Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

Yesterday I saw a van larger than a transit parked fully on the footpath, they had not even parked half on the grass verge so some of the footpath was available for pedestrians.

Parking in S8 where I live is a nightmare. There is space available but it would mean walking a hundred yards at most. People park on corners causing hazards and frequently ignore the 20 mph limit. Wolsley Road is often compromised by cars parked partly on pavements and on junctions and nothing is done. Is parking on a junction illegal? I know the Highway Code states we should park 12 metres from a junction.

It's already unlawful in London, of course.

But many Sheffield roads would become wholly impassible by traffic were there two vehicles parked opposite each other on the carriageway itself.

I use to do this, thought it was ok... But then got slapped with a fine! :-(

Definitely a no go!

It's already unlawful in London, of course.

But many Sheffield roads would become wholly impassible by traffic were there two vehicles parked opposite each other on the carriageway itself.

Double yellow lines down one side would sort that. Just because lots of people want cars, it doesn’t mean that they have the right to obstruct other road users.

Sheffield would become the most congested city in the UK if parking on pavements stopped, most side streets around the city are not wide enough for two way traffic and parking, so unless more residential parking spaces can be found or become available it's as good as it's going to get, beware what you wish for.

Sheffield would become the most congested city in the UK if parking on pavements stopped, most side streets around the city are not wide enough for two way traffic and parking, so unless more residential parking spaces can be found or become available it's as good as it's going to get, beware what you wish for.

We could always take steps to reduce the number of cars in the city.

A radical idea I know, but perfectly possible

Do you have any radical or maybe even realistic suggestions ?

Do you have any radical or maybe even realistic suggestions ?

Yes.

To begin with, we should stop meekly accepting that car owners run the city.

Your turn.

Yes.

Your turn.

Wow how radical, so car owners run the city eh ..... come on give us solutions, you must have better than that, my turn indeed, that's really quite pathetic fella have another go .... on second thoughts don't bother :roll:

Yes.

Your turn.

The vast majority of adults in the city own cars though.

---------- Post added 12-04-2018 at 08:16 ----------

Radically stupid IMO.

The existing residents wouldn't support being forced into selling their cars, and assuming that you somehow got that passed you'd destroy the value of a lot of terraced housing, it would simply become harder to sell and worth much less.