Believe in the Noah's Ark story?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Believe in the Noah's Ark story?

• I believe it - its in the bible
    • No, its a truly ludicrous insult to intelligence
    • I like the idea of giraffes sticking heads from windows

Quote:

Originally Posted by BasilRathbon

Course I believe in Noah's Ark - It's one of the best pubs in Crookes!

They found one in Frecheville too.

But which of them is the real one with the giraffes and macaques and lions and bumblebees and stuff?

certainly do believe in the noahs ark pub!

the one at intake is the bestest one... and is definately the one the animals... and thats just the bar staff... with the exception of one cause she is ACE!! :D

First of all whilst on there most likely was a character called Jesus who got himself in crucified it has never been proven that there was, all the supposedly contemporary texts referring to Jesus has been shown to be forgeries.

Anyway so what if he did exist? There have been many people throughout history who most certainly existed who've claimed to be gods and prophets there existence alone only proves that there once lived somebody who made big claims that some people believed.

.....?

as someone said above its most likely based on a true event that got exaggerated along the way-i dont see anything wrong with showing a child religion and over the years giving him access to other religions so he can decide what he thinks. I think there are many similiarities in the diff religions but the basis for all seems to be "be nice to eachother and treat one another fairly" etc...

I dont think you need to be so cruel in your statements-who says you are right?

And yes Jesus was proven to exist, hes in a variety of history books that arent even about religion or him and hes just mentioned in passing. so as i said b4, he existed-whether the son of God or not

If he took two of everything he must have taken a couple of Dinosaures too :huh:

as someone said above its most likely based on a true event that got exaggerated along the way-i dont see anything wrong with showing a child religion and over the years giving him access to other religions so he can decide what he thinks.

And of course you will give them equal access to all religions and world views that don't have a supernatural component and in no way try to pressure them to adopt your own :rolleyes:

I think there are many similiarities in the diff religions but the basis for all seems to be "be nice to eachother and treat one another fairly" etc...

Have you ever actually read the bible? I suggest you do so starting at Genesis and if you can hack it right the way through to Revelations and then try telling me with a straight face that the basis of Christianity is "be nice to eachother and treat one another fairly".

Failing that just take a cursory look at the history of religion, any one will do,

I dont think you need to be so cruel in your statements-who says you are right?

And yes Jesus was proven to exist, hes in a variety of history books that arent even about religion or him and hes just mentioned in passing. so as i said b4, he existed-whether the son of God or not

Which historical texts are these?

If he took two of everything he must have taken a couple of Dinosaures too :huh:

Actually he may have had to take more than just a pair atleast of the 'clean' animals:

Genesis 7:2-3 Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female. Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female; to keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth.

So if elephants, tyrannosaurus rexs and so forth were 'clean' Noah would have had to cram 14 of each species on the ark.

Of course the bible does contradict this 'take thee by sevens' stuff in Genesis 6:19 and 7:8, 9 & 15, but hey who said the 'word of god' had to be internally consistent? I mean just because he's apparently an all powerful all knowing super being that doesn't mean we should expect god not to flatly contradict himself every few sentences.

And of course you will give them equal access to all religions and world views that don't have a supernatural component and in no way try to pressure them to adopt your own :rolleyes:

Have you ever actually read the bible? I suggest you do so starting at Genesis and if you can hack it right the way through to Revelations and then try telling me with a straight face that the basis of Christianity is "be nice to eachother and treat one another fairly".

Failing that just take a cursory look at the history of religion, any one will do,

Which historical texts are these?

Jesus Christ taught love and forgiveness.

errrr why do you share 93% of ape DNA and have a tail stump then?

taking it further back, why to you have 3 sets of non-code active DNA for haemoglobin - two of which are exactly the same as 99% of other land mammals?

etc

What other building blocks are there?

Flood myths are common across the world - we have our own about Atlantis/Lyonesse. And we did have lost lands too, taken by the sea. Cardigan Bay was once a land mass, and there still is massive erosion on the east coast - there used to be a medieval city called Dunwich, complete with cathedral - it's just a farm now, the rest of it is under the sea, and in the time of the Abbess Hild, Whitby Abbey was possibly about half a mile inland. these are in the period of recorded history, so who knows what immense land masses we lost in prehistory? When the ice age ended and the seas rose and we were sundered from Europe?

But no, I don't believe Noah put all those animals on an Ark! However there could indeed have been massive floods at many points through history. Such things live on in the 'collective unconscious'. :)

If you give it a little thought you will realise the Old Testament is the history of the Jewish nation. As far as the Jews were concerned the Promised Land was their world. So when the Jewish chroniclers spoke of the world being flooded they did not mean the whole globe, neither would the flood have affected the migration of animals which is a non-argument put forward by atheists. Obviously Noah wasn't going to travel the seven seas and across the continents collecting every single species and the only animals Noah would have had in the Ark would have been local to him. The problem that faces us today is the way humankind has added its own take on what the Bible says and this is why there is so much misunderstanding, which is a shame really.

Flood myths are common across the world - we have our own about Atlantis/Lyonesse. And we did have lost lands too, taken by the sea. Cardigan Bay was once a land mass, and there still is massive erosion on the east coast - there used to be a medieval city called Dunwich, complete with cathedral - it's just a farm now, the rest of it is under the sea, and in the time of the Abbess Hild, Whitby Abbey was possibly about half a mile inland. these are in the period of recorded history, so who knows what immense land masses we lost in prehistory? When the ice age ended and the seas rose and we were sundered from Europe?

But no, I don't believe Noah put all those animals on an Ark! However there could indeed have been massive floods at many points through history. Such things live on in the 'collective unconscious'. :)

I think you put it very well Mathom. :thumbsup:

If you give it a little thought you will realise the Old Testament is the history of the Jewish nation. As far as the Jews were concerned the Promised Land was their world. So when the Jewish chroniclers spoke of the world being flooded they did not mean the whole globe, neither would the flood have affected the migration of animals which is a non-argument put forward by atheists. Obviously Noah wasn't going to travel the seven seas and across the continents collecting every single species and the only animals Noah would have had in the Ark would have been local to him. The problem that faces us today is the way humankind has added its own take on what the Bible says and this is why there is so much misunderstanding, which is a shame really.

So you agree that the old testament is word of a bunch of ignorant desert nomads rather than an all powerful and all knowing super being then?

So you agree that the old testament is word of a bunch of ignorant desert nomads rather than an all powerful and all knowing super being then?

Why do you have to twist everything? You know full well the Israelites were far from ignorant, they were building walled cities, they were experts in working gold and silver, they played the harp and other musical instruments, they built fine temples, there were the scribes, they were educated and the Old Testament is a contemporary record of their nation and their relationship with God.