Sheffield Blitz

These are photos of a map included in a Sheffield Star publication called Sheffield at War 1939-45. It's too fragile to scan.

SheffieldBombsNW.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SheffieldbombsNE.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SheffieldBombsSW.jpg

SheffieldBombsSE.jpg

BombsthatfellonSheffield.jpg

The black dots show the sites of high explosive bombs or landmines and not incendiaries.

One of the most well known sites was The Marples Hotel in Fitzalen Sqare, since rebuilt as a pub but now a motorcycle clothing shop.

DSCN5181.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I quote from Sheffield at War 1939-45. ' Sheffield had sixteen air raids with 631 killed and 1,817 injured. The first bomb fell on the night of August 18th 1940, the last on July 28th 1942 along with 130 alerts.

The Sheffield Blitz is thought of as the nights of 12th. 13th. and 15th. December 1940.

It is estimated that 300 aircraft participated, 450 high explosive, 6 parachute mines and many thousands of incendiary bombs were dropped.

Hello Midvixen. Look on the first map Bombs NW. near the junction of Stannington Rd. and Holme Lane. I dont know which one of the three just missed your Nan. Does anyone in your family have a photo of the event?

Did you know that Sheffield was also bombed by a Zeplin in WW1?

I'm sure the map is not conclusive as you can still see some old bomb craters on Wincobank Hill also the old swings just inside Woolly Woods was totally destroyed if you know where to look you can still see where it was.

My mother (Pamela Pyne) lived on Stockton Street there was six of them and they weren't evacuated even after the first raid. Derek Dooley lived a few streets away.

Did you know that Sheffield was also bombed by a Zeplin in WW1?

----------------------------------

If you look on the thread: World War 1 Volunteers Wanted, No.91, you will find a photo of the memorial to the casualties of the Zeppelin raid.

Hello Midvixen. Look on the first map Bombs NW. near the junction of Stannington Rd. and Holme Lane. I dont know which one of the three just missed your Nan. Does anyone in your family have a photo of the event?

Just looked on the map and it's the one on Stannington Road, the one on the right of that pair of dots.

Been on the phone to my Mum, but I don't think there are any photos in the family. Mum said it dropped just at the bottom of the gardens on the edge of the "mousehole" allotments, but I'm afraid that's all she knows. The older relatives have all passed away so other than having a seance, I can't help any more!!

Sorry

The SW map confirms a distant memory/rumour from my childhood in that a bomb did indeed drop on the wasteground we used to play on between Slayleigh Avenue and Slayleigh Lane (just north of the 'Fulwood' marker). It's another posh housing estate now :(

... Mum said it dropped just at the bottom of the gardens on the edge of the "mousehole" allotments...

It was actually a landmine (parachute mine) which landed in the mousehole area but failed to explode. The area was evacuated until the bomb disposal people had made it safe. Apparently, if it had exploded it would have destroyed the houses in the lower part of Stannington Road and much of Malin Bridge/Walkley Bank.

One or all 3 of those are probably the reason why none of our walls are straight.

The blitz was definately on the 12th. It was the night of my mums 18th birthday she was on the way back from the pictures when the siren went and spent the rest of the night in a shelter with complete strangers.

[quote

The Sheffield Blitz is the name given to the worst nights of bombing in Sheffield, England during the Second World War. It took place over the nights of 12 December and 15 December 1940. Over 660 lives were lost, 1500 more were injured and 40,000 were made homeless. 3,000 homes were demolished with a further 3,000 badly damaged. A total 78,000 homes received damage. Sheffield was targeted by the Luftwaffe due to its importance as a steel centre.

The Sheffiedl blitz was on Thursday the 10th. December and Sunday 13th. December 1940.

Cynthia. Canada.

In a house on Westbrook Bank, you can still see pencil writing and drawings on the cellar wall where a family took shelter. Another house in the area was hit on the same night.

I am starting out on a dissertation regarding the archaeology of second world war Sheffield and South Yorkshire. I would definately be interested in what your findings are on this subject.

With regards to writing on the cellar wall, that is gold dust from an archaeological point of view. Do you know any more about it?

Cheers