The Ark in the 1960's

I don't know if I have just dreamed this but I am sure that in the 60's there used to be a church either in the Walkley/Crookes/Crookes Valley area that used to hold disco's on a Saturday night. I remember going to this place and I am sure it was known as The Ark.

Does anyone else remember this or have I just completely lost it!!:hihi::huh:

I don't know if I have just dreamed this but I am sure that in the 60's there used to be a church either in the Walkley/Crookes/Crookes Valley area that used to hold disco's on a Saturday night. I remember going to this place and I am sure it was known as The Ark.

Does anyone else remember this or have I just completely lost it!!:hihi::huh:

hi ,smiley no you are not dreaming been to it myself i lived at darnall and used to go with the darnall lads and some of the ark regulars used to come to the speak easy disco on darnall

no you wasnt dreaming the ark was on crookesmoor road the music was northern soul and motown the same crowd o f kids also went to the highwayat heeley a dance hall above some shops great days no drugs no alcohol we were high on great music

Well that's a relief. Glad that I'm not going mad. All I remember is having a great night out - like you say no alcohol, no drugs just great music and a fantastic atmosphere. I know it used to get packed each weekend. But as far as I am aware there was never ever any trouble everybody was there just wanting a good time.

Hi, yes it was a great place to go,I pass the area quite often, it always takes me back.I dont see the crowd I used to go with, and nobody seemes to know of it. Wonder what happened to the group that used to play there 'Love or Confusion' used to play Hendrix songs really good.

Hi, yes it was a great place to go,I pass the area quite often, it always takes me back.I dont see the crowd I used to go with, and nobody seemes to know of it. Wonder what happened to the group that used to play there 'Love or Confusion' used to play Hendrix songs really good.

think I remember them - guitarist tall thin wore specs, drummer smallish had droopy mustache?

Hi, the lead guitar had fair hair and used to play guitar like Hendricks, at the back of his neck, not all the time of course, but he was good.

Hi, the lead guitar had fair hair and used to play guitar like Hendricks, at the back of his neck, not all the time of course, but he was good.

Yep I remembert him doing the behind the neck thing - only saw them a couple of times - my ex girlfriend who became a good mate after we split, went out with the drummer - they were a great band

We were young girls, and Lucy and her twin sister asked there father who was the priest of the church if we could do something with the community hut.

It was good fun,,we decorated it did a stage never thought it would take off like it did. This was about 1965. The Ark was a good name because they all came in 2 by2. A brill set up. Often wondered what happened to Lucy I think her sister was was Brenda.

Carol wood.

Just now, PHIL BRODIE said:

Hi ,LOVE OR CONFUSION did not have a tall guitarist that wore specs !Ha Ha .  they were four pretty boys that played heavy music ie Hendrix etc..  At that time they were the only Sheffield band that caused the girls to go wild .  Steve the bass guitarist would be dragged off stage every night ! 😉they signed a record deal in 1968  , went off to London and later split to play in various bands. look them up on google Sheffield bands.  https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/gallery/image/1611-love-or-confusion/

Ah, Phil Brodie,  weren't you the lead guitar?

It was your band that introduced me to  heavy music, to which I still prefere.