The Virgin Media Megathread- all broadband service discussions in here please

I'm on Virgin 8 meg over a phone line. Most evenings I get about 0.2 meg.

As soon as I can be bothered to change my email address I'm going to change to Zen.

oh well its just me who has no complaints lol

oh well its just me who has no complaints lol

I'm still getting close to 2 meg on my 2 meg connection according to this;

http://resources.zdnet.co.uk/speedtest/

Wonder if Virgin is giving Wednesdayites special treatment :hihi:

I just tried link above and got nearly 3M. I'm downloading in background too, so no complaints there.

Is anyone else having problems since Virgin Media took control of Telewest?

I've formatted twice today and still have a speed problem,my connection is annoyingly slow,i'm supposed to be on 2 meg but it's behaving more like dialup.

well i'm having same but it's down to that V+ box. The wires in my home and the green exchange box are too old to take the new signal.

I had an engineer out last Thursday who tested everything as we couldn't get a picture on our V+ box and the net dropped in speed. It turns out that the new V+ box uses alot of bandwidth and it was drawing too much from everything but still not enough to display a picture.

I have an engineer comming out this Thursday to rewire the green box and all the wire from the green box to the back of Modem/TV box.

This maybe the same for you guys ???

________

Edited by Eric_Collins

I'm still getting close to 2 meg on my 2 meg connection according to this;

http://resources.zdnet.co.uk/speedtest/

Wonder if Virgin is giving Wednesdayites special treatment :hihi:

Isn't ZDNet based in the US? Wouldn't it be better to try a UK-based speed test? There's plenty around - think you'll get some much better "results" :thumbsup:

I used to be with Telewest and found their engineers to be very good and acomodating, give the customer services a ring and tell them youre receicing unsatisfactory service and get a guy out to check it over!

still seems to be clocking 2Mb atm.

im in sharrow btw.

no problems here, -- But I know people who have had troubles with thier connection for months, and telewest never sorted it, and said there was no problem, theyer paying for 10mb and were getting bout 4 - Send/Recieve lights flashing constantly, they had a connection, but slow and telewest kept saying there was no problem

don't forget line contention, if they say you have a line contention ratio of 20 and 8Mb bandwidth then you share the 8Mb between all 20 users

so if they are all on at the same time and all download huge files at the same time then their average download speed will be somewhere around 0.8Mb for each user, in practice some will go faster and some will go slower

and bear in mind line contention ratios go as high as 50 sometimes so an 8Mb line with a contention ratio of 50 could go down to 160Kb/s or less

then you need to factor in the load on the server at the other end

and of course if no one else is on then it's going to fly like the wind

generally the lower your maximum connection speed the lower the contention ratio

Contention isnt as strict with cable, as its direct to them, not to an exchange then to them, so your not sharing the line, your only sharing the server...