British Acheson Claywheels Lane

I worked at BAcheson in the 60's anyone have any memories ?

They changed to Union Carbide - are they still there?

Union Carbide has been closed for a good few years, not sure exactly when to be honest.

I live opposite on the Middlewood Hospital site and overlook the buildings.

When walking my dogs in Beeley Wood it is possible to view the right into the works. The place is being slowly dismantled but the large chimneys and some out buildings are still in situ.

The company that owns the land is after planning permission to build a large housing complex but are struggling with Sheffield Council to obtain permission.

Hope this helps

My dad worked at achesons in the sixtys .His name was Ernest Egan .I remember he used to work a 12 hour shift and come home black as coal.Did you know him?

Smary

Did you ever come across an old workmate of mine who worked at the 'Black Lead' factory as we used to call it.

His name was Roy Nixon from Birdwell, I guess he'd be an engineer probably in the maintenance.

Happy Days!

They've now begun to dismantle the site, i can't remember what they're planning on building there, i did hear that a steel company was planning on moving there; can't remember who now though.

Was this room there when you was there? I gather it's the canteen / welfare block.

Achesons

My dad used to work there years ago, early 60s, maybe you can remember him Albert Mitchell

My Dad worked at Acheson from 1945 to when he retired in 1972. He worked first at Wincobank and then moved to claywheels Lane. His name was Trevor Jones.

I think the 'blacklead' factory was called British Insulated Callenders Company when I used to play around Batchelors in the late '40's/early '50's. My friend's dad used to work there at that time. and he too used to come home covered in a black shiny coating of whatever they used to make there. He died a terrible death with lungs that were so coated with that stuff that there was no capacity for oxygen in the lungs. Wasn't it called Acheson Electrodes after the war?

My Dad used to work here from 1979 to 1984, in both A and B forming, as an inspector his name is Steve Ibbotson and my Great Uncle also Arthur Garrfitt he work there for around 30 years i believe.

I worked in the office as a teenager for a few months. 1960/1961. Our office manager was called Pauline. They showed how the electrodes worked how they were kept in a sort of "resin' in large baths. The electrodes were huge things. They had a cafeteria where we could buy dinner for next to nothing. The bus would collect us from the beginning of Claywheels lane to the building and then return us to Halifax Rd at the end of day. Their letterhead said British Acheson and Union Carbide. We were close to Bachelors Peas where one of my old mates worked as a comptometer operator (the early version of today's computers.) The environment surrounding was woody and green - it's sad to know suck a horrible sickness came out of it. It was very high tech.

My Dad Used To Work There - His Name Is Derek Walton Understand They Used To Call Him Hitler - Wonder Why

I used to work in the offices don't remember the name - I left in 1967 but I understand it remained opened for quite a long time after that.