Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

Nor is a car.

---------- Post added 29-06-2018 at 22:55 ----------

Hang on, we can't have better public transport because occasionally, we need to get to hospital in a hurry?

I haven't got a car. If I got a phone call right now, and had to get somewhere in a hurry, I'd get a taxi.

Maybe I've been lucky, but it's been more than 10 years since I got one of those phone calls, £30,000 buys a lot of taxi rides.

Not having a car and needing to wait for a taxi meant I missed saying goodbye to my dad just under 2 years ago as he passed away 35 mins after I was called by my mum to say it was time 5 mins to call and book a taxi. 20 mins waiting for it to arrive 25min journey (which I could have made in slightly less time.

Cars aren't the reason we don't have better public transport, private operators given public money and still operating for profit is the reason. The more profit they make the more they want.

Public services should NEVER be in the hands of PRIVATE FOR PROFIT companies.

If you hired a van, paid for delivery or got a mate to pick it up for you it would still cost way less than what it costs to run a car for even a week!

True. But so far I mentioned one scenario, there are plenty more.

we've built a city which more or less requires it's residents to spend £3500* a year on transport.

*monthly payments :

£150 loan repayments (or paying back your own savings)

£50 insurance

£15 VED

£30 maintenance (tyres, brakes, servicing, MOT, etc.)

£60 fuel

Your figures are rather high. I don't pay anywhere near that amount a month.

I thought they were quite reasonable, which bits do you find cheaper?

My street has narrow paths and the lanes are wide enough for two cars to pass safely. When people started parking on the pavement (who had driveways) things started getting messy. On bin days the pavements are blocked by the bins and cars, leaving a narrow strip down the middle of the road.

Who has priority to use the strip: pedestrians, cyclists, cars or bin lorries?

If the pavement is blocked, just walk on the road facing the flow of traffic.

My street has narrow paths and the lanes are wide enough for two cars to pass safely. When people started parking on the pavement (who had driveways) things started getting messy. On bin days the pavements are blocked by the bins and cars, leaving a narrow strip down the middle of the road.

I don't think there are any specific rules for "path blocked by parked cars" but I guess 206 for narrow roads and 218 for home zones would apply. The pedestrians have priority .

Edited by truman

I don't think there are any specific rules for "path blocked by parked cars" but I guess 206 for narrow roads and 218 for home zones would apply. The pedestrians have priority .

There are quite a few rules that make it illegal to park on the pavement, but the police choose not to enforce them, as they do with lots of laws.

I think the answer to that is whoever got there first but try telling that to someone who refuses to back up. :)

Another example of inconsiderate parking. This time on Abbeydale Rd.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/this-is-what-the-disabled-are-subjected-to-fury-over-sheffield-drivers-parking-on-pavements-1-9311216

I'm guessing that it was while the bus lane was operating, 4pm until 6:30pm, so some people think it's ok just to park on the pavement.

Another example of inconsiderate parking. This time on Abbeydale Rd.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/this-is-what-the-disabled-are-subjected-to-fury-over-sheffield-drivers-parking-on-pavements-1-9311216

I'm guessing that it was while the bus lane was operating, 4pm until 6:30pm, so some people think it's ok just to park on the pavement.

Happens every weeknight on Ecclesall Road. The owner of Harrison men's clothing shop parks on the pavement outside his shop.