Anyone been to Egypt??

taba is also nice if u fancy quieter than sharm...

i stayed all inclusive in the radisson sas which was lovely..

lmao...

turkish resorts have been bombed too you know :hihi:

Istanbul and antalya and wasnt it last year the travel agent went bust and the hotel made them all pay again .....

It sounds lovely - I don't think i'll let the bombs put me off though, hopefully it won't happen!

What is the nightlife like around Sharm? Apparently our hotel is a 15 minute walk from a place called Naama, whats that like?

I've heard about the men being quite pushy but i'm not too concerned - my fella is like a bodyguard so i'm always nice and safe.

I think the only thing that hasn't been covered in this thread is the surrounding areas of Sharm el Sheikh - what is that like? Also, are the beggers still as bad as they seemed to be in 2005 (just going off what this thread says), because it has started to worry me and I don't want it to ruin my holiday, i've saved every penny for months to afford this and I don't want to be guilt tripped into giving half of my hard earned money to them.

I used to live in Luxor and visit a couple of times a year, personally I feel safer on the streets there than I do in some places in England.

There are a number of forums with loads of information for anyone travelling to Egypt be it the Red Sea, Luxor, Cairo, Alex.

I think the only thing that hasn't been covered in this thread is the surrounding areas of Sharm el Sheikh - what is that like? Also, are the beggers still as bad as they seemed to be in 2005 (just going off what this thread says), because it has started to worry me and I don't want it to ruin my holiday, i've saved every penny for months to afford this and I don't want to be guilt tripped into giving half of my hard earned money to them.

The surrounding areas of Sharm are known as desert..........95% of Egypt is desert. You won't find many beggars in Sharm as no-one lives there;it's a tourist only resort. Traders' can be rather aggressive but if you're firm with them you won't have a problem.

Stop worrying and go enjoy yourself. If you want the experience of a life time, I highly recommend a visit to Cairo. It's not for the faint hearted but the Egyptian Museum, Sphinx and Pyramids are a must see.

For some reason the kids love biro pens (or did when I was there) so it might be an idea to take a few packs in your luggage to give away.

I wouldn't be surprised if Egypt bookings are up, not down in a recession. It's cheap, and they're not the worst at sales and marketing. They'll always pitch for business. People that wouldn't have considered Egypt before may be considering it.

don't give the kids pens. If you want to help them and have a bit of a laugh, take 'em to a cyber cafe and show them google and email.

Hey wondered if anyone can give some advice on going to egypt, we and my boyfriend have just booked a week at the beginning of september 5* all inclusive in sharm.

ive got a few questions -

what currency is best to take, ive read us dollars, uk sterling, and egyptian pounds?

is there alot of bugs there at that time of year, will i need to get repellents etc?

what is best to visit if you can only do 1, cairo or luxor?

Repellent is a must!!!! I got chewed up untill I started useing it(but then I always do) the best thing I found was the avon skin so soft dry oil spray, they dont market it as a bug repellent but the mozzies ahte it! The one in blue/green bottel, the pink one didnt work quite the same http://avonshop.co.uk/shop/product.asp?pf_id=4982&from=search&find_spec=skin%20so%20soft&pagenum=1

Hey wondered if anyone can give some advice on going to egypt, we and my boyfriend have just booked a week at the beginning of september 5* all inclusive in sharm.

ive got a few questions -

what currency is best to take, ive read us dollars, uk sterling, and egyptian pounds?

is there alot of bugs there at that time of year, will i need to get repellents etc?

what is best to visit if you can only do 1, cairo or luxor?

Change your British money into Egytian when you get there - you will get a better exchange rate. Generally any currency is acceptable if there is a profit or sale in it.

Keep small notes for tipping or backsheesh. Use it all up - not much use outside Egypt.

Cairo is mad, you would not want to spend more than three days there.

Luxor is ideal for all archaelogical sites - cheap tours available locally. Don't go less than 4,star - Sheraton, Sonesta, or Steinburger I can recommend.

Watch what you eat food poisoning is endemic, esp on the Nile cruise boats.

The Red Sea area is for more traditional sun and sea holidays

Don't go in the hot months and enjoy the finest climate in the world

I'm going on one of those Nile cruises. What should I avoid eating so I don't get poisoned?