Sign in to follow this  

Over-hyped Rooney

After watching tonights England match, it made it even more clear that Wayne Rooney is extremely over rated and is not yet ready for the competitive international stage. He is a prospect for the future but I think the media are getting all too carried away with him. We only started playing when Vassell came on for him, and after that came our 2 goals and we won the match. With Rooney on, he lost possession for us on countless occasions, tried a long range shot that went into row Z, and persistently fouled the opposition giving away free kicks. With Vassell on we had more of a threat up front and started to play better as a team. Anyone agree he just isn't ready yet and the media are overly carried away?

:evil: t020 he's 17 bloody hell give the kid a chance, England got the 3 points just be happy we got that we should have been down at half time 3-0 some people make me :twisted:

But thats exactly my point. He's 17 and doesn't look anywhere near ready for that level. Its a case of Sven taking notice of the media hype if you ask me. Also, notice how we got the 3 points - by bringing off Rooney.

Friendly matches are the time to be giving him 'a chance', not competitive internationals where qualification to the European Championships is at stake. He has not yet done enough to prove himself on that level as he has not really even impressed in friendlies, and his strike rate at Everton isn't amazing really is it? When will James Beattie be given his chance? Hes older and more experienced, and would win the ball in the air and scores goals. He would compliment Owen better I think.

Originally posted by "t020"

Anyone agree he just isn't ready yet and the media are overly carried away?

Did you watch the Sky One program after the match called Wayne's World. It was basically a biographical homage to the Rooney and I thought it was a classic example of over-hype. Like Jon said, he's only 17 and therefore the media are acting irresponsibly by projecting him as a "star".

[edit: I was writing this at the same time as t020 posted!]

oooooooo lets bring on Heskey in stead of Rooney haha

Originally posted by "Jon"

oooooooo lets bring on Heskey in stead of Rooney haha

Beattie? Vassell? Jeffers?

t020 we all know being an England fan is not easy rite so lets be happy we got 3 points and we fight on for another day :D

if i have to moan get rid of the goalkeeper...Seaman is still the better keeper

he's always struck me as a bit of a yobbo - not that I wouldn't have him instead of Kuqi mind :wink:

The media always act irresponsibly!!!