Parking on pavements MEGATHREAD

anyone tell me whats the rule regarding cars parked on pavements a person near my moms parks a 4 by 4 completely blocking the pavement god knows how a blind person would go on.

Obstruction.

A police matter?

.. or has this passed to the Council now?

They are 'off road' vehicles!!!

Parking on the pavement is illegal unless there's a sign to allow it. And doubly so if there is a parking restriction in force on the road - you can be done for parking on the pavement and contravening the yellow lines.

Where are the parking wardens???

Highway Code

123: You MUST NOT drive on or over a pavement, footpath or bridleway except to gain lawful access to property.

Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & RTA sect 34

218: DO NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs, the visually impaired and people with prams or pushchairs.

I love cars parked on the pavement. I walk into their mirrors and bash my shopping bags on the doors as they get in the way :)

i just shout loudly that i wish i had my keys to scratch the darned thing, if i have my pram i try and scrape it on the doors as i struggle through

This is an interesting thread to me as I am a lorry driver and parking an HGV on the pavement is a contravention of the Road Traffic Act (1991 I think?)

However: for a car this appears to come under an entirely different statute as obstruction of a public footway or 'causing a nuisance'.

If it obstructs use of the path it will fall under an actionable statute: I suggest that you 'Google' this so that when you report it you can state the exact offence to the officer you speak to.( I , myself, can't be bothered):)

Highway Code

123: You MUST NOT drive on or over a pavement, footpath or bridleway except to gain lawful access to property.

Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & RTA sect 34

218: DO NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs, the visually impaired and people with prams or pushchairs.

Thank you for that link, going to post it through the door of some idiot who insists on parking on the pavement everyday when they have a brand new drive they could park on. Wouldn't mind but you can guarantee there's always dog poo on the bit where i can push the pushchair through, when i have my dog with me too, me, the dog and the pushchair have to go on the road as we just can't squeeze through, bloody idiots! You'd think because someone had banged into his car before, he'd learn his lesson but oh no :loopy: far too lazy to use his drive, easier to step out the front door, get in the car and drive away :loopy: Thanks once again, let's see if they take any notice!!

i just shout loudly that i wish i had my keys to scratch the darned thing, if i have my pram i try and scrape it on the doors as i struggle through

If you get some gaffa tape and unravel one of the very sticky threads from it, a good long one, you can stick it to the side of the car and it looks just like it's been keyed and you will have done nothing wrong. It might make them think twice about parking there or if nothing else you can have a giggle through the curtains at their faces when they find it.

this is one of my pet hates, there is a family on my street who have loads of visitors with cars, the problem is that sometimes there can be upto 4 cars outside their house, two of which are always parked anything from 3 quarters to fully on the payment. this does not hinder me personally but next door to them there is an old fella who rides a mobility scooter, i cant count how many times he has nearly been hit by a travelling car while trying to pass these parked cars just to get in and out of his own front yard because of having to go into the road to pass them.