Sullivan's Chippy Wincobank

Originally posted by nsiebert

GettingonI used to love the cooking, sewing, sport, and social studies,

I liked the music classes also, but maths was my weakest subject, so I go pulled out of the A class after my first year and into the average class, and what a difference, no one really worked, so maybe if you were in an A class you were saved.

Excellent point nsiebert. That probably has alot to do with our, ever so slightly, differing experience.

Do you remember who your maths teacher was?

I think I had a fellow called Palfreyman or some such. Interesting guy, but you did have to work to keep up with him.

I recall the homework always being on something that we hadn't covered yet. Didn't quite appreciate that at the time.

One motivating factor for me was, I recall, one of my mates leaving school (after CSE's) when he was only 15.

I saw him at knocking off time coming out of a factory, and it really hit home that he was still a kid! I was still a kid!

It depressed me - I started putting a little extra effort into my studies. Will never forget it.

Gettingon

The all weather pitch was grass, not the artificial stuff in those days, but I think because it was lower down, it may have been sheltered, not sure why they called it that though.

My maths teacher I think was Mr Andrews, a small old guy, he frightened me to death, he didnt have any sense of humour, and I was always scared to ask if I didnt understand, I was ok in all the other subjects and loved Geography and English, I liked to write and at work they call me the email Queen, because my emails are long like a book.

I remember in music class, our teacher had to leave the classroom for something and we made such a racket, Mr Andrews came in to see what was going on and we all had to sing Men of Harlech out of these music books in a loud voice, and he walked around the classroom to make sure everyone was singing in a loud voice, it was terrible, obviously we all did it, even the rough kids and I look back now and think that way was the only way to control the rough kids, but for the others it just frightened us, and we didnt acheive anything.

Originally posted by nsiebert

Gettingon

The all weather pitch was grass, not the artificial stuff in those days, but I think because it was lower down, it may have been sheltered, not sure why they called it that though.

My maths teacher I think was Mr Andrews, a small old guy, he frightened me to death, he didnt have any sense of humour, and I was always scared to ask if I didnt understand,

Okay, so it was grass. Then I remember it.

It used to turn into a "bog" when it rained because of the drainage down the hill. Used to get ankle deep in mud. I can't think why they'd call it "all-weather", anybody have any ideas?

Re Mr Andrews, the name sounds familiar, can't picture him though.

It'd be interesting if someone had a faculty picture to share with the forum.

the Gunstands on Wincobank hill?

I think there were 2 of them, one red brick, the other a whitish concrete one.

At least one of them you could crawl all the way underneath it, and come out the other side. It was a tight squeeze even as a kid.

Also close by was the "Greyhills", huge piles of gravel(?) where we created tracks to ride our bikes. Probably our own early version of BMX type tracks.

Gettingon

I dont know if you are a member of the friendsreunited website,

but there is actually a photo, you can look at the site without joining, but I joined as I saw people in my class I would like to email.

You may find it very interesting.

Let me know I will send you the address if not, otherwise put in friendsreunited into your search engine and you will easily find it.