Wednesday 5 Manchester United 4 - 1968

I was there on the kop and like Pappadave sez the ManU fans were throwing pennies edge on from the back of the kop down on the Wednesdayites down at the front. Best Law and Charlton, fantstic. Don`t remember who scored wot but Best scored a beaut.

I was there on the kop

I was in the tree at the top of the Kop. As a Blades fan I was rooting for Man U but just remember it being a fantastic game, and every time Besty got the ball there was a hush of anticipation!!

I was in the tree at the top of the Kop. As a Blades fan I was rooting for Man U but just remember it being a fantastic game, and every time Besty got the ball there was a hush of anticipation!!

As a sheffielder you was rooting for Salford don,t believe it.

P.S i was there and remember the song, Ritchie, Ritchie, Ritchie the bush kangaroo.

Rest in Piece John you were a star.

51,931 spectators packed into Hillsborough 31 August 1968 for the 5-4 win over Manchester United. The scorers were Ritchie, Whitham 3 and a Stiles' og, is the official line. Stiles headed the ball into his net but because Whitham was standing next too him, a few fans wanted to 'bend it'!

The last I heard of Jack was years ago when he was landlord of "The Wadsley Jack".

Scout at United Academy before Pemberton

I was attending a party in a house on Knowle Lane, when Jack and Josie who were also attending singularly, became a unit. :thumbsup:

Edited by crookesey

I remember the match, fantastic atmosphere. I always liked Jack Whitham great player.

Don't remember any trouble

I was a youngster,but remember this game very well,Don megson had a goal chalked off,noboddy knew what the offence was as it looked a good goal,and late on,bobby charlton almost equalised,but it came thundering back off a post.

En route to the game wed had to park well away from the ground,my dad owned niagra petrol station,normally parking wasnt a problem for us!As we got to wadsley bridge train station,the first of 2 massive football specials had pulled in and united fans were coming off the train,one idiot threw a brick from the top of the bridge,and hit a young lad,walking like me with his dad,blood everywhere and the lad fell to the floor,for a few tense minutes all hell broke loose,there were coppers and fighting everywhere,my old fella ushered me on,as i was stood "gawping"there was a headline in the star about it,and it was mentioned in our school assembley by our headmaster,so obviously it was big news.

After the game,there was quite a lot of bother around the station,and a very tense atmosphere.

The home game after this,2 weeks later was against newley promoted wolves,who brought a fair following,and again trouble flaired up at wadsley bridge station.

the match ended 2-2,Mobley and Ritchie,with wolves goals both comming from players that ironically had birthdays that day,think one was peter knowles,the other was definately alun evans,who scored the equaliser with the last kick of the game in injury time!

Edited by staninoodle

the match in 1974 wasn't bad either 4-4 draw

the match in 1974 wasn't bad either 4-4 draw

Yes we stuffed them in the first half, pity about the second.

This match was the best I ever saw. If it had ended 0-0 it would still live in the memory.

Speaking of Jack Whitham, I remember his debut against his home town club Burnley. He came on as a half time sub and scored two good goals. Wednesday were awarded a penalty for 8-0 and it should have gone to Jack but McCalliog snatched the ball and missed the pen. It ended 7-0. When he went to Liverpool for 60k Shanks stuck him straight into the reserves. This was the custom at Anfield no matter who you were. Jack started scoring shedloads for the reserves and the story goes that he went to see Shankley to point this out and to ask him for his chance in the first team. Shanks just said "Keep trying son, keep trying!"

This match was the best I ever saw. If it had ended 0-0 it would still live in the memory.

Speaking of Jack Whitham, I remember his debut against his home town club Burnley. He came on as a half time sub and scored two good goals. Wednesday were awarded a penalty for 8-0 and it should have gone to Jack but McCalliog snatched the ball and missed the pen. It ended 7-0. When he went to Liverpool for 60k Shanks stuck him straight into the reserves. This was the custom at Anfield no matter who you were. Jack started scoring shedloads for the reserves and the story goes that he went to see Shankley to point this out and to ask him for his chance in the first team. Shanks just said "Keep trying son, keep trying!"

Some of the older owls reckon that game was only rivalled at s6 by an england v scotland game from wayback that finished 5-4 as well.

I was at the burnley game,think it was the penultimate match of 67,Ford scored (3) and Jack was the scoring sub (2).

I remember Jack scoring against Arsenal in 69,he dove to head home a low ball,i think peter storey was the clearing defender,missed the ball and nearly blinded Jack,kicked him stright in the eye and he was out for quite a while after.

i remember it well it was my wedding day i wanted to go to the match after vows at the registry but the new wife said no we had a reseption at the bull & mouth in hay market and that night a lot mu fans turned up i invited them up to the do we had a good natter thay said it was a bri game pity me