Halfway/westfield

I lived in Shortbrook for the first 12 years of my life and then still frequented the area for many years after.  I often say to my kids now that the local hoodies here (yes they are everywhere) would run a mile if they were dropped off by the Golden Keys and Shops area.

Shortbrook was a fantastic place to live when first built, there was a great sense of belonging with many families knowing others and chipping in together, we have photos of street parties from the 1977 jubilee.  It was a great place to explore growing up too, Lots of areas that were still fields (across waterthorpe and all the way through what is now Crystal Peaks) was our playground.

We used to walk to Rother Valley when it first opened, ride our BMX bikes on the seven hills and I do remember the BMX track being built on Carley Drive.

Playing at the "Top" which was the stair tower to the flats at the top of Shortbrook Croft/Shortbrook Walk. There was walkways that went from the flats up into the Garland Estate, the castle and beyond.  Loads of good memories, it was ok at the time, would I live there now?  Probably not but there is a bad element everywhere, take nothing away from the people who live in that area, they are decent folk (mostly).