Is anyone on telewest /virgin having problems with e mail

I've suspected that my internet speed has slowed since Virgin Media took over from Blueyonder.

I've tested it for three consecutive days using thinkbroadband.coms internet speed tester.

I pay for a 2Mb connection and I'm currently receiving a 1Mb connection.

I will ring tomorrow to inquire why.

Watch this thread for updates.

I am inclined to agree with you on this one everything seems slower since the takeover plus the call centre staff do not seem as helpfull as when telewest were in sole charge.

to be fair when i tried to ring them on the day the turnover was on the lines were dead once you had got past the automated bit.

I've suspected that my internet speed has slowed since Virgin Media took over from Blueyonder.

I've tested it for three consecutive days using thinkbroadband.coms internet speed tester.

Absolutely no difference in speed on my 2Mb connection.

gonna say its spot on from what ive experianced

My broadband over the last few days has made dial up seem superfast,why should a takeover affect our broadband speed?Having said that it did get back to normal late last night/early this morning.I'll be keeping watch on their performance and if they don't perform as well as Telewest has over the last 12 months i for one will waving bye bye to Virgin Media.

Had a lot of problems over the last few days with my Virgin cable internet connection freezing. Tried ringing them once, and the support centre weren't very good, just going through a script. I'm fairly experienced at home networking so I knew it wasn't a configuration problem with my PC.

Seemed to be working OK this morning though.

Telewest used to regularly appear in the top 3 of ISPs in surveys and NTL far closer to the bottom 3. NTL took over Telewest and things stayed much the same. I had great service [Telewest] and my girlfriend didn't NTL].

Someone elese mentioned this issue last night and my conection was running fine and at speed it should be when tested, even though I was dowloading in the background too. For those that care about such things, genuinely unlimited downloads, such as VM/Telewest offer is not the case with nearly, if not all every other providers. I need that feature for work, so a 'cheaper' provider may cost me far more.

Upload speeds still suck though, but that's the case with every service. Fast downloads, mediocre to pathetic uploads.

Ok, here's an update:

I've tested the broadband connection speed for 5 consecutive days at 21:00 hours using the speed tester available to all at thinkbroadband.com

If you register (it's free) with this site you can archive your speed tests and view them as a graph of connection speed plotted against time.

Over the five days my download connection speeds (the ones that matter to most of us) have been:

270kb

450kb

2mb

2mb

900kb

I've tried to get through to Virgin Media this evening, but after waiting on hold for fifteen minutes I got fed up.

I'll be more persistent tomorrow and update you again.

Watch this space.

Im on Telewest too and YEH the connection/download speed is pathetic. To the extent where I switch off n call it a day. It has been totally USELESS since Virgin took it over and the drop down email selection is pretty lame too. why not just click on a hover button? Also there's a constant failure to refresh..."NOT AVAILABLE" what's going on?

OMG is this the shape of things to come? Not to mention the fact we pay for a designated download rate and dont even get half the speed! SO VIRGIN.... do we all get compo for the irritation you are causing us?

Here's the update on my experiences with Virgin Media:

At 1600 hrs (Thursday 8/3/07), I phoned Virgin Media's customer service line and passed through the automated filtering stages until I reached the 'cancel my services' section. At 1630hrs, I was still on hold.

I put the phone down and went through the procedure again, only this time I selected the 'upgrade my services' section. I was connected to an advisor within 5 minutes.

I explained that I was unhappy with my Virgin Media services; that in my opinion, the TV package had suffered by the loss of particular Sky services. And that the poor content of the two replacement 'replay' channels did not, in my opinion compensate for that loss. I also pointed out the defects with the contracted broadband speed. I then received a diatribe about how I should not purposefully filter into the wrong section and that I must speak to the 'cancel my services' section about cancelling.

The adviser told me she was switching me to that section and put me on hold. After five minutes of muzak, the line went dead.

I determined to get through to the 'cancel my services' section at whatever cost, and went through the relevant filtering all over again. I held...I held...I held...

At 1730hrs, I put the phone down and emailed them.

That's 24 hours ago, and guess what? I'm still waiting for a response.

im paying for 4 meg with telewest and not even getting 2. ive also got talk unlimited and the bills are high everytime . in my opinion broadband is crap and im cancelling and going to sky broadband for only atenner for 8 meg and skytalk they cant be beaten yet

Mine is exactly the same, just recently been upgraded to 4mb from 2mb, with the 2mb service I had no problems, however since the swap to 4mb its been down to 260kb downloads in the evenings and eventually 4mb from 11:00pm onwards, no good on week nights when you've got work in the morning.

However switching to Sky your not guaranteed to get the full 8 meg either, depending upon on how close your location is to the exchange and the quality of your BT line.

you'll not get an email response. i didnt when i got fed up of holding. but stay on the line - you were probably right at the front after 30 mins holding. it doesnt cost you anything.