Wednesday 5 Manchester United 4 - 1968

2 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Hard to believe Wednesday were relegated the following season and were playing Manchester United in Division Two not that long after.

And that last match of the following season that sealed their fate, kept me away from Hillsborough for years. Horrible night.

Four days after this memorable game,Wednesday went to fourth division Exeter for a league cup tie and lost 1-3,losing John Ritchie to injury that night to boot,hed miss 12 games in total.

This was Jack Marshalls one and only season in charge after Allan Brown left to go back to Sunderland,Marshall had taken temporary charge the previous season.

His first controversial decision was to change the formation from 433 to a 424,but the squad lacked wingers,and the board didnt back him in the transfer market,he tried to bring Barry Lyons in from Notts For,but the player declined the move.Despite the setbacks Marshall continued with his philosophy and the side stayed in the top 10 right through to march of 69,when he was told he wouldnt be manager the following season,so he left,and Ron Staniforth took charge while Marshalls successor was appointed.

During that season,Marshalls controversial tactics proved deeply unpopular among the squad,with senior players submitting transfer requests,McCalliog and Mobley both asked to move and Eustace, Ritchie and Fantham were all deeply unsettled.

Staniforth failed to register a single victory and the side slipped 5 places,on March the 5th,Arsenal spanked a lacklustre Wednesday 0-5,with Radford 3,and Bobby Gould the scorers.

There was one other noteable game that season,an Fa cup 3rd round replay at elland road,with Leeds the overwhelming favorites following a 1-1 draw (Ritchie) young Brian Woodall wrote his own page in Owls folklore by scoring two well taken goals,Wednesday were helped by an injury crisis at Leeds,Mick Jones was replaced by Albert Johansen and Bremner,carrying an injury limped off early doors,but Leeds scored and early goal,ironically from Johansen after 8 minutes,but from then on it was the Owls who took control in a pulsating game that matched the Man Utd match in august.

It was a season that saw us touch the highs and lows in equal measure,but it was memorable,if only for it being the last season wed feature in the top half of 1st division for close on 20 years!

Edited by staninoodle

42 minutes ago, staninoodle said:

Heres a little treat for everybody who has memories of this memorable game,I found these quite by accident 

Enjoy https://owlsonline.com/?page=forum&thread_id=37252&selpage=15&&limit=15&obf=post_number&obad=ASC

Page two

Great pic s there. I found myself trying to zoom in to the corner between Leppings Lane and the open air seats to try and  see me and my young brother. Lol.

54 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Great pic s there. I found myself trying to zoom in to the corner between Leppings Lane and the open air seats to try and  see me and my young brother. Lol.

Indeed,brilliant to see as pics of the game are rare

On 17/04/2019 at 17:38, staninoodle said:

Spot on,everyone leaving the ground agreed Jack scored 4,I can still visualise it wrong footing Stepney LOL

The teams that day were;

Sheffield Wednesday: P. Springett, G. Young, D.H. Megson, (captain), S. Ellis, V.J. Mobley, P. Eustace, J. Whitham, J. McCalliog, J.H Ritchie, D. Ford, J. Fantham. Unused Sub: A Warboys.

Manchester United: A.C. Stepney, S.A Brennan, A.P. Dunne, (F. Burns 3 mins), J. Fitzpatrick, D. Sadler, N.P. Stiles, W. Morgan, B. Kidd, R. Charlton, D. Law, G. Best.

My mum knew Vic Mobley and I remember being with her and bumping into him down the Moor I think he'd been for a suit. Players used to mix with the fans more in the 60s and 70s. 

10 hours ago, hobinfoot said:

My mum knew Vic Mobley and I remember being with her and bumping into him down the Moor I think he'd been for a suit. Players used to mix with the fans more in the 60s and 70s. 

Im friends with David Mobley,Vics brother who played in our reserve side for many years,he flew over to see him about a month ago,Vics retired now and lives in New Zealand,he moved out there not long after retiring from football,looks well,lost a bit of hair of course and whats left is grey these days,but looks healthy& fit for his age.