Wednesday 5 Manchester United 4 - 1968

Following on from the news of John Ritchie's death was the game between Wednesday and Manchester United in 1968 match played at Hillsborough.

The ground was packed to the rafters. Manchester United were European Cup holders. Their side was full of players who were or who became legends. It was a bright autumnal day. And Jack Whitham scored four of the five Wednesday goals. I doubt if anyone who was there will forget that day.

By the way, where is Jack nowadays?

51,931 spectators packed into Hillsborough 31 August 1968 for the 5-4 win over Manchester United. The scorers were Ritchie, Whitham 3 and a Stiles' og, is the official line. Stiles headed the ball into his net but because Whitham was standing next too him, a few fans wanted to 'bend it'!

The last I heard of Jack was years ago when he was landlord of "The Wadsley Jack".

Jack left the Wadsley Jack and became manager of the Police Club at Niagara for a few years, finally leaving in June last year. I'm not sure where he is now, but quite often see him at a couple of folk clubs when he turns up with his guitar.

jack also managed us in the late 80,s[hallam f.c,and the game your talking about i was there [i was only 5]but the game sticks in my mind because there was a lot of trouble at this game as i was sat in the stands at the leppings lane end,frightened to death!

By the way, where is Jack nowadays?
Jack and Josephine Whitham still live in Wadsley..:)

jack also managed us in the late 80,s[hallam f.c,and the game your talking about i was there [i was only 5]but the game sticks in my mind because there was a lot of trouble at this game as i was sat in the stands at the leppings lane end,frightened to death!

I remember the game well....because I didn't go!!

It would have been my first wednesday match...apart from going to reserves with my Dad...but Dad wouldn't let me go...because of the potential trouble..and I was too young....what a game to miss!!

It took me a few weeks to forgive him!!

the game sticks in my mind because there was a lot of trouble at this game as i was sat in the stands at the leppings lane end,frightened to death!

I remember this game well, no crowd segregation, the kop was packed with blues and reds. There was definitely, absolutely no trouble at this game. Great attitude from both sets of fans after witnessing one of the most sensational games ever played at Hillsborough.

There is another thread on this match where many fans mention the great atmosphere.

Andy

It's All Too Beautiful

there was serious trouble at this game especially at the leppings lane end,anybody remember and back me up on this?

I remember this game well, no crowd segregation, the kop was packed with blues and reds. There was definitely, absolutely no trouble at this game. Great attitude from both sets of fans after witnessing one of the most sensational games ever played at Hillsborough.

There is another thread on this match where many fans mention the great atmosphere.

Andy

It's All Too Beautiful

I was on the kop. The man u fans were throwing pennies from the back of the kop at the wednesday fans below.Get one of those on the back of your head and you knew about it, or is'nt this classed as trouble?

My Dad said he had to decorate the stairs and I sat and watched the rugby league with the face on, but in later years he told me it was because of the potential for crowd trouble. I recall there were 50+ arrests but in a crowd of 54,000 wasn't too bad in those days. The next game was against Leeds Utd 51,000, he took me to that one on the kop where all the bus conductors and drivers stood near the corrugated thing, and there was fighting throughout the whole game.

I was a kop regular back then - all of age 13! I remember the Man U game well, as the kop was so packed I could take both feet off the floor and not fall down. At the end of the game the crush to leave was so great that a lad got his arm through the railings going down the stairs and the force of the crowd pushing forwards caused it to break. We were so fired up after the win that we didn't bat an eyelid, but looking back it was all pretty hairy.

I remember in '58 I think it was when West Ham came to Owlerton and were top of the 1st Division but Wednesday beat them 7-3 and we had a W.H supporter staying for the weakend who said Wednesday were the best team he'd seen for a while. Those were the days when people all over the world knew where Sheffield was, now it's just a backwater.