The 'Branching Out' Knitalong Thread

Hi, this might sound silly but I don't know what branching out and knitting along are. :rolleyes:

Can someone explain it to me, please?

Thanks. :)

Hi, this might sound silly but I don't know what branching out and knitting along are. :rolleyes:

Can someone explain it to me, please?

Thanks. :)

'Branching Out' is the name of the pattern. There's a link to it in the first post in this thread.

A knitalong is where a group of people decide to work on the same pattern at the same time, share their experiences in knitting it, help each other through any difficulties and post links to photos of their progress :) .

The tentative start date for the knitalong is next Monday (March 5th), which gives those who want to take part time to choose and buy their yarn.

The last knitalong we did was the Clapotis shawl a few months ago. I'll search for the thread and post a link to give you an idea of how it goes.

EDIT: Here's the link to the Clapotis knitalong we did back in August.

Hello Bami, Branching Out is the name of the pattern and knit along is when we do the said pattern all together, ie, I'm doing it, you do it, and uncle tom cobly does it :hihi:

Oh thanks Hecate and Wheezy! It's much clearer now. Hehe, I thought branching out was a kind of activity :P

Great to be 'update' now.

Oh thanks Hecate and Wheezy! It's much clearer now. Hehe, I thought branching out was a kind of activity :P

Great to be 'update' now.

You're welcome :) .

Are you going to join in then, eh? ;)

Yes please, sounds nice, the knitalong with Branching Out :D .

Although I'm not a really experienced knitter I'd like to give it a go/try. At least I will learn to knit lace.

Yes please, sounds nice, the knitalong with Branching Out :D .

Although I'm not a really experienced knitter I'd like to give it a go/try. At least I will learn to knit lace.

Excellent :clap: .

The designer describes the Branching Out pattern as a good introduction to newcomers to lace knitting, so I don't think you'll have a problem getting in to it. If you do have any trouble, just post on here and we should be able to sort it out.

Let us know what yarn you're going to use :) .

Excellent :clap: .

<...>Let us know what yarn you're going to use :) .

I will, as soon as I've bought some, probably, this weekend. I think it makes a great present.

Meanwhile I'll learn the abbreviations and knit the pattern - I've never used a charted pattern before.

I will, as soon as I've bought some, probably, this weekend. I think it makes a great present.

Meanwhile I'll learn the abbreviations and knit the pattern - I've never used a charted pattern before.

What helped me was to use a different coloured pencil for each symbol of the chart and colour in each box on the chart accordingly. It makes the chart much easier to read; you just have to glance at the colours instead of having to squint up your eyes to make out the symbols.

I was really worried about charted patterns - then I used one. Boy do they make life simpler (once you remember the symbols its a quick glance at the chart rather than reading a whole line of abbreviations)....dont know why I was worried now;)

I was really worried about charted patterns - then I used one. Boy do they make life simpler (once you remember the symbols its a quick glance at the chart rather than reading a whole line of abbreviations)....dont know why I was worried now;)

I prefer charts too. There can sometimes be a problem with printed internet patterns - especially where the chart is a separate image that's been pasted into the file - with the symbols being a bit fuzzy, and so are difficult to distinguish similar ones. That's where the colouring in helps.