Anyone in to CB radio in 1980s?

I did a search for this thread tonight after finding an old CB Radio of mine in my dads cellar. Decided to set it up in the corner of the garage just to see if anyone was still using them and it seems its DEAD!

Shame as it was a good laugh.... Ill probably leave it set up as its not in the way and could come in handy if there is a Zombie Apocalypse.

I did a search for this thread tonight after finding an old CB Radio of mine in my dads cellar. Decided to set it up in the corner of the garage just to see if anyone was still using them and it seems its DEAD!

Shame as it was a good laugh.... Ill probably leave it set up as its not in the way and could come in handy if there is a Zombie Apocalypse.

I really wonder if anyone does still use CB today, worth listening in if its set up...I was Multi Storey in the 80s used to go DXing up to Burbage Moor through the night when I got the chance

I'd imagine if the airways are that quite you would get a good range these days with a decent arial and maybe have your own communication method for free.

1981 i was DeadRinger. Girlfriend at the time Lady Blusher from Loxley

I think it's more likely that the rig is faulty.

Electrolytic capacitors inside old equipment tend to either leak and/or go out of tolerance with age & disuse (same for old computers too)

A critically tuned device such as a CB can easily develop faults of this nature with the failure of just one capacitor.

Hi Kaz, I remember you very well, you drove a delivery van not sure what you delivered, was it flowers or car parts? My handle was Grubscrew and I lived just off Penistone road, I also remember 3 breakers you introduced me too, Crewcut/Pete, Mary Poppins/Margaret and Crazy Horse/Paul I think. I also remember you been married to the guy who owned the garage, I remember his name but don't want to mention it on here. Would love to catch up with you if you still come on here and yes it really was 35 years ago. ?

hi there ..only just seen this give me a shout would love to catch up:)

---------- Post added 11-01-2016 at 21:02 ----------

I really wonder if anyone does still use CB today, worth listening in if its set up...I was Multi Storey in the 80s used to go DXing up to Burbage Moor through the night when I got the chance

did you live at pitsmoor ?

Some handles from the mid - late '80s I remember were Flaming Star (Mark) from Dinnington, Superstar and Michael Knight (both Beighton) Midnight (Joan from Renishaw), Lombard, Teddy Bear, Black Rose, Bootlace, Little Blue and Hurricane.

'Midnight' - always on the lookout for a trucker passing Junction 30 used to play 'The power of Love' over and over. She must have worn the record out, because she then took to singing it...

There were good times with crazy wind-ups / putting on different voices and varying the power to pretend we were further away etc. Unfortunately there were always people looking to spoil things with real nasty language and threats. I'm talking about the old AM band but if anything, things were worse on the legal FM band where everyone was jammed into a small space like fish in a barrel.

AM was very quiet - you could scan through the channels without using squelch. FM had that constant hiss going on - and it was a crazy idea to introduce those 40 FM channels that didn't match the US/European bands.

CB was a nice idea, coming to an unsustainable peak before the collapse leaving a few distant roger bleeps scattered over deep radio space. There's still a couple of rigs somewhere - Cobra 148 and a Nato 2000. As david (above) says 'awaiting the Zombie apocalypse'.

ANSWERING aquery are there any cb ers still on .YES theres baby maker cop car dave. combat man. chrysler one. jb .john . white spirit. connor .and others. plus ssb am is now legal to use. dx ing is now quite popular. so get back on and say hello 10 10 till we do it again.

hi there ..only just seen this give me a shout would love to catch up:)

---------- Post added 11-01-2016 at 21:02 ----------

did you live at pitsmoor ?

Hiya Kaz tried to message you back but because I haven't posted at least 5 posts it won't let me, shoot me a message on [email protected] to make contact, Dave aka Grubscrew