Did you work at ESC Brightside in the late 50's

My uncle John South worked for ESC. I remember him coming home after an accident at work he’d burnt the back of his neck.

My dad worked in the foundry on Brightside Ln with his Brother,  i worked at Swindon House in the welding Lab, when i used to visit the  SARCLAD unit at Brightside i would nip in to see him . All the blokes would shout , PUT A BIT OF RAPSBERRY ON MINE

as soon as i appeared in the white smock.

Jim.

On 24/01/2020 at 12:46, hobinfoot said:

My uncle John South worked for ESC. I remember him coming home after an accident at work he’d burnt the back of his neck.

I went to school and worked with him in the melting shop at the E.S.C. He once brought me home on his new motor bike and scared the wotsit out of me doing 83 mph down Brightside lane. It was 6am so no police about. Their house just off ellesmere road was where I first tasted fried eel.

On 01/02/2020 at 17:52, jad279 said:

My dad worked in the foundry on Brightside Ln with his Brother,  i worked at Swindon House in the welding Lab, when i used to visit the  SARCLAD unit at Brightside i would nip in to see him . All the blokes would shout , PUT A BIT OF RAPSBERRY ON MINE

as soon as i appeared in the white smock.

Jim.

I worked in ESC Welding lab from 1964 until 1967 mostly working on Submerged Arc Cladding  & went up to Lab area in Foundry quite a lot. In October 1967 went to work at Bisra Hoyle street  then Teesside Labs from 1976.  Maybe we know each other?

John Moore

Edited by johnpm

Hi John , just a bit before my time , but i quite a bit of work with submerged arc weldind at Swinden Labs , and the Sarclad roll reclemation set up at Brightside from around 1971. Alan Edwards , Derek Crossland might be names you know .

16 hours ago, jad279 said:

Hi John , just a bit before my time , but i quite a bit of work with submerged arc weldind at Swinden Labs , and the Sarclad roll reclemation set up at Brightside from around 1971. Alan Edwards , Derek Crossland might be names you know .

Were you ate Swinden when Roy Gunstone was manager of Welding lab? He was Maanager of Welding lab at ECS when I was there.

Can't recall Alan Edwards or Derek Crossland. I spent quit e a lot of time at Swinden in the 1980's & 90's at meetings & with Derek Wake on Quality.

Hi John , i worked at the labs from 71 to 79 , then i went to work for post office telephones as i had some training on electrical instruments while i was there. I remember the name Roy Gunstone but Alan Edwards was in charge then . When i left Roger Hooper was the Department Manager. Working at the labs was a great for me as it opened a lot of doors later in my working life . They were also Great days , Bowls and a pint at lunch , cricket on the field after work , and visiting interesting places like the ind coup brewery when we went to study trier stainless vats.

Jim.

Edited by jad279
missed word

On 02/02/2020 at 08:34, Kidorry said:

I went to school and worked with him in the melting shop at the E.S.C. He once brought me home on his new motor bike and scared the wotsit out of me doing 83 mph down Brightside lane. It was 6am so no police about. Their house just off ellesmere road was where I first tasted fried eel.

He liked a bit of speed. The eel was probably caught by his dad.

On 04/02/2020 at 12:25, jad279 said:

Hi John , i worked at the labs from 71 to 79 , then i went to work for post office telephones as i had some training on electrical instruments while i was there. I remember the name Roy Gunstone but Alan Edwards was in charge then . When i left Roger Hooper was the Department Manager. Working at the labs was a great for me as it opened a lot of doors later in my working life . They were also Great days , Bowls and a pint at lunch , cricket on the field after work , and visiting interesting places like the ind coup brewery when we went to study trier stainless vats.

Jim.

Where were the labs and the cricket field situated ?

The Labs were on Moorgate Rd  Rotherham opposite Rotherham Genral Hospital , there was a large field inside the complex that was used for sports and sitting around at lunch time . The Labs had its own social club with a bowling green and tennis courts.

Nice place to work ,

Jim.

46 minutes ago, jad279 said:

The Labs were on Moorgate Rd  Rotherham opposite Rotherham Genral Hospital , there was a large field inside the complex that was used for sports and sitting around at lunch time . The Labs had its own social club with a bowling green and tennis courts.

Nice place to work ,

Jim.

Hi Jim, Don't know if you know that Swinden Labs was shut just over a year ago. The staff were supposed to go to a new Lab at Warwick but few, if any, went. I gather application for houses on the site was put in. I don't live in Sheffield now so not seen site for a few years.

John

Hi John , yes its on its way to being another housing estate , there were many ideas as to where it was going , Aldwalk ,the Enterprise park , and many others before it went to Warwick . My wife had worked in the Chemmy Lab from leaving Thomas Rotherham at 18 and got fed up with the situation and took early retirement . Shame as it was a great place.

Jim.