Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

My point is that you seem to object very strongly to any suggestion that someone may damage a car, but you don't object as strongly to the offence of someone blocking the pavement.

It seems that your priorities on this subject may be a little muddled and you see protecting property as more important tha pedestrian safety.

I may of course be wrong, but that is very much how you come across.

Your reply is unnecesserily agressive and atributes several opinions to me that I neither voiced nor hold.

It's also very impolite of you to question my morals and my upbringing. I made no suggestion whatsoever that I condone criminal damage of any kind.

On the contrary you seem to be suggesting that criminal damage is acceptable, so I think questioning morals is perfectly valid.

I don't condone parking on the pavement, but criminal damage is more serious, as Tony pointed out earlier the consequences imposed by the law are significantly greater.

I'm still not clear on your answer, do two wrongs make a right, or don't they?

Most of us, when using part of the pavement to park on, take care to allow adequate room for pedestrians, prams, wheel-chairs etc., to pass. We're aware that we're infringing upon pedestrian territory and as I say, most of us do our best to minimise that trespass. We aren't parking there to be awkward, we are attempting to lessen obstruction of the roadway in most instances.

Sorry? Have you been appointed spokesman of the park-on-the-pavement club or something?

Surprisingly enough, many motorists have also been known to actually walk to somewhere on occasion and no doubt have also been irritated at times by a carelessly parked vehicle

Quite right, so why are you making this a them-and-us debate :loopy:

Sorry? Have you been appointed spokesman of the park-on-the-pavement club or something?

If you care to read what I wrote with a little more understanding and slightly less ignorance, you will perhaps realise that I stated what, in my opinion, most reasonable and sensible drivers do when parking partly on a pavement.

As you appear to resent being included in this category, I can only conclude that you may possibly be one of the idiot drivers that I've referred to.

If this is indeed the case, then you have no need to feel aggrieved, as obviously, in no way, shape or form was I presuming to speak on behalf of your interests or point of view.

May I suggest that, unless you have something useful to contribute to this discussion, you avoid wasting both your own time and mine by posting pointless jibes.

Just thought I would put my two-penneth in and say that some bright spark wrote on my car with an indelible pen - whilst it was parked on MY OWN DRIVE!

If you care to read what I wrote with a little more understanding and slightly less ignorance, you will perhaps realise that I stated what, in my opinion, most reasonable and sensible drivers do when parking partly on a pavement.

As you appear to resent being included in this category, I can only conclude that you may possibly be one of the idiot drivers that I've referred to.

If this is indeed the case, then you have no need to feel aggrieved, as obviously, in no way, shape or form was I presuming to speak on behalf of your interests or point of view.

May I suggest that, unless you have something useful to contribute to this discussion, you avoid wasting both your own time and mine by posting pointless jibes.

If you care to read what I wrote, you will see that I was talking about people who park inconsiderately on the pavement.

It is virtually impossible to park a car on the pavement without restricting pedestrian access.

You claim to represent an imaginary majority because you think it gives credence to your views. You don't. It doesn't.

...You claim to represent an imaginary majority because you think it gives credence to your views. You don't. It doesn't.

The only imagination that I see in play here, is your own rather vivid one, which has appeared to convince you that I am speaking as a representative of the majority of motorists!

Arguing about your erroneous impression of how I view myself is detracting from the point of this discussion and is yet another version of your previous pointless post, so I'll call a halt to it, as far as I'm concerned.

I'll call a halt to it, as far as I'm concerned.

Fair enough, no point in a slanging match and apologies if I made it too personal.

The point I was making is that a significant number of drivers are not as considerate as you and do not leave enough room on the pavement.

A couple of wheels on the kerb does little harm, but it's a complete pain when you're trying to squeeze between a wing mirror and a privet every five yards. Agreed, having to "deviate from a straight line" is no big deal, but one shouldn't have to step into a bus lane to get past a parked car. The kerb is there to demarcate the road and the pavement and is there for good reason.

Fair enough, no point in a slanging match and apologies if I made it too personal.

To paraphrase your words... You did. It wasn't. ;)

Apology accepted, thank you. Incidentally, I have no argument whatever with your point in this instance.

MWuaaahhhahahaha

For those of you who have just joined this thread, here is an update, it started off as a valid complaint about cars being cars on pavements, generally supported by people who use prams and wheelchairs.

It is Illegal to park cars on pavements unless otherwise permitted, so they had a valid point, but it also puts our most vulnerable at risk, the women/children/disabled/elderly as they have to dodge traffic to avoid a parked car.

Then there were remarks made (myself included, although just in jest) about seeking revenge by playing pranks, which progressed to damaging property, which is also an illegal offence and out of order.

Then the trolls arrived and all the decent folk ran for the hills, the road rage rapid respose crew rallied to fend off the trolls, but being trolls themselves and having quite a limited volcabulary, decided to give up on diplomacy and started a war.

Harsh words were catapulted back and forth in an imalgimated mass of broken grammar and random slang, until time itself stopped.

Back in reality we still have too many cars on the street, and pavement, the vulnerable are still risking life and limb to get a pint of milk, and there are a few ppl with some serious anger issues sat at there machines, feeling either satisfied or miffed at the whole affair.

God bless em

Oh dear, I trust that this totally transparent house of yours can withstand rocky projectiles, hurled from within? ;)

Oh dear, I trust that this totally transparent house of yours can withstand rocky projectiles, hurled from within? ;)

Priceless isn't it? Reminds me of the guy in Pulp Fiction who bursts into the room shouting "die mother f*****s" and promptly misses with every shot.

I'm off to bed.

Priceless isn't it?
I'm afraid to say that it proved utterly irresistible to me...

(myself included, although just in jest)

mwaaaaaaahaahaaha

Mock on, mock on, Voltaire, Rousseau:

Mock on, mock on: ‘tis all in vain!

You throw the sand against the wind,

And the wind blows it back again.

And every sand becomes a Gem,

Reflected in the beam divine;

Blown back they blind the mocking Eye,

But still in Israel’s paths they shine.

The Atoms of Democritus

And the Newton’s Particles of Light

Are sands upon the Red Sea shore,

Where Israel’s tents do shine so bright.

"William Blake"

'tis a wise man that mocks a man, 'tis the mocked man that mocks the mocker.