Wednesday 5 Manchester United 4 - 1968

Was the first match I came in contact with crowd trouble when the Man Unntd fans backed into the Wednesday fans in the middle of the kop and started fighting.

On 08/04/2010 at 08:54, darnall lass said:

there was serious trouble at this game especially at the leppings lane end,anybody remember and back me up on this?

I was standing at the south corner of Leppings Lane with my 11-year-old brother.

I don't recall seeing a lot of trouble, to be honest. My brother never did become a Wednesday fan although I took him to several matches. But even he( a Man, U, season ticket holder) admits it was the best game he has ever seen. If ever a match should have been televised for future generations, this was it, such a shame. My brother has never lived in Manchester by the way. LOL

Edited by Ontarian1981

22 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

I was standing at the south corner of Leppings Lane with my 11-year-old brother.

I don't recall seeing a lot of trouble, to be honest. My brother never did become a Wednesday fan although I took him to several matches. But even he( a Man, U, season ticket holder) admits it was the best game he has ever seen. If ever a match should have been televised for future generations, this was it, such a shame. My brother has never lived in Manchester by the way. LOL

The Owls game was probably not televised because Yorkshire Television was concentrating on their beloved ones from that place that is near Bradford, can't speak for the BBC  tho'.

4 hours ago, St Petre said:

The Owls game was probably not televised because Yorkshire Television was concentrating on their beloved ones from that place that is near Bradford, can't speak for the BBC  tho'.

I can't remember what the two televised matches were that weekend, but that's all we got in those days BBC  Match Of The Day on Saturday night, and World Of Soccer  ITV on Sunday afternoons. That was it, I knew it wouldn't be on either because there weren't any cameras there that day, the camera platform was empty.

Are you sure Yorkshire Television was actually born then, we could have still been in Granada land, which adds more mystery to the lack of TV. 

Edited by Ontarian1981

I was at  this game and 2 months later we were transported to Australia. Great game great day.

On 09/04/2019 at 00:23, Ontarian1981 said:

Pretty sure it was Spurs v Chelsea on MOTD finished 2-2,YTV had Leeds on sunday afternoon,who else,they beat Liverpool 1-0,the great irony about your comment was my Dad said to me on the way out of the ground "TV cameras missed a treat today kid didnt they"

For the record,utd lost at Bolton the same day,2-4,dont have the scorers,and only Crewe scored more goals that day beating Bristol Rv 6-1 at home in Div 3

Edited by staninoodle

Who scored for Man United that day and did Willie Morgan play ?

14 hours ago, St Petre said:

Who scored for Man United that day and did Willie Morgan play ?

yes he played,scoreres were Witham 2,45,72,Ritchie 15,Stiles og 47

Best 10,Law 12,26,Charlton 36

3 hours ago, staninoodle said:

yes he played,scoreres were Witham 2,45,72,Ritchie 15,Stiles og 47

Best 10,Law 12,26,Charlton 36

Jack Whitham scored four that day. Yes, Stiles had the last touch but no way would it be an own goal these days.

24 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Jack Whitham scored four that day. Yes, Stiles had the last touch but no way would it be an own goal these days.

Agreed, I have always considered that goal to have been Whitham's. Even the newspapers all varied on the scoring honours for that goal.I think the Green 'Un gave it to Jack but most of the Sunday's called it a Stiles og.

Edited by Ontarian1981

54 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Spot on,everyone leaving the ground agreed Jack scored 4,I can still visualise it wrong footing Stepney LOL

The teams that day were;

Sheffield Wednesday: P. Springett, G. Young, D.H. Megson, (captain), S. Ellis, V.J. Mobley, P. Eustace, J. Whitham, J. McCalliog, J.H Ritchie, D. Ford, J. Fantham. Unused Sub: A Warboys.

Manchester United: A.C. Stepney, S.A Brennan, A.P. Dunne, (F. Burns 3 mins), J. Fitzpatrick, D. Sadler, N.P. Stiles, W. Morgan, B. Kidd, R. Charlton, D. Law, G. Best.

Edited by staninoodle

Hard to believe Wednesday were relegated the following season and were playing Manchester United in Division Two not that long after.