Railway track at Oughtibridge

About three weeks back I saw a freight train on the that track heading towards the steelworks at Stocksbridge

Is it still single line?, this route used to be twin tracks, use the spare base for tram, with passing points at the stations along the route.

Yes it's still a single line at least for some of the way at the stocky end, not sure about the rest.

I've walked along it (don't worry strix there's paths next to it!) many times but only managed to see a train about twice. I've heard them more times though, including just a couple of nights ago.

It'd be brilliant if its redevelopment into use for passengers could be incorporated into the new development down there. You could have a good park and ride scheme there - people from surrounding areas could come, park up and get the train to work, then on the way home, get their shopping done then drive home. That'd be ace as it'd help with congestion in town plus encourage more people to use the new (and hopefully old as well) shops.

It's single line all the way from Nunnery Junction through the remnants of Victoria Station right out to Stocksbridge steel works.

Used once a day (when required) with an out and back trip from Aldwarke Steelworks, Rotherham to Stocksbridge in the early evening.

In recent months the leaf buster train has been seen out there and a network gauging train too.

The odd and very rare passenger special has traversed the line in recent years as well.

So it is used and may get used again soon by the Don Valley Railway Society for passenger services and yes it is an offence to walk or trespass on the line.

Does anyone know whats happening with the railway track that goes through oughtibridge to the steelworks at Stocksbridge? Just curious to know cos I've walked on it a few times, but never seen any trains actually use it. Would be useful to run a few trains during the rush hour to releive congestion on Penistone Rd

when i was young i used to live near wincbank station were my grandad was signalman there and 2 of my auntys worked there and i am sure the track at wincobank and blackburn station used to go that way to provide coal for the steel works wincobank and blackburn station closed unde beaching who saw the destuction of the railways as thatcher did for pits, the station is still there and a listed building but all the track asgone along with the platforms and signaling system beeching had a lot to answer to

its a good walk up there...

there's an abandoned treehouse that looks like its been there years! not a ***** one, a proper good one, ash tray nailed to it, couple of little steps, hard wearing roof- although its shredded to bits now, we thought it was a monster at first glance haha!

It's single line all the way from Nunnery Junction through Victoria Station to Stocksbridge steel works.

Used once a day with a trip from Aldwarke Steelworks, Rotherham to Stocksbridge.

The full width of the trackbed should be concreted over in such a way that the single rail line could still be used for the daily steel train. (Just like a tram track on a road).

The trackbed roadway could also be used by SuperExpressBuses only.

Should be a tram train like they doing to Rotherham, tram and trains can both run on the same guage tracks so would allow the freight to run to the steel works but also tram-trains to run from Sheffield upto Penistone and Stocksbridge.

To much good sense being spoken here to have any effect.

The line should be all as stated but should also be the main intercity line to Manchester.