Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

I read somewhere the pavement is officially part of the street. That's why I think I might be OK on pavements of other, non-resticted, streets.

Who knows, if it was a bit clearer I would do the right thing. I don't think getting fines is fun!

Rob.

From what I understand the council cannot legally ticket a vehicle that is not on the highway. Only the police can do anything about it if it's causing an obstruction.

The Council have the authority now to issue penalties for all parking matters now.

As you imply, this may be more a case of obstruction, in which case their authority is suspect.

I would check first, though, whether there are special rules/byelaws/powers applicable in the city centre.

I took my 15 month old grandson out in his pram the other day, the only way i could get through the pavement was to squeeze the pram pass a bl.ddy van parked on the pavement, there is no way i am walking on the road particulaly with my precious little cargo, so i squeezed past and caught the van, so bl.ddy what, it might get parked where it should be in future :rant::rant:

Go for revenge...Just attach sharp scratchy objects to your pram.

(thoughless parking on footie days, gleadless rd really winds me up)

Cars and vans right up on the pavement are quite common in Beighton, given people have young children and there are some people in village who use wheelchairs or mobility scooters, it is clearly selfish and dangerous.

Go for revenge...Just attach sharp scratchy objects to your pram.

(thoughless parking on footie days, gleadless rd really winds me up)

Don't get me started! Christ, it annoys me down there!

I live in Walkley and every street seems to have cars parked on the pavement on both sides of the road.

It must be horrendous for people with wheelchairs and prams, etc - I hate it because it just looks so ugly and wrong. The streets weren't built to accommodate hundreds of cars. I'm really ashamed of the fact that I live in a 3 car household.

Wasn’t there a government infomercial about this? I remember some woman with a pram looking annoyed she couldn’t get past a car parked on the pavement, followed by some old lady dropping her shopping.

I hate this problem, if a car is in the way I will force my wheelchair past, the motors have alot of power so wingmirrows dont last long

I hate this problem, if a car is in the way I will force my wheelchair past, the motors have alot of power so wingmirrows dont last long

If I pay you will you do both sides of gleadless road next time footie is on :)

I think a lot of the time it's the motorists' attempt to be sensitive to the needs of others.

Unfortunately, since in the eyes of said motorists, people who are not motorists simply do not exist, they're only sensitive to the needs of other drivers, and move as far off the road as possible so that cars can still get past. What happens to people on the pavement is irrelevant to them.

Not all drivers, by any stretch of the imagination, think this way. It's clear that a large number do, just by looking at how many cars are blocking the pavement on any given day.

I think a lot of the time it's the motorists' attempt to be sensitive to the needs of others.

Unfortunately, since in the eyes of said motorists, people who are not motorists simply do not exist, they're only sensitive to the needs of other drivers, and move as far off the road as possible so that cars can still get past. What happens to people on the pavement is irrelevant to them.

Not all drivers, by any stretch of the imagination, think this way. It's clear that a large number do, just by looking at how many cars are blocking the pavement on any given day.

My bold

Oh, definitely! The other thing that really gets me annoyed is when some stupid, selfish driver parks his car right in front of the dropped kerb (usually on yellow lines as well), so I can't get my ma-in-law's wheelchair across the road.

It's no fun trying to back a wheelchair down the pavement onto a busy road - especially when the moronic drivers are pipping at you and swearing!

I fear I may, on occasion, have accidentally grazed a vehicle that was in the way. Shame.