Sheffield in the 70's, What memories!

I would take my girl-friend to a WM Club, have a few drinks, buy a couple of tote tickets and spend less than £2.

It wasn''t that I was mean; we went for the entertainment and always rounded off the evening with supper at the Golden Dragon or similar.

The Dragon was the best Chinky in town and there was usually a floor show on twice a night.

the things i remember from the seventies include:

Chelsea Girl on Fargate

The never ending summer of 1976

Saturday job on fruit stall in Sheaf Market for £2.40 for 8 hours work

Wimpys

Bailys nightclub, getting in when I was only 16

The Fab Crazy Daisy and watching all the 'freaks' as we called them, that was the Bryan Ferry, Roxy Music and Bowie fanatics

Scamps nightclub at back of Moore

Those were the days

I remember my raleigh chopper bike, not everybodys taste in bikes but a true 70s icon :thumbsup:

I wasnt big enough for a chopper, I had the smaller version, Tomahawk

I wasnt big enough for a chopper, I had the smaller version, Tomahawk

Thought the smaller version of the Chopper was the Chipper? Tomahawks were a totally different design IIRC.

The Seventies:

Arundel Pass car crash pile-up (c. 1974).

Millhouses Lido (around 1975/6).

Use Water Sparingly signs in the boys' loos at Nethergreen First School (1976).

Silver Jubilee (painted) bus on either the 88 or 60 route, outside NG Middle School (1977).

Oil baffles placed across the rivers in Endcliffe Park after the Amoco Cadiz ship broke up in the Atlantic Ocean (1978).

The Moor being closed to traffic but not pedestrianised straight away (large plant and flowers tubs placed on the road with the road markings still visible) (c. 1978).

Eating loads of (free) Kentucky Fried Chicken at Firth Park branch in 1979 whilst watching Minder (friends of our neighbours ran the shop).

Heavy snowfall and walking to school (1977/78).

Goodwin Fountain.

The Hole In The Road.

Building of Hallamshire Hospital.

Playing with toy cars in Ranmoor and visiting Toy Fayre toyshop in Ranmoor.

Walking to Hollow Meadows summer 1977 and my eldest brother literally chucking me over the river to climb back up to Lodge Moor (I was 8).

Blue and white, reliable and cheap buses.

Swimming lessons at Glossop Road baths (1978/9)

Swimming on Sundays at Heeley baths (1979).

plus many, many more.

**For some reason a smile is printed instead of the number eight**

wot about the johnny 7 gun better than anything bond had:hihi:

I think you'll find it was the Beauchief Hotel. The beer garden is very close to the railway.

Yeah it was the Beauchief, I asked my dad, good memories, in the Lido then a few drinks at the pub while sitting in the sun great stuff.

I remember the Queen's Silver Jubilee street party that we organised in 1977. Had a big meeting, everyone on the street contributed to the party, then on the day we cordoned off the ends of the street with dustbins. We woke everyone up on the morning by nailing up the red, white and blue bunting we had made to the upstairs window ledges. We set up the trestle tables that we had borrowed from a local firm and everyone brought out the goodies that they had made. All the kids got a jubilee mug that we had bought for them. It was a day to remember - half the kids had got measles, so we sat all the measly kids down one end of the street and all the non-measly kids up the other end. It didn't make much difference as they all ended up together anyway !! Towards the end of the party the police came and arrested the Pakistani man who lived across the road, as it turned out he was growing cannabis plants (or some other illegal substances) in his bedroom! The party came to an end when it started to rain and the road turned in to a sea of red and blue as the dye ran out of the crepe paper bunting . Bloody fantastic !!

Whitsuntide walk to the local park with the sunday school.

Scouts fairs

Those yellow waste bins at the side of the road

Forge Dam Cafe with that little ride

Carnivals with majorettes

Rex Cinema

A green bus going to Clowne!

Playgrounds with those rocking horses (don't have 'em any more!)

Bazooka Joe bubble gum

Walking through Rivelin and seeing orange clay in the rivers

T-shirts with cartoon and disney characters on them

Boiling hot endless summers!

Could go on and on!

i use to go Rex Cinema evry saturday afternoon where they wud show kdz films (always in b & w) and your ticket had a number on it and if that number came on screen during the interval u won a prize...i won a family ticket to c The sound of music..my family realy lvd me that day..lol

can anyone rember the coca cola T.shirt..the one that with all the writing on it...it started with the .....LIPSMACKINGTHIRSTQUENCHING...cant remember the rest of it

I remember the Ford Capri from those days - I couldn't afford one though and ended up with a Morris 1100 as my first car. I had to have the 8 track stereo and furry dice in it though - sad! I even used to drive in my high platform boots. I loved the 70s! :love:

Ooh my older brother had a metallic blue ford capri! Got a photo of him somewhere acting very cool, leaning on the the side of it wearing some very dodgy flares! I suppose he did look pretty good at the time though!

who remembers the lime green haringtons and loffer shoes not 2 forget the blue beat hat those wer the days