Very BIG rant about PC World.

People who lack any computer nous and want to buy a PC from an established retailer should use John Lewis. They never quibble over sorting out problems within a guarantee period - and they give you a 2 year guarantee as standard. But nobody can really compete with Dell on price can they?

I really don't like to hear stories like this. On one hand it just reinforces my dislike for PC World, but on the other it makes me wonder if PCs are really devices for the home. One minor glitch can just stop it working completely and if the owner has little technical knowledge, it can be a nightmare to correct. They assume the machine is broken, when it may not be. Gone are the days of the Spectrum and C64 where you just turned it on and it was ready to use. Hopefully, Macs will make further inroads into the home and be the machine of choice for the IT terrified.

I'm not saying this is the case here - a blue screen issue could be hardware or software related.

One thing I will suggest to people fighting the big companies, don't write sarcastic letters to them - they just laugh at them. When I worked for TIME Computers back in the 90's they had a "relatives of Anne Robinson" wall - where they used to stick the letters from complaining customers who threatened to report TIME to Watchdog and would get a good response because Anne Robinson (presenter at the time) was either a close personal friend or some relative.

If you can determine it is a definite hardware problem,and the case has not been opened return and politely demand a refund or replacement.There is loads of stuff on google this is a small part,read and know your rights and be prepared to quote.

http://www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/fact-sheets/page24700.html

Ghozer is incorrect about his times for returns.Sale of Goods act.(upto 6 yrs in some circumstances)

A "back street" guy needs to give good service to survive,and relies on word of mouth for a lot of business.PC World etc.are so big they can absorb these glitches (increase the price to cover it),support your local community.

Has she attached anything to the PC other than what came with it, MP3 player, printer, scanner for example? Has she put any other software on it (such as Itunes, RealPlayer, MSN Messenger)? Did the PC come with virus software or a firewall? If it didn't has she been on the Internet with it?

If the answer to any of those questions is yes then there is every chance it isn't PC World's fault. Although they should still be able to repair it for a fee.

nope, they have dont nothing to the PC at all.

we went to PC World on Friday (twice!!!!) and they have taken the PC in and said it will be 'fixed' by this Tuesday (tomorrow!) so we will have to see what happens...will keep you informed... :)

A colleague of mine recently bought two reconditioned units from the pc world website and when they arrived none of them worked.

well its my computer that missgobby has been talking about and as you can see im back in action,what a nightmare though i hope to god it never breaks down again because i cant go through all that hassle again,im dreading the phone bill coming in because i had to ring the tech dept so many times last week and each call lasted about 30 mins in one case 1 hr and 30 mins,the tech guy went to p.c. world yesterday to try and fix it and low and behold the computer was still blue screening so at 7pm last night they got a new one out to me,im hoping its new anyway because it didnt come in a box,didnt think to ask at the time because the lad had come in a taxi and it couldnt park so he was in a rush,keep your fingers crossed for me folks

I've only ever been in PC world a handfull of times. This was mainly to do with me kid when he was training with Mansfield Town FC, The store is next to it.

Anyways i decided to buy a Fan and cooler set for the motherboard they had on sale.It cost something like ?7.99'ish , i asked a sales bloke to fetch me one.

i waited..................

then waited some more.......................

still waited......................................................

45mins past and he still hadn't turned up :rant:

I didn't wait there just stood like a fool, i was fool for even asking a chimp to do a job a 6 year old child could do:rant:

It's about the same service you get when buying a football from JJB, you know the ones thats held up in the air on them rings.:rant:

________

IRISH COOKING

Edited by Eric_Collins