Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

I'm guessing that it was while the bus lane was operating, 4pm until 6:30pm, so some people think it's ok just to park on the pavement.

Doesn't the rules of the road also extend to the pavement? I recall loads of people ticketed for parking fully on a pavement by a road that had double yellows.

Doesn't the rules of the road also extend to the pavement? I recall loads of people ticketed for parking fully on a pavement by a road that had double yellows.

Only if the local authority deems it to be.

And if it is, the rules are harsher that the rules for the highway. There is no five minutes grace. If you park on that pavement you can be ticketed immediately.

I used to buy spares from a bike dealers who used to put their bikes for sale out on the very wide pavement outside the shop. The traffic wardens discovered that the regulations extended right up to the front door of the shop and would ticket about forty bikes every morning at 9.00am. In the end the bike shop owners took all the reg plates off the bikes so that wardens couldn't identify them.

Doesn't seem to apply on Abbeydale Rd. A lot of the businesses have large frontages that extend to the pavement. There's usually a difference in the paving to designate this. However in the main, very few rules seem to apply on Abbeydale Rd.

Drivers park their cars on corners, at bus stops, despite the clear thick yellow markings & clear signs stating no parking between 07:30 to 23:30 & on the zig-zags of pelican crossings. Even when I've seen SCC's parking wardens knocking about, they'll usually hang around for a few mins just in case a driver gets back.

Drivers park their cars on corners, at bus stops, despite the clear thick yellow markings & clear signs stating no parking between 07:30 to 23:30 & on the zig-zags of pelican crossings. Even when I've seen SCC's parking wardens knocking about, they'll usually hang around for a few mins just in case a driver gets back.

Parking on the white zig zag lines of a pelican crossing is not only an immediate fixed penalty notice, but also three points on your licence, and quite rightly so a it restricts a pedestrian's view of oncoming traffic as well as preventing drivers seeing anyone standing waiting to cross.

My local Co-op has a pelican crossing outside and at busy times of day there can be five or six cars parked in the zig zag lines right up to the crossing itself. Despite seeing police cars driving past once or twice a week for a number of years, I have never seen any of those cars being ticketed.

The police in Ripon removed a car which was blocking a pavement after neighbours complained:thumbsup:

Call me scrooge or any other name but am i the ONLY person sick of inconsiderate parking outside their own homes?

i live in pitsmoor, close to where the new school is being built, across from the old Pyebank school, and the roads around are choked from 8am till around 4pm monday to friday, outside my house the entire side of the  quite narrow road is covered in pavement parkers, to add to the chaos and difficulty with resident parking, one end of Fox street is closed for unspecified road works but nottingham street has lights, on top of the terrible parking we also have HUGE lorries spreading mud and other crap all over the roads causing residents cars to need cleaning almost daily.

when is sheffield council going to crack down on these inconsiderate people parking where they please without a thought for the peoples properties they are making life difficult for, there are quite a few disabled and elderly on my street which compounds the problem.

though not unique, pitsmoor and burngreave have a massive amount of parked vehicles  on yellow lines, bus stops, blocking pavements and a whole host of other parking indescretions .

the council really needs to rethink its policy of ignoring parking and other problems in areas like pitsmoor for fear of upsetting certain parts of the community therein.

Not just your area..... but sometimes cars need to be parked on pavements....NOT that I totally approve...

Agreed sometimes but every weekday, outside elderly and disabled persons bungalows, even a car either side of a guys disability scooter on the pavement.

They "need" to be parked on pavements because there are too many cars for roads which were not designed to accommodate them. Look at the suburban streets above Hillsborough/Malin Bridge. If it's bin day, you can't walk along the pavement at all, and I see parents and children on the way to school, etc forced into danger on the road. But everyone wants a car, or two, so the pedestrian has to lump it.

51 minutes ago, MunXy said:

Call me scrooge or any other name but am i the ONLY person sick of inconsiderate parking outside their own homes?

i live in pitsmoor, close to where the new school is being built, across from the old Pyebank school, and the roads around are choked from 8am till around 4pm monday to friday, outside my house the entire side of the  quite narrow road is covered in pavement parkers, to add to the chaos and difficulty with resident parking, one end of Fox street is closed for unspecified road works but nottingham street has lights, on top of the terrible parking we also have HUGE lorries spreading mud and other crap all over the roads causing residents cars to need cleaning almost daily.

when is sheffield council going to crack down on these inconsiderate people parking where they please without a thought for the peoples properties they are making life difficult for, there are quite a few disabled and elderly on my street which compounds the problem.

though not unique, pitsmoor and burngreave have a massive amount of parked vehicles  on yellow lines, bus stops, blocking pavements and a whole host of other parking indescretions .

the council really needs to rethink its policy of ignoring parking and other problems in areas like pitsmoor for fear of upsetting certain parts of the community therein.

This was in May this year-

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/13-drivers-fined-for-parking-on-double-yellow-lines-in-one-part-of-sheffield-in-one-day-1-9165852

I saw on FB that there was another operation to target problem parking in the area the other day. 

I dont think you can blame the council on this occasion. There are far more pressing problems to deal with

I seem to remember in London it was illegal to park on the pavement unless there was a sign saying you could but I am not sure what the legal situation is in Sheffield but certainly it would appear that there is no enforcement

I remember hearing the story somewhere of some one who lived on a bus route on a narrowish road and used to park on the pavement until he got a ticket from the police and then the next day after he parked on the road he was asked by the bus driver  to move his car so the bus could get past - he refused and told the bus company to contact the police

10 minutes ago, boldforester said:

They "need" to be parked on pavements because there are too many cars for roads which were not designed to accommodate them. Look at the suburban streets above Hillsborough/Malin Bridge. If it's bin day, you can't walk along the pavement at all, and I see parents and children on the way to school, etc forced into danger on the road. But everyone wants a car, or two, so the pedestrian has to lump it.

Forgive the petulant question but just how wide are you if you can't walk down a pavement whilst there's a wheelie bin on it? 

There are instances where parking partially on the pavement is unavoidable. 

I used to live on a road near a hospital, ambulances used the road regularly. There was no off-street parking available and if both sides parked fully on the road it was impassable. 

However the pavements on both sides were about 18ft wide so it didn't cause an issue for cars to be almost fully on the pavement.. Residents had asked for parking bays to be made and at the same time make it permit only by sacrificing some of that width but council said no. 

A possible solution is to start handing out points with the fines and have a long term enforcement policy, maybe using those camera cars they have. 

When the morons are getting banned for 6 months for poor parking it might start sinking in.