Sign in to follow this  

Relations that served in WW2...

...been searching for any information on both my grandads who where both in the RAF for a few years now and was wondering if anyone on here served or has a relative that served at the same time and obviously from Sheffield or South Yorkshire.

My mothers Dad - Walter Robinson from Darnall (Woodbourne Road) sadly died in 1985 (I was 6) so I never got the chance to speak to him about anything war related. He was on Gold beach on D-Day and all I know from then made it through occupied france into Germany and finally onto the liberation of the Concentration camp at Bergen-Belson near the end of the war.

My Dads Dad - Charles Betts from the Arbourthorne again sadly died three years ago, he was in the RAF serving as a navigator/operator on the bombers and was stationed in Eygpt, Africa and Israel for quite a few years before returning back to Sheffield.

My Dad has got picture books and clippings from his service but still not that much.

I know it's a long shot but I'm sure there must be someone who wants to know a bit more of what their relatives did and sacrificed in the war and if they where in the RAF and from Sheff there's a small chance they knew one of my two Grandads, maybe.

Anyway Cheers.

i am most interested in our relatives who served in the war. i have got to know that my grandad charles walker (fathers dad) was awarded a BEM for work on the matilda tanks, which i am still researching about. i have also got to know through my own research that my great great great grandad recieved an indian mutiny medal in 1869. his name was george wheywell. isnt that fantastic. if anyone has any information of the matilda tanks or the indian mutiny medal, i would love to hear from you. sorry i can't help you jingles in your own search of the RAF forces.

GOOD LUCK IN YOUR SEARCH.