Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

i'm tempted to jump on the next vehicle i see waiting in a pedestrian crossing, i normally just spit.

Around where I live it is understandable as the roads are Victorian and built for hores and carriages. There seems to be a sort of code in place where the pavement parking swop's from one side to the other on various days or weeks

I occasionally park with my car on the pavement up near Psalter Lane campus, but I only really do it because other cars do, and having a fairly small Peugeot 106 I try to only just go up on the kerb.

I understand obstructions for people getting annoyed. I'm sure there've all been times when we've had to cross over or at least have to walk in the road because a car has fully obstructed the pavement and that is annoying but when there's a wide pavement then I don't see anything wrong with it.

In fact it sometimes makes the roads easier to drive on. Since people started parking on both sides of the road on the road that runs alongside Psalter Lane I've been reluctant to park there for the reaons cited; it's simply too narrow and wing mirrors often seem to get knocked, nevermind when you encounter another car and have to reverse right back.

If we were to start complaining about the inconvenience to pushchair users on narrow pavements then I could go off on another tangent about using pushchairs in narrow supermarket aisles and what happens when those are "parked" inconveniently. But hey, it's not related and in the grand scheme of things it all balances out in the circle of life, etc.

I've got no problem with vehicles which park up a bit on the pavement as long as they leave sufficent space to get past. However for blind people who use the kerb as a guide it must be disconcerting and there are plenty of visually impaired people who may not see the vehicle in time. Then of course there are all the old people who walk with the aid of a stick or sticks or people who use crutches deviating for them is not as easy.

Far too many drivers in my opinion are just pig ignorant selfish morons, maybe they don't realise the problems they can cause with thoughtless parking.

...in the grand scheme of things it all balances out in the circle of life, etc.

Exactly Gabriella, whilst totally obstructing a pedestrian path is to be condemned, using a small part of it is often necessary... Live and Let Live is apparently not something readily understood by our vehicle-vigilante friends, it would seem.

I'd be fascinated to learn how many of them can and do drive though! ;)

The smart-alecs who would intentionally damage a vehicle because it is parked partially on the pavement and who advise other weak-willed idiots to do the same, are moronic, cowardly, low-life scum, in my estimation.

Agreed, wholly obstructing the pavement is reprehensible, though rarely do cars park in such a way that pedestrians, prams, etc., are unable to get by. In my own case, myself and my neighbours park about a foot onto the pavement on each side of the road, this is to avoid obstructing the road any more than necessary and to minimise damage to our vehicles by traffic trying to squeeze through a narrow gap and also, in our case, hopefully lessening the possibility of parking restrictions being imposed on us.

Any clever little cretinous half-wits who consider themselves fully justified in 'accidentally' scraping a pram against, or otherwise marking a parked vehicle because they cannot get two prams past at once, or are forced to move a few paces to one side when walking by, deserve their backsides kicking, preferably by an irate owner, wearing hob-nail boots!

Consider that when I park in the road, level with the kerb, I run a very high risk of losing my off-side wing-mirror, as has happened before... To those of you who don't own cars, let me explain that this is not just a matter of replacing the glass, in most cases, it means a whole new assembly and if they are electric mirrors, as many are, on a foreign-manufactured vehicle, there may not be much change out of several hundred pounds.

As you will see, I and many others are caught between a rock and a hard place... We either run the risk of considerable expense caused by other careless drivers... Or we risk incurring the wrath of self-righteous dopes who think that damaging the property of another is fully-justified... Whilst there are idiots about who haven't yet grasped the concept of 'Live & Let Live', we just can't win!

If the pavement is wholly obstructed by a careless or inconsiderately parked vehicle, then report the matter... Every vehicle carries a number plate which identifies the owner to the authorities... Nothing gives you the right to damage that vehicle intentionally!

Hopefully, after reading this, some of you may better understand just why so many cars park part-way onto the pavement, in many cases, they have very little choice in the matter.

This seems to be aimed at me.

If you can demonstrate the characteristics, within my public behaviour, of 'moronicness, lowlifeishness, cowardliness, scuminess, or , indeed,

cretinous halfwittedness: please do so.(your assertion alone is, unfortunately, inadequate)

Are you capable of recognizing 'humour' at all?

Your plaintive assertions of your 'need' to obstruct pavements are irrelevant tripe: I do it constantly, both with my car and at work in an articulated lorry.

If you do it you are a nuisance and it behoves you to accept both lawful reprimand and private rebuke with a good natured philosophical address.

If you are worried about your mirrors: pull them in on their swivels.

This seems to be aimed at me...

Does it? Well, you're doubtless familiar with the saying, "If the cap fits"... Or perhaps you may be being a little over-sensitive in this instance? Only you can decide... ;)

Incidentally, I don't have the luxury of being able to 'pull my wing-mirrors in', I only wish that I did!

I can drive and have had a license for twenty years or so. Once upon a time I was probably guilty of parking up a bit on the pavement sometimes but then as my circle of friends and aquaintances grew to include people in wheelchairs and a couple of blind people I started to see the world as they percieved it, vehicles on the pavement are a pain.

I've just been reminded of a time when a cortina had to be side stepped by me as he'd not only blocked the pavement he'd also chosen the darkest spot on the road to park. Unfortunately I didn't notice the tow bar that was sticking out which I caught hard enough to give me a week off work.

Maybe if you have nowhere to sensibly keep a car, you shouldn't be allowed to have one?

Seconded. Except I was going to ask if the bright spark who thinks prams and such like should suffer the sharp end of their boot had a full size snooker table and a swimming pool - if you haven't got room for those, you don't impinge on the public foothpath and whine about the damage done to them whilst you've left them unattended in somebody's right of way ;)

Seconded. Except I was going to ask if the bright spark who thinks prams and such like should suffer the sharp end of their boot had a full size snooker table and a swimming pool - if you haven't got room for those, you don't impinge on the public foothpath and whine about the damage done to them whilst you've left them unattended in somebody's right of way ;)

Either that's darn good stuff you're smoking... Or somebody hasn't read and fully understood this thread and the arguments therein!

Agreed, wholly obstructing the pavement is reprehensible, though rarely do cars park in such a way that pedestrians, prams, etc., are unable to get by.

Actually you're very much mistaken. I didn't realise the extent of this problem until I had a baby (and at that time didn't have a car so spent most time on foot pushing the pram). I found myself several times a day having to walk into the road to get round cars on the footpath.

It is totally unnaceptable for drivers to obstruct the pavement in this way, and those who defend the practice are idiots.

The smart-alecs who would intentionally damage a vehicle because it is parked partially on the pavement and who advise other weak-willed idiots to do the same, are moronic, cowardly, low-life scum, in my estimation.

Agreed, wholly obstructing the pavement is reprehensible, though rarely do cars park in such a way that pedestrians, prams, etc., are unable to get by. In my own case, myself and my neighbours park about a foot onto the pavement on each side of the road, this is to avoid obstructing the road any more than necessary and to minimise damage to our vehicles by traffic trying to squeeze through a narrow gap and also, in our case, hopefully lessening the possibility of parking restrictions being imposed on us.

Any clever little cretinous half-wits who consider themselves fully justified in 'accidentally' scraping a pram against, or otherwise marking a parked vehicle because they cannot get two prams past at once, or are forced to move a few paces to one side when walking by, deserve their backsides kicking, preferably by an irate owner, wearing hob-nail boots!

Consider that when I park in the road, level with the kerb, I run a very high risk of losing my off-side wing-mirror, as has happened before... To those of you who don't own cars, let me explain that this is not just a matter of replacing the glass, in most cases, it means a whole new assembly and if they are electric mirrors, as many are, on a foreign-manufactured vehicle, there may not be much change out of several hundred pounds.

As you will see, I and many others are caught between a rock and a hard place... We either run the risk of considerable expense caused by other careless drivers... Or we risk incurring the wrath of self-righteous dopes who think that damaging the property of another is fully-justified... Whilst there are idiots about who haven't yet grasped the concept of 'Live & Let Live', we just can't win!

If the pavement is wholly obstructed by a careless or inconsiderately parked vehicle, then report the matter... Every vehicle carries a number plate which identifies the owner to the authorities... Nothing gives you the right to damage that vehicle intentionally!

Hopefully, after reading this, some of you may better understand just why so many cars park part-way onto the pavement, in many cases, they have very little choice in the matter.

You are like a lot of other people in solving your problems you create problems for others.But of course we are only cretins & you are the genius.HA,HA.