Born in Sheffield but now live in Australia

I often wonder if living in Australia is better than living in Sheffield.

Many people have done well down under but many have also returned home.

Which is better and why ?

J DEE

My biggest like about living in Oz is the weather, I didnt realise until I went back to the UK just how much time I spend outdoors.& even if I am indoors all the doors & windows are usually open & our winter here in Qld only lasts a couple of months & I do nothing but complain about how cold it is when it gets down to -1 or -2. I do miss things about the UK such as the friendly pubs & the closeness of family. Life here is more laidback somehow, but I think Yorkshire is still one of the most beautiful places in the world & I get a lump in my throat whenever I return to the UK & stand somewhere like the Yorkshire Moors. You do miss having the things like schoolfriends & people that you grew up with around you though. But having been here 30 years I have learnt to live with this weather haha.

hi i was born in sheffield

now live in mudgee nsw i still have relies in sheffield ihope to start tracing family history if anybody can help it would be great my family moved to oz in 1970 if you would like to email me at dswilde@hwy.com.au it would be nice to hear from you

dave

I wonder if I'm the exception...I am an Australian but I moved to England in my late 20s, eventually moving to Sheffield where I have been for over 30 years and I love it. Never mind about the weather, OK sometimes it is foul (and I came from Rockhampton, right on the Tropic of Capricorn).

But I found what I wanted here, married and settled down and have been very happy. Involved with Sheffield life and the community, and interested in its history.

Waltheof.

My hubby also comes from Rockhampton (The Caves) & I lived in Moura for a while.

Funny isnt it, I took my hubby to the UK for the first time 3 years ago & he also fell in love with the place. Not to mention the beer (John Smiths) I on the otherhand coudnt stand a winter in the UK as much as I love Yorkshire.

I remember one Christmas in Moura it was so hot the bitumen was bubbling on the road. Can't win its either boiling bitumen or snow.

Its great having the best of both worlds really isnt it? If I won lotto (millions) I would have winter in Oz & summer in the UK.

Janet.

i too was born and bred in Sheffield. First time on this site and geeze, didnt realise that I missed so much stuff,,, and also didnt realise that I had FORGOTTEN about so much stuff. I came over here 10 years ago and live just outside of Brisbane. Was born in 1966 and went to City School. Lived also in Intake and Gleadless and my mum owned the Birley Hotel and Frechevill for a fair few years.

Hi scaja i was bourn in gleedless, moved to walkley then to wath on dearn then back to park district. Now in the blue mountains

Waltheof.

My hubby also comes from Rockhampton (The Caves) & I lived in Moura for a while.

Funny isnt it, I took my hubby to the UK for the first time 3 years ago & he also fell in love with the place. Not to mention the beer (John Smiths) I on the otherhand coudnt stand a winter in the UK as much as I love Yorkshire.

I remember one Christmas in Moura it was so hot the bitumen was bubbling on the road. Can't win its either boiling bitumen or snow.

Its great having the best of both worlds really isnt it? If I won lotto (millions) I would have winter in Oz & summer in the UK.

Janet.

Hi Janet,

I am from Sheffield and have been in OZ since 1970. We live in Albion Park just south of Wollongong. I love Oz, love the weather, the lay back attitude etc although I must say that it has changed a great deal since we arrived. Generally I think that life is what you make it wherever you live!

My husband almost went to work in Moura in the early '80's. The mines in

this area were laying people off and jobs were on offer in Queensland. We went up for a look but decided against it as we had teenage children and

there didn't seem much for them to do there.

Dors.

[quote=Dors;

My husband almost went to work in Moura in the early '80's. The mines in

this area were laying people off and jobs were on offer in Queensland.

As my other half says, I knocked the job back in Moura thank god, because it blew up a few months later & a few blokes were killed, I could have been one of them had I accepted the job.

We are having my wifes cousin & husband coming from Chapeltown this Tuesday, there son in law is Bright Sodje who played pro rugby league, his brother is Akpo Sodje who plays for Wednesday, so I suppose I'll get an earbashing listening about both codes for a few weeks.

Hope you're keeping fit and well Janet, the St George/ Illawarra Dragons are looking forward to a good season with their new coach Wayne Bennett.

scaja, you can keep up to date with S/Wednesday by vising their website, or by going on the Star website.