exercise, on public transport, they would meet other people

Errrmmm, your missing the point with your partial quote, that, and you have got the wrong thread fella, public transport and exercise apart, what do you reckon to people parking on pavements, any reasonable solutions ?

4 minutes ago, Michael_W said:

Errrmmm, your missing the point with your partial quote, that, and you have got the wrong thread fella, public transport and exercise apart, what do you reckon to people parking on pavements, any reasonable solutions ?

People should not park on the pavement, but there should be some flexibility. Instead of what is done now, its totally ignored. It should be enforced by the council.

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

How wonderful life would be if there were decent & regular public transport available, especially when you've got to be at work for 6am

How wonderful life would be if one income was still sufficient to be able to afford to own a home and raise a family so both parents didn't have to go to work

Parking on the pavement is fine, where the pavement is wide enough to support it.

Blocking either the pavement or the road is not acceptable.

On 11/25/2018 at 7:46 AM, Cyclone said:

Seems highly unlikely that it would be considered to be legally parked if it were obstructing the carriageway.

I agree, and we were astounded by the police not being concerned about buses having to divert. Cars could get by. Just to add to this, in my time there we had to suspend and stop some bus routes altogether because of parked vehicles .

Edited by spilldig

What gets me wound up about peoples parking is when they park so far on the pavement that pedestrians have no other option but to walk into road just to get past. 🤬

Is anybody as fed up as me , from business from shops parking on pavements to suit their needs and not others

We all know this is not the right thing to do ,  but in some areas of Sheffield i think there is little choice.  What are peoples opinions about this given the fact it could soon become illegal as it is already in parts of London.