Schoolgirl loses veil legal case

Back than a few years ago the muslim elders did not ask their children to wear the burka or the veil contrary to everyones belief - snippety - thats is why more people are choosing to wear the burka.

I think you actually just mean females?

Although I understand it's merely a cultural requirement of a certain groups of Muslims rather than religious requirement, I don't have a problem with the hijab ... but with both that and the niqab/veil the thing I object to is the inequality it demonstrates.

It also irritates me that they're constantly fiddling with their headgear, adjusting it, tucking it in, pulling it forward or back. If they're wearing the long scarf effect, throwing it over their shoulders, pulling it back, throwing it back over the shoulder. It's as annoying as those nervous women who are always fiddling about with their hair.

Gosh, I've really become Victoria Meldrew in the last few years ... :help:

I think you actually just mean females?

Although I understand it's merely a cultural requirement of a certain groups of Muslims rather than religious requirement, I don't have a problem with the hijab ... but with both that and the niqab/veil the thing I object to is the inequality it demonstrates.

It also irritates me that they're constantly fiddling with their headgear, adjusting it, tucking it in, pulling it forward or back. If they're wearing the long scarf effect, throwing it over their shoulders, pulling it back, throwing it back over the shoulder. It's as annoying as those nervous women who are always fiddling about with their hair.

Gosh, I've really become Victoria Meldrew in the last few years ... :help:

So you don't like the burka because people fiddle with it, this post is getting worse. Big wow if they fiddle it if you don't like it then don;t look. Your justification for not likeing the burka is getting worse, clearly you don;t understand why people choose to wear it.

So you don't like the burka because people fiddle with it
I think ruby was being a little tongue in cheek here.

So you don't like the burka because people fiddle with it, this post is getting worse. Big wow if they fiddle it if you don't like it then don;t look. Your justification for not likeing the burka is getting worse, clearly you don;t understand why people choose to wear it.

Don't be ridiculous, Rubydazzler stated in her post it is the representation of inequality she objects to, and if you'd paid any attention to Ruby's other postings about this subject you would realise her opinion is informed and in perspective, even if you disagree with it.

Oh, and I've noticed that in any discussion about Islam the moment a Blind Spot does the 'Islam means peace' line, there's little point in debating because it's descended into idealised nonsense and religious propaganda.

Islam does not mean peace. It means submission, and for females that means being subjugated to the males in their family. That is the heirarchy the religion is based on. Please don't try to portray it as any different, or imply that people are 'ignorant' or 'uneducated' for stating what they have been expressly taught and told, not by extremists but by so-called moderates.

If people want to wear one of these things then let 'em. Personally I don't give a toss - If they want to wear a head scarf. Cool. If they want to wear a full veil. Groovy. If they want to wear a Big Bird outfit. whoopdy do.

In my own opinion I feel that people who wear this garb are just bowing down to cultural pressure to fit in and as such give up their own individuality to join the collective - But if it doesn't hurt anyone then let 'em get on with it.

This said, a God that is so insecure that it requires its followers to bow down in reverance 5 times a day and for it's women to wear a sheet can't be worth following.

Don't be ridiculous, Rubydazzler stated in her post it is the representation of inequality she objects to, and if you'd paid any attention to Ruby's other postings about this subject you would realise her opinion is informed and in perspective, even if you disagree with it.

Oh, and I've noticed that in any discussion about Islam the moment a Blind Spot does the 'Islam means peace' line, there's little point in debating because it's descended into idealised nonsense and religious propaganda.

Islam does not mean peace. It means submission, and for females that means being subjugated to the males in their family. That is the heirarchy the religion is based on. Please don't try to portray it as any different, or imply that people are 'ignorant' or 'uneducated' for stating what they have been expressly taught and told, not by extremists but by so-called moderates.

I am a prcaticing muclim so why should Itry to portray it as something different. First of all I have never been subjugated bg any of the males in my family as a matter of fact the males in family (dad, uncles, vros etc) have treated me equally and have taught me how to respect myself and others. My dad always taight me to try and understand people from various cuktures and wasy of life beofre being judgemental, I find it frustrating as a muslim when people like yourself act asthough we are trying to portray Islam as something else. I am trying to portray it in its true form and how many muslims are extremsits a minority. You should go along to the new mosque in Sheffeild, Wolsley road mosque, they have a library and the mosque has so many open activitites for woemn, wnoy one is open to go including non muslims. When I wanted a better understanding of Christianity I walked into my local church and the popel were so friendly and gave me so much help, it does not hurt sometines to step out of your comfort zone and really try to uderstand a relgiong or culture in its true form, rather than jumping on the bandwagon stating that muslims are extremists.

If people want to wear one of these things then let 'em. Personally I don't give a toss - If they want to wear a head scarf. Cool. If they want to wear a full veil. Groovy. If they want to wear a Big Bird outfit. whoopdy do.

In my own opinion I feel that people who wear this garb are just bowing down to cultural pressure to fit in and as such give up their own individuality to join the collective - But if it doesn't hurt anyone then let 'em get on with it.

This said, a God that is so insecure that it requires its followers to bow down in reverance 5 times a day and for it's women to wear a sheet can't be worth following.

How can you call our god insecure, people pary five times a day to keep them foicused on the important things in life, and its not like it takes long some prays take 5 mins other longer, it helps you stay spiritaul. Also the women don't where a sheet, really you need to get your terms straight.

I never mentioned the burqa ... that's the all in one piece cloth with the mesh eyehole we saw a lot of in Afghanistan, isn't it? I've never seem anyone irl wearing one of those. I was referring to the hijab being fiddled with. I don't have to have a justification really, anymore that you have to have one for not wanting to wear anything you don't care for.

Have a little sympathy for me, a lot is made of how much respect there is for women and old people. You have to realise that old women get tetchy about small things. When I'm talking to someone who's constantly fiddling with their clothing, I find it distracting and it's hard enough to remember what I was talking about in the first place :help:

It also makes me think that they aren't very comfortable to wear. I've tried it myself and I had to take it off after an hour or so, it's worse than wearing a tie!

Well I personally do not choose to wear one, I can understand why women may not wnat to wear one, but I understand what the hijab/veil etc etc truely symbolises and it is not meant to be a symbolysm of opression, thats why I feel so strongly about making my point. Maybe if people began to understand just a little bit from the muslim womens perspective they would not be so aginast women wearing the hijab!!!!!!!!!

Well I personally do not choose to wear one, I can understand why women may not wnat to wear one, but I understand what the hijab/veil etc etc truely symbolises and it is not meant to be a symbolysm of opression, thats why I feel so strongly about making my point. Maybe if people began to understand just a little bit from the muslim womens perspective they would not be so aginast women wearing the hijab!!!!!!!!!

Are we all getting a bit confused with the different terms ... this thread is about the veil, the niqab, not the headscarf, the hijab.

The same could be said of pretty much anyone following any religion.

Or indeed of business people wearing suits and the people out in town tonight wearing trendy designers labels.

We all follow cultural pressure to some extent, our culture defines who we are and we define our culture.

How can you call our god insecure, people pary five times a day to keep them foicused on the important things in life, and its not like it takes long some prays take 5 mins other longer, it helps you stay spiritaul. Also the women don't where a sheet, really you need to get your terms straight.

Quiet happily. A God which requires persistent, structured and regular prayer at particular times of the day sounds like a deity founded on a slightly dodgy premise. Surely a being which is worthy of worship wouldn't mind when or where it is worshipped or the state of cleanliness the worshipper is in , but supposedly Allah does. Gotta do it 5 times a day, Gotta face East, Gotta be clean.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not solely having a pop at Islam. All religion is hokum - It's just a crutch for people to lean on while they try to get through life. It just annoys me how much credence people put in medieval superstition and how much they try and foist it on the remaining intelligent human gene pool.