Anyone in to CB radio in 1980s?

Does anyone remember Yorkshire Rose, always chatting the young lads up and used to let out in conversation that she had a 42 inch bust. She was always arranging eyeballs with them once they were foaming at the mouth. She once arranged to meet one unsuspecting lad outside the John O' Gaunt, so we jumped in the car to drive past so we could secretly eyeball her. It was true she had a 42 inch bust, but she also had a 46 inch waist and hips as well. Those poor lads must have been frightened to death !!!!!

Originally posted by davep

To me the idea of using these burners rather defeated the idea of CB and I always told anybody using them to go to Ham.

I preferred to go DXing with the mag mount on the car, usually early Sunday morning when it was quiet, up on the high ground near the Old Harrow on from Gleadless Townend. Its amazing how far you can get on 4 watts when its quiet, although someone would always "Breaker on the side" to me and try to speak to the other breakers, when he couldn't even hear them on his rig. He couldn't grasp the point that I was in an advantageous position on top of a hill, and he was in his bedroom (working on an indoor aerial). He thought that as he could hear me, for some reason the others, coming in from Lincolnshire eg would be able to hear him....Nutcase !!!

------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone remember the Eyeballs that used to come around quite frequently. The Earl Marshall on East Bank Road, the private suite at SUFC on Cherry St, and a great evening out on the canal boat out at Sprotborough.

Back then you needed the written exam AND the Morse test to go on HF, and even then some of the burners used would have been illegal on HF anyway!! :)

You're right about how far you can get on a few watts - I've gotten around the world on a couple of hundred milliwatts using Morse and a few watts using Single Sideband.

I kept a CB rig kicking around for ages, but was never a 'proper' CBer. Was occasionally useful for local comms, though!

Joe, G0RNC

Got an Amstrad rig from a place down Darnall when they first became legal ... chopped & changed a few rigs from someone who lived at the Manor Top. Used to park up outside the manor top library some sunday mornings & actually spoke to someone on the Isle O Wight for a couple of mins, before gettin stamped on. My handle was Buccaneer .. though only usually chatted with friends aroung Gleadless / Intake area. Knew Keith & Kev from Manor Top ..... Mick , who lived lower down Prince & Shaun from Swallownest whos handles I cant remember.

The rig in my car had had a mod done to it, so that it would access an extra channel at 27.59125Mhz ie channel 0. This was brilliant as even the AM/FM 120 channel rigs couldn't access this channel. When you threw the switch, the meter used to bottom as though it was broken, and we used it for private conversations as with so few rigs of any description being able to receive it, the nosey sods listening on the side would lose us when we said "take it to the usual". I once got from Gringley-on -the-Hill (near Gainsborough) to the home 20 on a mag mount.

Crikes you lot are bringing back some memories!

I was Flower Pot and my ex was Big Ben. Actually met him on over the airwaves when he offered to come a sort out my aerial. Our daughter was Little Weed.

Originally posted by davep

Were you one of the few when CB came on air legally back in 1981 ? Me and the wife both had sets, MEBO and AVON LADY were the handles. Anyone remember us ?

i seem to remember avon lady my handle was doubletop

sill go my antener up still got my radio but not coupled up

Originally posted by Marky Baby

I used CB when it was on 27MHz a.m. In those days the airwaves were self regulating and anyone who used bad language over the air was chastised by the other users.

My President Veep was nicked out of my car and I never replaced it but reported it to the police and had to sign a statement that I was an illegal CB user.

Oh the wonderful days of Mag Mounts, Standing Wave Level meters and dodging the authorities, Great Fun.

I remember my brother using CB at that time. His handle was Manfred. Maybe you remember him?

I remember AVON LADY, I used to be STRONGBOW. Too many idiots on CB so packed it in

Yeah, same reason we jacked it in.

When they first came out, CB's were expensive (£70 ish) so only proper people had them, but the market got flooded and prices crashed so every idiot could afford one. Blank keying, music playing etc were all rife. Still used my car one for a bit when we were out of Sheffield, out at Skeggy for instance it was still OK. Got a mobile phone instead as soon as they became halfway affordable - I've had one so long that it needed a number change (it used to start 0589) and was about 8 times as big as my present one !!!!

i had a mobile phone too when they were rather large..my number began 0421!

Originally posted by sunflower_gb

i had a mobile phone too when they were rather large..my number began 0421!

Shhhhhhhhhhh !!!! you giving your age away