Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

I am no expert but always assumed 'an obstruction on the public highway or public footpath/right of way' was the police (high risk) and council (general/low risk)!!!

An element of common sense here.....!!

You wouldn't call out the police if you discovered a pot hole/tree root or a badly parked vehicle but you would if a lorry was losing it's load along the M1 or your neighbour starting digging up the front of your house to mark out his own parking bay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

Originally posted by Briano

Causing an obstruction to what, a van parking on the pavement!? :loopy:

No lol to pedestrians, if the van is causing an obstuction then the council should deal with it, putting your own obstuction in place to stop the van isn't right either. 2 wrongs don't make a right etc etc

I took this quote from a site about abandoned vehicles

The police also have the power to immediately remove any vehicle which is left in breach of local traffic regulation orders, or is causing an obstruction or is likely to cause a danger

which you can read here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/Topics/HomeAndCommunity/Householders/LocalEnvironment/GreenIssues/GreenIssuesArticle/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4001703&chk=NF0cGN

taken from:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/Topics/HomeAndCommunity/Householders/YourCommunity/SafeCommunities/SafeCommunitiesArticle/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4001652&chk=u0dayM

hope it's a bit of help? :confused: Good luck:thumbsup:

There's a street near me where everybody parks half on/half off the kerb, and the whole street got ticketed one weekend.

It is an offence to park on the pavement.

And it sounds like the council intend to get tough over such problems soon. There's ads on the radio ;):clap:

The council now deal with people parking on lines (single/double yellow ones, etc). The police will deal with obstructions.

But be aware, he can continue to park outside your house (albeit not on the pavement). If he pays road tax, he can park where ever he chooses, providing it isn't illegally, just as you can.

This is a nightmare situation - I totally sympathise - we have a grassy bank in front of us and our neighbours drive over it all the time which has churned it into a mud bath...the council won't do a thing.

There are also about 6 people working for Ford Windows who have those massive white vans on Smalldale Road at Frecheville - the reason it annoys me so much is because they don't ever park the huge things in front of their own houses or even leave them at work which would be nice and sensible- they park in front of my mother-in-laws. It is disgraceful. But why complain? Nobody ever does anything about it.

Put your wheelie bin out when you know he's due back?

i have an old trailer that you can pop on the roadside for a week or two,it works round here.

I live in a terraced house and as i dont drive you should see where my neigbours park there cars right outside my front door we have had to start using the backdoor to get out because of the cars parked on the pavements. but it doesnt end there we have cars parked on our front by people who use the pub and they have got a big car park. there was a accident outside our house 3 weeks ago a argos lorry was coming down the main street and because of the cars and vans what was parked on our main road, he hit one of them and pushed it nearly in to my mates front door if it had been my front door then my 3 year old son would have copped it as he plays at the back of the door with his toys. if you went to the council about it they wouldnt do a thing about it because they havent got time for small matters like this we are suspose to be having our main street altered and the are going to put islands in to slow down the traffic but that will make it worse because people will still park the cars,vans lorries on our pavements we have a right job when we put out the wheelie bins and it as been know for the binmen to leave them as they cant get to them for all the cars that are parked on our front.

Hi Garryn and Willman - it isn't as easy as that in front of my house - although the trailer idea would probably work in front of my mother-in-laws house - but should we have to go that far? That is what is annoying! Surely these big window companies have their own areas where company vehicles should be stored???

In front of my house is just a total wreck...I am going to see my local councillor this week and see what he has to say about it. It annoys me that people just don't care about what things look like and it devalues their own property as well as mine!

Liose, why not try a letter to the company? Start it in a jokey way by saying something like their vans make better doors than windows because you can't see through them when they are inconsiderately parked outside you MiL's house see if that does any good.