Did you work at ESC Brightside in the late 50's

I think my father worked there at that time. He was an Electrician at the Brightside works until approx the late 1970s. His name was Walt Arnold

Are you Jean Arnold , mum Laura and used to live at 140 Petre Street with your Granma?

Edited by stpetre
Add

Hi Eagleweb, Would .love to see the photos of ESC - I was there 1960 -1967 as Reasearch trainee for 3 years then in Welding Lab. John

I have a picture of a staff dinner taken I presume at the Phoenix Rooms in the 1960's?? possibly earlier. All the attendees gathered for the photo. PM me if you want me to send it to you.

My dad was Albert Warrender and he worked in the South Machine Shop for almost all of his working life. He died in 2002 at the age of 86.

Have just noticed this post number 9 in 2011 on this page from June Warrender and that her account is closed.

My mother, who died in 1999 aged 81, used to talk of the Warrenders.

The family lived on Adsetts Street Grimesthorpe. I recall that June's dad, Mr Albert Warrender, had an Excesior motorbike similar to this in around 1950...

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=fCn35Lmg&id=FAAEBB7C0611A254F47354AB196CB2B8A2BE035A&thid=OIP.fCn35LmgeYUSDDGxDeuxXwE6DG&q=excelsior+motorcycles&simid=608005923155282201&selectedIndex=24&qpvt=excelsior+motorcycles&ajaxhist=0

Hope things are ok with June.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Worked there myself on leaving school Jan 1960. Was in Bar Mills office working as a progress chaser. Manager Mr.Simpson, office head Arthur Hartle, typist Enid. Remember a crane driver called Sam. Super canteen with fish and chips Fridays with parsley sauce from a large, aluminium help-yourself jug. Also used to get passouts to go for Fussel's milk etc at that shop. Remember the internal road sweeping women known as 'The Horses'. I left in 61, the dark satanic mills weren't for me !

It's been a long time but just noticed your entry. Was the office you worked in a small brick built office block infront of the West Machine shop and just about next to the canteen. The general manager was Mr. Brocklehurst, office foreman Harry Brown, his assistant was George Hartley.

It's a bit earlier than the thread covers but maybe this picture from 1950 will interest some relatives of the Electrical Repair Shop (or very old) employees. :)https://postimg.org/image/t2m0u0c9r/

Edited by Voldy
typo

Hi Voldy,

Thanks for the photo. Although 1950 is a bit early for me, I started in the repair shop 1956, and then only there for 1 year before moving onto other departments. Unfortunately the picture disintegrates when blown up but I think I recognise a couple of guys. Tall guy on back row was an armature winder. 3rd and 4th from the left middle row could be Johnny ? and Stan Cave, the were control panel re-builders. The shop manager must have changed as the one in my time was a very sick looking man and I don't remember ever seeing him smile. There again I suppose 6 years can change some one.

I started in jan '60 in the research dept' as a pre apprentice preparing test pieces for the metallurgists-- "sharpy izods" come to mind .

I had each wednesday in the apprentice training workshop learning bench work, marking out, filling, fitting then using centre lathes, slotters, shapers ready for the day the apprentice supervisor (Tommy eyre) came at the years 3nd to place each trainee in the more advanced shop downstairs.

I had told him I wanted to be a joiner back when I started and on the day he came to place me--- he wanted me to eventually work in the east machine shop after more trai ing but I stuck to my guns saying joiners shop or I leave-- he was a little bit riled and cleared me off but two weeks later I was an apprentice joiner, lovely guys, lovely place to learn and very sad when I left in '67 but in the meantime thanks to all concerned with my welfare in those days I had aquired an ambition that, tho it took me down numerous hard paths workwise and a year away from home that was even harder I was able to attain the job I wanted to do. One that I did for over thirty four years.

If it wasnt for the ESC and many there at the time I cant imagine what I would have done in later life.

A big thank you!!!!

My dad was Albert Warrender and he worked in the South Machine Shop for almost all of his working life. He died in 2002 at the age of 86.

knew your dad, he was a friend of my dad and i spent many times in his kitchen watching him make and repair fishing rods and such,my son may still have tackle made by your dad, such are memories made of.

regards :- kinjuro

Was there ESC premises on Carlisle Street East at the Grimesthorpe side of Newhall Road corner, opposite the bottom of Carlisle Road (Crown Hill) ? I think it had yellow painted gates and fences.

My mum worked in the offices st ESC in the 60s, and she often mentions the beautiful wood panelling and marble in the offices. Does anyone have any pics of the interior, I'd love to show her!

She also tells of how they used to get driven home on the back of the steel waggons when the trams didn't run due to snow.

My mum worked in the offices st ESC in the 60s, and she often mentions the beautiful wood panelling and marble in the offices. Does anyone have any pics of the interior, I'd love to show her!

She also tells of how they used to get driven home on the back of the steel waggons when the trams didn't run due to snow.

Hi feargal,

I didn't work at ESC but at Firth Brown's Head Offices in the early 60s where Brightside Lane becomes Savile Street East. The type of products were similar.

The Main Entrance and Directors offices were also marble and wood panelling, whilst us mere mortals had green and cream painted walls, but we did have polished brass door handles. :hihi:

My point is that I have never found any photos of the panelling and marble although I have actually seen it. There are hundreds of photos on Picture Sheffield of the exterior and the workshops. I expect this was to promote the products. Unfortunately I imagine the same may be true of BSC.

I do have a couple of personal pics in my office though. :)

Good luck with your search.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi feargal,

I didn't work at ESC but at Firth Brown's Head Offices in the early 60s where Brightside Lane becomes Savile Street East. The type of products were similar.

The Main Entrance and Directors offices were also marble and wood panelling, whilst us mere mortals had green and cream painted walls, but we did have polished brass door handles. :hihi:

My point is that I have never found any photos of the panelling and marble although I have actually seen it. There are hundreds of photos on Picture Sheffield of the exterior and the workshops. I expect this was to promote the products. Unfortunately I imagine the same may be true of BSC.

I do have a couple of personal pics in my office though. :)

Good luck with your search.

Peter.

Thanks Peter, I'll let you know if so ever track any pics down!