Anyone see the fighter jet?

I'm in Handsworth and I was just wandering if anyone else saw the fighter jet fly over at tea time (25/8/04)? It was really low, hope it wasn't american, I didn't fancy any friendly fire whilst eating my tea!

Well I didnt see it but I heard it I wondered what it was it was really loud compared to the helicopter thats always above our estate !I thought they had sent the really big boys to get the bad boys this time :( I'm near Meadowhall .

lots of love pretty woman xxx

Although I didn't see it I'm assuming it was a Tornado as it sounded very familiar. It was being taken reasonably gently at the time, possibly letting some body know he was in the area!

Not that this thing ever happens, as the R.A.F do frown upon it and don't ever allow it to happen.

Many years ago I was introduced to an old Pilot who allegedly in his wartime days had flown a Spitfire so low over his home village he creamed a chimney belonging to one of his parents neighbours cottages.

During his leave not only did he go home to a furious neighbour but he was also on the roof rebuilding the chimney stack!

i saw it went passed me really fast i thought to myself wouldn't take you go to getanywhere in that it soon was gone as it was going that fast

Over the past 2 months we have had chinook helicopters and at least 3 tornadoes do low level flying over this area.......I don't know why they are coming over sheffield but in a way it's nice to see our boys doing some manouvers here

Going slightly off topic....

Driving through North Yorkshire (Fillingdales???) a few months back. To the left there was about 100 metres of field then a wooded area. I assume that behind the woods there was a valley as just as I was passing a chinook came over the woods almost vertical. It then levelled out and flew over at no more than 50 foot in the air.

To quote Jasper Carrott "Smell it? I was sitting in it" (not litterally!!!)

Those things don't half make some noise...

There is a landing pad that used to have a black Chinoque helicopter often landing @ the top of Lodge Moor/Stannington way.

As for the plane could this be one of the new super dooper fighter jets we've been promised?

Nah, twas only a Tornado.

It flew over our house at Darnall last night, heading roughly NE to SW.

Seemed pretty low to me.

As for the "black" Chinook helicopters, I saw one of them late last year doing long slow lazy circles over Handsworth. Apparently they arn't black, but the colour scheme the RAF uses just makes em seem so from a bit of a distance, if viewed from the ground...

Yeah din't see it but heard it, I was sat in Meadowhell car park, (Like a looser!) X

yeh the further out you go, the lower they get.

always over my house and i reckon soon ill be able to have one of those weapons away! :-)

during the war my grandad would fly over my grans house and cut the engine so she knew it was him and he was ok.

risky but he got away with it!

I've had a couple of days off, so I missed it :( but I am told that a Tornado did a low pass down the runway at Sheffield Airport. No particular reason - he just felt like it!

If you are keen to be a fighter pilot, you could do worse than get down to the Manchester Gay Pride Carnival tomorrow (I believe) as the RAF will have a float there!

It's their latest wheeze to recruit more SAM fodder, i mean highly trained pilots of the future.

I cannot wait to see their outfits!